Coversation starters awkward silence

• Thread starter photon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about dealing with awkward silences when talking to a girl. Various suggestions are given, such as complimenting her, asking open-ended questions, or using Altoids as a conversation starter. Some individuals admit to still experiencing awkward silences, while others share their strategies for avoiding them.
She thinks you're a riot? Well, then it's half in the bag! I think what you're stressing about is this pressure to be funny all the time - and you don't have to be! Would you want to be around someone who is making jokes constantly? (no offense, trib) It's perfectly ok to have non-humorous conversations with her. Just ENGAGE her in conversation. Let the comedy follow naturally. You want her to like you for YOU, right? But your natural sense of humor is not all there is to what makes you special - you're also very intelligent, sincere, and kind. You should let her see all of your great qualities, not just one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Great! So I just sort of talk, sounding like I care, (i do care) and try to relax and go with the flow? I can handle that. I'll do just that when I see her tommorrow. But now, I'm going to hit the sack, so I'll post updates tommorow afternoon.

Later :wink:

yes, if you are at ease, you'll put her at ease. Then things will get moving.
good night. good luck!

The following line worked well for me: Do you need help giving that enema to your patient?

Ivan Seeking said:
The following line worked well for me: Do you need help giving that enema to your patient?
Is that how you met Tsu?? :rofl:
How romantic!

We spent our first date moving mobile CAT Scanners and doing ER patients. :tongue2:

Ivan Seeking said:
We spent our first date moving mobile CAT Scanners and doing ER patients. :tongue2:
That is SO cute! I'm always complaining I never meet any guys at work. :biggrin:

Math Is Hard said:
ok, I think that's good, BUT there's almost an implication there, like maybe she should feel guilty because she hasn't been around or hasn't talked to you. (But I over read things). Also, you are using a statement vs. a question, which doesn't require conversational response. Maybe try something like, "Hey, I haven't seen you around. Classes keeping you busy? What are you taking right now?" note: Last sentence is interrogative requiring her to respond, so it can keep the conversation flowing.

Any others want to give feedback on this?
So it's true, women analyze everything

P.S. Your all insane.

doing er patients? What the hell is "doing er patients?"
There are laws about that you know

Tribdog, ER stands for Emergency Room, so they were probably unconscious when they did them, that's OK

oh, if they were unconscious. nevermind

tribdog said:
It doesn't, but funny is easier. and funny is sexy. and if you are already laughing when you get dissed there is less danger of breaking down into tears.

He said awkwards silence, and not awkward moment of laughter.

It doesn't have to be funny right out of the blue all the damn time. If you try to hard to impress, you will find yourself stuck for the rest of your life.

I used to have difficulties, but I go over myself with stupid imagining bull****. Just talk and funny things come around. Your first line does not have be funny, since that may seem like you are trying to hard.

Smurf said:
So it's true, women analyze everything

P.S. Your all insane.

I analyze everything, but AFTER the event. Not so helpful, since you realize you are an idiot AFTER the event.

Math Is Hard said:
That is SO cute! I'm always complaining I never meet any guys at work. :biggrin:

All the girls I've met are from work. It makes it hard if they already have a boyfriend, however.

Smurf said:
So it's true, women analyze everything.
Not all women. That's a generalization. But I am definitely an over-analyzer, which probably has more to do with me being an analyst by profession than anything else. :smile:
Smurf said:
P.S. Your all insane.
Who are you calling insane? :confused: All women? Or all of the posters to this thread?
chrono said:
All the girls I've met are from work. It makes it hard if they already have a boyfriend, however.
All the guys I work with are married or gay. :cry:

Math Is Hard said:
All the guys I work with are married or gay. :cry:
But never both, not in America. It's against the law.

One question from me, what if the girl is significantly younger? I'm 18 and this girl is 14, very cute and I think very thoughtful in in intellectual way. I like her and when our mutual friends come chat me, she is with them but so quiet. Is she shy? Does she even like me?! (Not that I expect you to know, but does it sound that way?)

Don't be stupid. I'll call the cops on you myself. I better leave now because I'm already fighting with some lady in the duck post. I don't have the energy to handle this genius.

tribdog said:
But never both, not in America. It's against the law.

Y'know, now I've changed my mind from thinking they should be allowed to get married, to thinking the should be forced to get married! That way, all I need to do is scan for wedding bands and don't keep wasting my time flirting with cute gay men. :grumpy:

tumor said:
This always breaks the ice: let's shag! :wink:

:rofl:

Nice shoes! Wanna *&$%?

