Cover songs versus the original track, which ones are better?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinball1970
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Track
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2,607 replies · 201K views
I didn't know there was a cover for Dick Dales classic: I like them both.It "sounds like the Dick Dale original has more horn. Sax ?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
Roger Daltry -- Born To Run


I didn't know he sang that.

Blinded by the light, the long version with the guitar solo, is one of my favourite songs. Manfred Mann's earth band.
Because the night, Pattie Smith.
Both written by Bruce Springsteen.
 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_in_the_Street
  • Martha and the Vandellas - Dancing In The Street (1964)


    (1965 - Ed Sullivan Show)
  • The Kinks - Dancing In the Street (1965)
  • The Mamas and the Papas - Dancing In The Street (1966)
  • Van Halen - Dancing in the Street (1982)
    ( US Festival 1983 (@42:25) )
  • Davie Bowie and Mick Jagger - Dancing in the Street (1985)
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, Point Conception and difalcojr
My very favorite Motown group! Martha Reeves and the Vandellas. Thks. Covers not close to the original. My favorite Motown song is by them too.

 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and robphy
robphy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_in_the_Street
  • Martha and the Vandellas - Dancing In The Street (1964)


    (1965 - Ed Sullivan Show)
  • The Kinks - Dancing In the Street (1965)
  • The Mamas and the Papas - Dancing In The Street (1966)
  • Van Halen - Dancing in the Street (1982)
    ( US Festival 1983 (@42:25) )
  • Davie Bowie and Mick Jagger - Dancing in the Street (1985)

Rock & Motown :?: Maybe Bowie and Jagger can pull it off.But Van Halen?? They maybe can get by as a second/third rate rock band - But forget about Motown
 
Last edited:
"Danke Schoen" Originally composed by Bert Kaempfert as an instrumental
 
morrobay said:
I didn't know there was a cover for Dick Dales classic: I like them both.It "sounds like the Dick Dale original has more horn. Sax ?
I forgot that too. Also, it was "Wipeout" by the Surfaris that I remembered. Ventures covered it, original better. Ventures' bit hit was "Walk, Don't Run".


 
DaveE said:
Anything written by Bob Dylan but performed by someone else. Just saying... that guy can write but just can't sing at all. YMMV
I want to respectfully suggest that Dylan's version of Lay lady Lay is actually the best of all the many versions out there. I propose that he could actually sing when he wanted to, but chose mostly to sing in that nasal style. I also like his version of All along the watchtower, but of course there he has Jimmy Hendricks to compete with.

As another example, I happen to think his unmusical singing style is actually perfect for Maggie's Farm, but can imagine enjoying Richie Havens singing it too.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and BillTre
Like Butterfield's blues version better. Pop is OK, but doesn't have Michael Bloomfield. Think the Monkees learned to play the musical instruments only after they started their band, if I remember right. "East/West" isn't really a blues song, too. It was like one of a kind. Too bad they all did not stay together longer as a band.
 
Indeed. For this style of blues Paul Butterfield Blues is it. Saw them live at Cuesta Junior college in Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo early 70's of all places. Was there when they arrived: Big city boys coming to this small converted army base with cows roaming around. Edit: Including Paul Butterfield
 
Last edited:
I may be the only one who feels this, but after listening again to All along the watch tower by Hendricks and Dylan, the Hendricks version was a macho rock version, while the Dylan version was moving and insightful. It was if Jimmie didn't understand the sadness in the song. I had to quit listening to Dylan's because it was making me sad, and turn to Jimmie's for the upbeat fun of it and showoff guitar riffs. I felt enjoyment and admiration of Hendricks version, but I felt no deeper emotion. I still like both very much, but no longer grant that it is Hendricks' song.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and difalcojr
morrobay said:
Indeed. For this style of blues Paul Butterfield Blues is it. Saw them live at Cuesta Junior college in Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo early 70's of all places. Was there when they arrived: Big city boys coming to this small converted army base with cows roaming around.
Bet that was good. Most of that band stayed together for a short time after Butterfield left, and I saw them then at the Family Dog, where it was located for a short time at Ocean beach in San Francisco. It was exciting. Steve Miller also played that hard, fast blues style in Chicago and then in San Francisco with Boz Scaggs and Tim Davis, drums. But only a little on his first album (song "Stepping Stone") and then mostly did rock after that.
 
