Get Vaccinated Against the Covid Delta Variant

In summary: Delta variant, a Coronavirus strain first detected in India, is now officially designated as a variant of concern by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This designation is given to variants shown to be more transmissible than the original strain, which can cause more severe disease and potentially reduce the effectiveness of treatments or vaccines. As a result, the CDC is urging people who have not yet been vaccinated against COVID-19 to do so now. The Delta variant looks like it might be up to 60 percent more infectious than other variants of COVID-19, and as a result, the CDC is concerned that it could lead to more widespread and severe infections. However, both vaccine versions currently available are still effective against Delta-infect
PeroK said:
The government has recently revised the UK population figures using the 2020 Census data. The adult population has fallen by one million from the previous estimate. That means that, in fact, 88% of the adult population has had at least one jab; and 70% have had both - which represents a small but significant increase
The 'no documents required' for the Vaccine in London was a good move. Illegally placed peoples.
They won't count in the numbers presumably?
Evo said:
I edited it.

More about why Americans aren't getting vaccinated. Do other countries have this problem with people refusing vaccinations?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-tops-nation-covid-cases-151309966.html
India. My colleagues out there say many are distrustful and do not take it. There are educational programs out there.
UK COLUMN is a right wing group here that put false information on their website regarding the Vaccines. That nonsense then gets quoted during discussions on line.

Likes benorin and atyy
Biology news on Phys.org
Here's my favorite COVID charting and mapping site, featuring among others this particular page with emphasis on virus variants by region, and by country+date: https://www.coron...ants.php

Nice site, only a couple of months old, but already with some very informative charts and maps.

• Informative
Likes benorin, Laroxe, .Scott and 2 others
pinball1970 said:
These guys too. @bhobba will have seen this?

Yes, Aussies have the same problem. But at the moment, we are just working on vaccinating as many as possible as fast as possible. Plus, we are undoing the bad messaging about the AZ vaccine. We did not explain the minuscule risk well.

Thanks
Bill

Likes benorin and pinball1970
Evo said:
I edited it.

More about why Americans aren't getting vaccinated. Do other countries have this problem with people refusing vaccinations?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-tops-nation-covid-cases-151309966.html
I read that article this morning.

State health department data shows more than a third of Liberty and Calhoun residents suffer from obesity, a major risk factor for COVID-19 complications.
Obesity is often associated with hyperlipidemia, which is one of the comorbidities with COVID-19.
https://www.brighamandwomens.org/he...ditions/hyperlipidemia-high-blood-cholesterol

Dr. Davis works a small clinic in Blountstown, Calhoun County, Florida.
Many of her patients have chronic kidney disease, which often accompanies high blood pressure and diabetes, making them vulnerable to the virus and complications.
Chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure and diabetes are also comorbidities with COVID-19.

New York state tracks the top 10 comorbidites with COVID-19: 1 Hypertension, 2 Diabetes, 3 Hyperlipidemia, 6 Renal disease, . . . . Dementia is 4 and Coronary artery disease is 5.

"The association of hypertension and coronary heart disease is a frequent one. There are several pathophysiologic mechanisms which link both diseases. Hypertension induces endothelial dysfunction, exacerbates the atherosclerotic process and it contributes to make the atherosclerotic plaque more unstable."
https://www.nature.com/articles/1001345

And there is the possibility of re-infection, ostensibly with the Delta variant.
Edna Roberts, 42, of Blountstown, was one of those infected before. Last week, she again tested positive for COVID-19. This time she and her whole family fell ill. She said they're all having trouble breathing, and it "knocked" her out.
Sadly, someone thought he could beat it, but succumbed to COVID-19. He was adamant about not getting the vaccine. He was 34.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-california-man-in-his-early-30s-who-derided-vaccines-on-twitter-and-instagram-died-of-covid-19/ar-AAMtnul

Yet another sad story - An Alabama mother who lost her [28-yearold] son to Covid says not getting the vaccine is her biggest regret
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/alabama-mother-lost-her-son-194410415.html
His last uttered phrase is still etched in Christy Carpenter's mind: "This is not a hoax, this is real," Curt said, according to his mother.
Christy Carpenter has long term effects, even after 'recovering' from the infection.
Even after being discharged from the hospital, Christy Carpenter said, she could not drive or work until late May. She said she has been on pulmonary therapy ever since and still struggles with fatigue, hair loss and "covid brain."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes benorin, Evo, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Zeke137 said:
Here's my favorite COVID charting and mapping site, featuring among others this particular page with emphasis on virus variants by region, and by country+date: https://www.coron...ants.php

Nice site, only a couple of months old, but already with some very informative charts and maps.
I like that site.