:rofl:
Math Is Hard said:
I say, "Hey." and then look down at my shoes. :shy:

BWAHAHAHA

*runs and hides, dodging rotting tomatos the whole way*

Last edited:
theCandyman said:
One question from me, what if the girl is significantly younger? I'm 18 and this girl is 14, very cute and I think very thoughtful in in intellectual way. I like her and when our mutual friends come chat me, she is with them but so quiet. Is she shy? Does she even like me?! (Not that I expect you to know, but does it sound that way?)

Dude, I knew this girl who is 16 and I'm 20. Man, while it was slightly going on (never did ask her out, well I did, but she somehow got a boyfriend then) I just kept worrying if the age difference mattered.

theCandyman said:
I suggest you read this thread. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=47887

Talk about how the government is spying on you using satellites. Offer her a tin foil hat.

tribdog said:
Don't be stupid. I'll call the cops on you myself. I better leave now because I'm already fighting with some lady in the duck post. I don't have the energy to handle this genius.
hmm..there's just something very funny about the idea of tribdog fighting with a lady in a "duck" post. I got to go look...
yep! FUNNY! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
By the way, if anyone sees me after a bad car crash dying by the side of the road, please put a bullet in my head immediately. I really don't want to wake up in Ivan and Tsu's "Enema-mobile".

If you are 20 and can't pick up a 16 year old or 18 and can't pick up a 14 year old, that is sad.

Younger girls envy older guys. They try to act mature and normally they fool the dumb idiot male into thinking she's smart and what not.

Sad... :frown: Sad... :frown:

What to impress a girl?

Talk. This will work since you haven't talked before, and she will be an awe that you can speak.

Next. Try walking and talking.

I just want to ask since i did onot know the laws back home yet:
I got the idea about over 18 going out with under 18, but if both under are 18..is that ok? Well, i guess it is not, but i just want to make sure...[ I spent most of my life living overseas...]

No it is not ok.

In Canada, age of consent is 14. They are trying to change it, but I disagree because that cuases problems for certain situations. Especially during this generation where the females want "it" just as much or more than the males, so why should the male pay the price and be forced to make the "right" decision, while the females can do what they want since we know that males are the only ones that will be looked down at and the only ones to pay for it.

Not fair. Too late to bring this into legislation. Everything is good right now, let's not mess it up with stupid charges because your dumb slutty daughter wants it.

JasonRox said:
If you are 20 and can't pick up a 16 year old or 18 and can't pick up a 14 year old, that is sad.

Dude, I can't help it if she'd rather date a loser.

Photon, just be yourself and genuine. Do not hide your feeling or pretend you are someone else.

Don't constantly try to be funny if you are not. Don't pretend that you don't fancy her if you don't. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. We all learn from our own mistakes. But we learn better from others'.

Guys guys guys [every body is listening? :uhh: ok i will continue...]

Lets go back to the main track...i think the "branch" that we opened we spoke aboutit enough, aren't we? [quickly as last thingy to add:JasonRex, I agree totally with you, even I am "too young" to drink alcohol by the law...and don't have daughters yet! You speak diamonds! :smile: ]

Well, I have a problem: I was going out with a girl when i was in UK at high school...but after i came here to U.S ...we are kind of " not talking that much" and I do not what the heck prevent us! She went back home to Holland... [Well, i was in international school..] and when i speak on the phone...usually comes up with a very very very classical lines [How are you? How was the last couple of days? How Uni is goin...etc? Yeah some funny thingys might happenes, but i am now really noticing that the style is "solid" because you know how much disadvantage you are in when you speak at the phone and mising punches of event because of the "distance"...the problem now is i want to continue..and i am suspecting now that the interest in our relationship becoming less! I am in NO-WAY thinknig of break-up from my side... how i can keep this odd situation going?

Any help...please :biggrin:

screen your calls, don't call her back, tell her you died, burn her house down, kill her dog. then she'll be distraught with horror that she'll break up with you. Problem solved :biggrin:

No no no , this way i will ruined it up to the MAX! A reason of which she took my attention at the beginning is because she from the kind that this trickey thingys will not on her...she respect me so much..but i know really well that as she knows me that i will never kiss "shoes" even the consequence is bad...she will not do as well! [ at least i guess...and i do not want to risk once to see if i am wrong here!]

The situation is kinda odd, ruined up..i know , but i have hope always :biggrin: [ is the last part sounds like Hollywood-ic movie? Nay..]

All three of those posts were riddled with such bad grammar that i could not make sense of either of them. I'm so lost...

:confused: so am i.