mathwonk said:
I felt enjoyment and admiration of Hendricks version, but I felt no deeper emotion. I still like both very much, but no longer grant that it is Hendricks' song.
Didn't really like that song that much ever. Thought all the other songs on that album were better, almost. Like Dylan's original version better too. Hendrix was a poet too, though. Words in this song have always stuck with me:

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and mathwonk
morrobay said:


morrobay said:
. This cover sounds rock&roll or pop but not blues


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary,_Mary_(song)
"Mary, Mary" is a song written by Michael Nesmith and first recorded by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band for their 1966 album East-West. Nesmith's band, the Monkees, later recorded it for More of the Monkees (1967). Hip hop group Run–D.M.C. revived the song in the late 1980s, with an adaptation that appeared in the U.S. record charts.

Here's the Run DMC version ( start at t=50s )
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and difalcojr
One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer:

John Lee Hooker:


George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers:


I favor George's version. It is to me a Bar Rocked up version of Blues.
Its very fun.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, difalcojr and robphy
BillTre said:
One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer:

John Lee Hooker:


George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers:


I favor George's version. It is to me a Bar Rocked up version of Blues.
Its very fun.


I also like George's version.

Here's an earlier version with this title
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Bourbon,_One_Scotch,_One_Beer
… Scotch and Bourbon switched.

https://theimmortaljukebox.com/2018...amos-milburn-one-scotch-one-bourbon-one-beer/

78rpm: One Scotch, One Bourbon, One Beer - Amos Milburn, 1953 - Aladdin 3197
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970, difalcojr and BillTre
mathwonk said:
I want to respectfully suggest that Dylan's version of Lay lady Lay is actually the best of all the many versions out there. I propose that he could actually sing when he wanted to, but chose mostly to sing in that nasal style. I also like his version of All along the watchtower, but of course there he has Jimmy Hendricks to compete with.

As another example, I happen to think his unmusical singing style is actually perfect for Maggie's Farm, but can imagine enjoying Richie Havens singing it too.
Agreed.
Hendrix though ;)
 
fresh_42 said:
I think it has at least a reason to exist. It is differently interpreted and doesn't destroy the memory of the original. They both are good songs. What makes me angry is, if people cover an already perfect song and ruin it, i.e. if they do not add something, a different interpretation, a different arrangement, or whatever.

This is a cover that makes sense:

Original:



Cover:



... and this is an example where there wasn't any need to record the cover. The original was better and the cover didn't add or change anything. Just the same song, only worse.

Original:



Cover:


True. Imagine, e.g., a remake of Bohemian Rhapsody. How could you improve on that?
 
How about Rod Stewart's " Do you Think I'm sexy", vs the original Brazilian song?

Or Kiss' 2000 man vs that of the Rolling Stones?
 
WWGD said:
True. Imagine, e.g., a remake of Bohemian Rhapsody. How could you improve on that?
Some songs can only be ruined by covers. I think John Miles's Music is another example. You can only pimp it with a larger orchestra.
 
Eddie Cochran's Twenty Flight Rock by the Rolling Stones

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970 and difalcojr
Which version do you like best? The Buddy Holly original?



Or this cover by Blind Faith with Stevie Winwood, Eric Clapton, and Ginger Baker:



Or this Santana cover?

 
Hornbein said:
Eddie Cochran's Twenty Flight Rock by the Rolling Stones


That was Macca's audition number July 1957 for the Beatles when he had just turned 15. John Lennon was impressed he knew all the words!