Here's a screen shot of one of their charts showing how the Delta variant went from about 25% to 80% of the cases in 4 weeks. It abruptly reversed the downward infection trend in the US. It is creating a huge problem in states with low vaccination rates.

BTW: My state (New Hampshire) has had the lowest "Daily new cases/100K" in the US for the last few days.
This isn't because our case rates are going down - just that they are rising very slowly. With a vaccination rate 64%, it's not clear why we are doing so well. Neighboring Vermont had been doing better than us and has a vaccination rate of 75%. But both of us are getting infections in tourist areas - so perhaps we have healthier tourists?

Edit: Sorry, this image was not originally included.
COVID Variant Chart.png

Last edited:
Likes benorin, OmCheeto and Astronuc
.Scott said:
BTW: My state (New Hampshire) has had the lowest "Daily new cases/100K" in the US for the last few days.
This isn't because our case rates are going down - just that they are rising very slowly. With a vaccination rate 64%, it's not clear why we are doing so well. Neighboring Vermont had been doing better than us and has a vaccination rate of 75%. But both of us are getting infections in tourist areas - so perhaps we have healthier tourists?
Remember that the first wave of COVID was highly clustered. The same was true of Delta in the UK - it was initially clustered in certain towns. It takes some time to get more of an even spread across the country.

Evo said:
45% of Americans are STUPID, it just sickens me. (edited)
https://news.yahoo.com/ap-norc-poll-most-unvaccinated-144516547.html

This is not a correct number. The survey says that 45% of unvaccinated American adults will definitely not receive the vaccine. Given that ~69% of the adults in the US have received at least one dose of the vaccine, this would amount to only about 14% of US adults.

However, I agree with the assessment of their stupidity.

• Haha
Likes benorin, russ_watters, artis and 5 others
Ygggdrasil said:
This is not a correct number. The survey says that 45% of unvaccinated American adults will definitely not receive the vaccine. Given that ~69% of the adults in the US have received at least one dose of the vaccine, this would amount to only about 14% of US adults.

However, I agree with the assessment of their stupidity.
Well, that might be the correct number of stupid unvaccinated adults, but I still hold to my AT LEAST 45% of Americans are stupid (my own opinion) based on just the things I read every day, doesn't have to be Covid related. :oldeek:

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes benorin, TeethWhitener, BillTre and 1 other person
My GF is vaccinated but came down with symptoms last weekend. She did test positive for Covid but I don't know which variant. She had some rough days and it has taken a week. But she is feeling much better today. Given that she was fairly ill, it might have been really bad if she wasn't vaccinated.

Lucky for me she had been out of town and I hadn't seen her for a couple of weeks. We were supposed to spend last weekend together but never made it that far. :oldcry:

Ivan Seeking said:
My GF is vaccinated but came down with symptoms last weekend. She did test positive for Covid but I don't know which variant. She had some rough days and it has taken a week. But she is feeling much better today. Given that she was fairly ill, it might have been really bad if she wasn't vaccinated.

Lucky for me she had been out of town and I hadn't seen her for a couple of weeks. We were supposed to spend last weekend together but never made it that far. :oldcry:
There is this article, https://abcnews.go.com/Health/stanf...hrough-cases-covid-19-fully/story?id=79007407, where 7 fully vaccinated students have caught Covid-19.

Stupid is normal. There are three variants on stupid:
1) Ones who trust their own estimates - they can potentially be reasoned with - but this is a minority;
2) Ones who rely on unreliable sources - reasoning will not work - changing their opinion is an exercise in conversion; and
3) Ones who rely on reliable sources - if they're not already vaccinated, they're ready.

