Covariant and contravariant vecotr questions

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between covariant and contravariant vectors and derivatives. Displacement vectors are used as the basis for contravariant vectors, while gradients are used as the basis for covariant vectors. There is some confusion over the term "gradient vector" and its definition, but it is generally understood as the tangent vector field with components representing partial derivatives. It is recommended to read the linked posts for a better understanding of the terminology and concepts.
drlang
Hi

I am trying to learn about covariant and contravariant vectors and derivatives. The videos I have been watching talk about displacement vector as the basis for contravariant vectors and gradient as the basis for covariant vectors. Can somone tlel me the difference between displacemement and gradient vectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
This post and the ones linked to at the end explain some of what you need to know.

The term "displacement vector" doesn't make much sense to me. They are tangent vectors, nothing more, nothing less.

Hi Fredrik

I am using the terms he used.

Can you clarify the difference between tangent vector and gradient vector. Maybe that would help me.

I don't think "gradient vector" is a standard term, and I'm not sure what they mean by it. The gradient of a real-valued function f is defined as the tangent vector field with components ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^i}##, if we're talking about functions defined on ##\mathbb R^n##. So maybe that's what they mean. If we're talking about some arbitrary smooth manifold with a metric, then the gradient is defined as the vector field with components ##g^{ij}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^j}##, where the ##g^{ij}## are the components of the inverse of the matrix of components of the metric, and the partial derivatives with respect to a coordinate system x are defined in one of the posts I linked to.

If you're only concerned with ##\mathbb R^n##, and not arbitrary smooth manifolds with metrics, then some things get simpler, but I still think it's worth the time read the posts I linked to, because they will make it easier to understand the terminology, and what's really going on in some definitions and calculations.

Sure, I'd be happy to explain the difference between displacement and gradient vectors.

Displacement vectors represent the change in position of a point or object in space. They are typically represented by an arrow pointing from the initial position to the final position of the object. These vectors are contravariant, meaning they change direction when the coordinate system is rotated.

On the other hand, gradient vectors represent the change in a scalar quantity, such as temperature or pressure, in a given direction. They are typically represented by a vector with magnitude and direction, pointing in the direction of maximum increase of the scalar quantity. These vectors are covariant, meaning they do not change direction when the coordinate system is rotated.

In terms of derivatives, the gradient vector is the covariant form of the derivative, while the displacement vector is the contravariant form. This means that when calculating derivatives in different coordinate systems, the gradient vector will remain the same, while the displacement vector will change direction.

I hope this helps clarify the difference between these two types of vectors. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Covariant and contravariant vecotr questions

1. What is the difference between a covariant and contravariant vector?

A covariant vector changes its components in the same way as the coordinates of the underlying space change, while a contravariant vector changes its components in the opposite way.

2. How are covariant and contravariant vectors related?

Covariant and contravariant vectors are related through the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between the coordinate systems.

3. Can covariant and contravariant vectors be transformed into each other?

Yes, covariant and contravariant vectors can be transformed into each other using the metric tensor. This transformation is known as index raising and lowering.

4. What are some practical applications of covariant and contravariant vectors?

Covariant and contravariant vectors are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They are particularly useful in describing and understanding the behavior of objects in curved spaces and in the study of relativity.

5. How are covariant and contravariant vectors represented mathematically?

In mathematics, covariant and contravariant vectors are often represented using indices. Covariant vectors are denoted with a lower index, while contravariant vectors are denoted with an upper index.