Vector Field Commutator Identity in Covariant Derivative

In summary: Yes, the problem is that if f is a scalar field, then by Spivak's theorem, f(P_0)=1, so the commutator reduces to just A B. However, this doesn't look true, because if A and B are both vectors then their product should be a vector, not just A B.
schulmannerism
I am trying to solve an exercise from MTW Gravitation and the following issue has come up:

Let D denote uppercase delta (covariant derivative operator)
[ _ , _ ] denotes the commutator
f is a scalar field, and A and B are vector fields

Question:
Is it true that
[D_A,D_B]f = D_[A,B]f
?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using a more familiar notation, i'll write

[tex] \left[\nabla_{\mu},\nabla_{\nu}\right]_{-}f(x) \ ? \ \nabla_{\left[\mu,\nu\right]} f(x) [/tex]

A remark. I've never seen the operator in the RHS. I'm sure [tex] ? \ \leftrightarrow \ \neq [/tex].

Daniel.

Well the original problem is to show that if [tex]f(P)[/tex] is a scalar field such that [tex]f(P_0)=1[/tex], and [tex]A,B,C[/tex] are vector fields, then
[tex][\nabla_A,\nabla_B](f(P)C(P))-[\nabla_A,\nabla_B{A}](C(P))=[\nabla_{[A,B]}(C(P))[/tex]
Unless I am doing something wrong, this immediately reduces to the above identity, which doesn't look true to me either...

Last edited:
Hurkyl -- your (deleted) post was helpful. I see now that I was having trouble with the notation in which a vector times a scalar field denotes the directional derivative in that direction. Then the identity does follow, as you pointed out.
Thanks

Well, the identity in your original post seems clear, unless I'm making a dumb mistake (which is easily possible): according to Spivak, [itex]\nabla_X f = X f[/itex], so we have:

[tex]
[\nabla_A, \nabla_B] f = (\nabla_A \nabla_B - \nabla_B \nabla_A) f = (AB - BA) f = [A, B] f = \nabla_{[A, B]} f
[/tex]

Your second post boggles me, because it looks like you're trying to take X(Y) where X and Y are both vector fields.

Whoops I wrote my second post incorrectly, it's editted.

Ouch, i guess you both realized that i hadn't read the "A and B are vector fields" part and mistakenly took them as subscripts.

Daniel.

What is a covariant derivative identity?

A covariant derivative identity is a mathematical equation that relates the covariant derivatives of a tensor field to its derivatives and the Christoffel symbols, which represent the connection between coordinate systems in curved spaces.

Why is the covariant derivative identity important in physics?

The covariant derivative identity is important in physics because it allows us to properly define and calculate derivatives of tensors in curved spaces, which are essential in many physical theories such as general relativity.

How is the covariant derivative identity derived?

The covariant derivative identity is derived by applying the Leibniz rule to the definition of the covariant derivative, and then using the chain rule to express the derivatives in terms of the Christoffel symbols.

What is the difference between covariant derivative identity and ordinary derivative identity?

The covariant derivative identity takes into account the curvature of space, while the ordinary derivative identity only applies to flat spaces. Additionally, the covariant derivative is defined in terms of basis vectors that vary with position, whereas the ordinary derivative is defined in terms of fixed basis vectors.

Can the covariant derivative identity be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the covariant derivative identity can be extended to higher dimensions by adding additional terms to account for the curvature of higher dimensional spaces. This is known as the generalized covariant derivative identity.