Likes benorin, BillTre and Evo
From before the Pandemic. Nothing has really changed.

Evo said:
...I still hold to my AT LEAST 45% of Americans are stupid...
Well that's not too bad, it puts 55% of us above average. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Tom

• Haha
Likes benorin and Evo
Sydney still getting worse - but slowly:
https://www.couriermail.com.au/coronavirus/nsw-covid-updates-lane-cove-west-public-school-student-positive/live-coverage/e21f6e6565d9ad317225f0f63f596566?utm_source=CourierMail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Editorial&utm_content=CM_LATESTNEWS_BREAKING-CUR_01&net_sub_id=285783538&type=curated&position=1&overallPos=1

It is quite scary what is happening in Sydney. In NZ, Covid has been detected in waste water up in the New Plymouth area - hopefully there is no community spread happening which is going undetected otherwise. The Govt is telling people who have recently returned from Australia who are in that area, or anyone showing signs, to get tested.

Likes bhobba
It seems that at least in EU where I'm at they have now reached a conclusion that those who have been infected are fine to just get one shot as being previously ill already gives you the base and then all you care for is the booster to prolong the immunity you already have like in my case. I tested my blood already twice and I got a good level of antibodies.
That being said I plan to get the shot at the end of my 6 month certificate which seems fine.

But this got me wondering, is it the case that the vaccine side effects are mainly also the ones experienced from Covid itself? So in theory if I had the real thing and had it pretty rough but my organs apart from lungs were all fine (lungs are now fine too) then I guess I also shouldn't be in the tiny risk group that can get myocarditis?
I'm just wondering have there been any studies that link infection side effects with vaccine side effects to show what we all probably anticipate that the vaccine cannot cause other side effects than the real infection? Although I guess here there is a difference between the types of vaccine like "classical" vs "mRNA"At least it seems so for other "classical" vaccines. When I got the tick encephalitis shot I had like a week of dull head and rather strong loss of power and stamina as well as bad appetite, essentially a small version of the "real deal" or what goes on in real encephalitis cases.
Just to let it out there, I know a man who had the real encephalitis from a tick and he was like 104 F for about a month back and forth and he could barely pee or get up from bed, he did recover fully but damn I wouldn't want that kind of experience, even my Covid was easier.

artis said:
But this got me wondering, is it the case that the vaccine side effects are mainly also the ones experienced from Covid itself?
Human immune system has a quite uniform early response toolset for handling (suspected) infections (fever, etc.) and vaccines are - well, they are too suspected infections. So no wonder here. Just the direction of approach is not the best.

Likes benorin
@Rive what do you mean by "direction of approach" ?

I mean, the way it was written were hinting a link between Covid an vaccine, while it's about both having a set of standard responses from the immune system.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/Surely there is still time for things to go haywire but if the situation up until this point is of any significance then look at the "daily new cases" worldwide meter, it seems even though the Delta is more transmissible the third wave overall will not be as high as the second, the July month first and second peak don't differ as much as the ones in the months of the 2nd wave.

Why the Delta variant is so dangerous for the unvaccinated
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-variant-dangerous-unvaccinated-142806647.html

“So far, almost all of the hospitalizations and deaths that we’re seeing — upwards of 99% of those cases — are among the unvaccinated,” Kristen Choi, assistant professor at UCLA School of Nursing, said on Yahoo Finance Live (video above). “So despite this variant — the way it’s changed, that’s it’s more transmissible — vaccines are still our No. 1 line of defense. And it’s going to be critical that we keep making progress on getting adults and kids vaccinated here in the U.S.”

Cases are up in New York state, with nearly 2000 cases/day. Deaths however have not substantially increased with mortality rates of less than of equal to 4 per day, but yesterday, the number spiked to 9 in one day, which maybe due to delay in reporting. Mortality rate may start to increase due to a lag in mortality with respect to positive cases. New York state has tested more than 60.7 million persons, or more than 3x the total population. I have not been tested, while my wife (prior to medical procedure) and son (exposure at work) have each been tested twice. We all continue to wear masks in public despite being fully vaccinated for several months.

As of Saturday, July 24, NY state has identified 2120155 positive cases cumulatively, or nearly 11% of the 19.45 million population. The state reports 43055 deaths (cumulatively) due to Covid-19, but NY Times reports 53228 deaths, which may include ~9800 probable or suspected deaths due to Covid-19.

Florida will soon pass 2.5 million cases (38670 deaths), Texas just passed 3 million cases (53156 deaths), and California leads with more than 3.9 million cases (64225 deaths). The number of deaths likely includes probable with confirmed. The US has had more than 600k deaths due to Covid-19.

• Informative
Likes bhobba and pinball1970
The Delta Variant Is the Symptom of a Bigger Threat: Vaccine Refusal
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/25/health/coronavirus-vaccine-refusal.html
The more contagious delta variant may be getting the blame, but fueling its rise is an older, more familiar foe: vaccine hesitancy and refusal, long pervasive in the United States. Were a wider swath of the population vaccinated, there would be no resurgence — of the delta variant, alpha variant or any other version of the coronavirus.

While mild breakthrough infections may be more common than once thought, the vaccines effectively prevent severe illness and death. Yet nearly half the population remains unvaccinated and unprotected. About 30% of adults have not received even a single dose, and the percentage is much higher in some parts of the country.

But delta is by no means the wickedest variant out there. Gamma and lambda are waiting in the wings, and who knows what frightful versions are already flourishing undetected in the far corners of the world, perhaps even here in America.
Houston Methodist Hospital, which operates eight hospitals in its network, said the first lambda case was confirmed Monday.
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/texas-hospital-reports-1st-case-lambda-covid-19/story?id=78943641

The Gamma Variant's Rise in Washington State
https://www.medpagetoday.com/special-reports/exclusives/93415
Washington state's leading COVID-19 strain remains Alpha (B.1.1.7), first detected in the U.K. But according to recent data released by the state's Department of Health (DOH), cases caused by Gamma reached 16.3% in mid-June -- a decrease from a high of 20.6% in May. Delta cases increased by more than 10% from May to June, now making up 17.6% of infections in the state -- all while Alpha cases continue to slowly dwindle.

• Sad
  • Informative
Likes Evo, bhobba, PeroK and 1 other person
This is a reason a large portion of the states in areas where the Covid Delta cases are rising fastest, these states are highly Evangelical.

Since the early months of the Coronavirus pandemic, Greg Locke, the pastor at a Nashville-area church, has repeatedly called Covid a hoax, undermined emergency mandates and refused to comply with guidance from public health officials.

This week, Locke took his defiance a step further, making a sharp warning regarding mask-wearing.

If "you start showing up [with] all these masks and all this nonsense, I will ask you to leave," Locke, 45, told scores of Global Vision Bible Church parishioners during his sermon on Sunday. His statement was followed by cheers and applause.

"I am not playing these Democrat games up in this church," he added.

Global Vision Bible Church did not immediately respond to The Washington Post's request for comment.

Locke's fiery five-minute diatribe, in which he also denied the existence of the delta variant, comes as vaccination rates in his home state slow and infection rates climb. So far, about 44 percent of Tennesseans have received at least one dose of the vaccine, according to The Post's vaccine tracker, making it among the states with the lowest rate. The state recently reported that 98 percent of people who died of Covid and 97 percent of Covid hospitalizations are among the unvaccinated.
continued...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/evangelical-pastor-demands-churchgoers-ditch-101435205.html

Evo said:
This is a reason a large portion of the states in areas where the Covid Delta cases are rising fastest, these states are highly Evangelical.
I don't think that's cause and effect. South Dakota and Indiana are also strongly Evangelical, and yet their cases aren't rising fastest. The three states rising fastest are Florida, Arkansas and Missouri, ranked 16, 4 and 11 in terms of fraction of population self-identifying as evangelical.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes benorin, ChemAir, jim mcnamara and 2 others
Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think that's cause and effect. South Dakota and Indiana are also strongle Evangelical, and yet their cases aren't rising fastest. The three states rising fastest are Florida, Arkansas and Missouri, ranked 16, 4 and 11 in terms of fraction of population self-identifying as evangelical.
As of last week Evangelical states - add these. Of course there are other factions like the anti-vax groups spreading fear and misinformation, but I had come across this article and it reminded me of living in Texas. Living 3 miles from the Missouri border doesn't help.

Nebraska with a 156 percent hike
Texas is second with 21,884 new cases this past week, about 9,000 more than the previous week.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/here-are-the-states-where-covid-19-is-increasing-2

Someone in a truck flying a huge confederate flag picked up the kids living across the street. It's a different world here. I have to keep my mouth shut. I already had to repair a hole from a bullet in the outside wall just a couple of feet above the bay window where I sit on my computer. I was sitting here when it happened, it was the 12 year old boy across the street with his daddy's gun.

• Wow
  • Sad
Likes benorin, pinball1970, phinds and 2 others
Also not far from me and a place my old boss used to take our team for 4 day weekends at the fancy resort there. Can't go there anymore due to the anti-vaxxers.

What’s Covid?’ Why People at America’s Hardest-Partying Lake Are Not About to Get Vaccinated

She said she’d heard a rumor—common among vaccine skeptics but also plainly false—that “more people are dying from getting the vaccine this week.”

“Personally,” Erin added, “I feel like my immune system is doing a good job, so why pump it full of something that we don’t really know what it is?”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-why-people-america-hardest-033021315.html

Likes benorin
To change the subject, France and Spain have overtaken the UK in daily new cases. Per capita Spain is the worst with 23,500 cases from a population of 47 million. The Netherlands, Greece and Portugal have high numbers per capita as well.

The US figures are still quite low by comparison.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and Evo
Re: "South Dakota and Indiana are also strongly Evangelical, and yet their cases aren't rising fastest."

Presumably for the earlier variant and before significant vaccines, Blacks and Hispanics were 2.5x and 3.0x more likely to die from Covid than Whites, per the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...al-ethnic-disparities/disparities-deaths.html

So I'm going to guess that racial differences swamp religious differences. My instinct is that the rural / urban difference in Covid deaths is due to the racial differences between the regions as the racial differences are so huuge. But maybe I'm wrong and the racial differences are due to cities just being more crowded. Also, I'd like to see racial data on vaccination percentage by age.

The CDC also has charts with Covid hospitalizations / death by county and by metro / non metro area. You can see that the rural areas have less vaccination but it's the urban places where Covid is growing the fastest per capita, which is a bit counterintuitive.

• Sad
Likes benorin
@CarlB
Re: "South Dakota and Indiana are also strongly Evangelical, and yet their cases aren't rising fastest."

Presumably for the earlier variant and before significant vaccines, Blacks and Hispanics were 2.5x and 3.0x more likely to die from Covid than Whites, per the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...al-ethnic-disparities/disparities-deaths.html

So I'm going to guess that racial differences swamp religious differences.
Aren't Blacks and Hispanics usually religious? But without religion, (let's drop religion, my bad) what is the percentage vaccinated would be the question.

The CDC also has charts with Covid hospitalizations / death by county and by metro / non metro area. You can see that the rural areas have less vaccination but it's the urban places where Covid is growing the fastest per capita, which is a bit counterintuitive.
Actually it makes a lot of sense. Urban areas are more crowded, have more activities where large numbers of people interact, rural areas wouldn't, so it would be expected that urban areas would have higher rates due to contacts.

Likes benorin
Wow, if minorities had bad Covid numbers before vaccination, and they've been avoiding vaccinations more due to religious reasons, then their current numbers have to be incredible.

PeroK said:
To change the subject, France and Spain have overtaken the UK in daily new cases. Per capita Spain is the worst with 23,500 cases from a population of 47 million.
Is the 23,500 the daily case number?

In Texas (pop. 29.2 million est), as of July 27, reports 6571 confirmed new COVID-19 cases, 1929 probable cases (or ~8500 confirmed and probable cases) and 37 fatalities for the day. Cumulatively, Texas reports 2,611,808 positive cases (which my include probable).

Florida apparently only reports weekly cases now, although the NY Times has some days. For example, for Florida (pop. 21.48 million est), the NYTimes reports 24017 new cases on July 20, 8988 new cases on July 21, 12647 new cases on July 22, 27514 new cases on July 23, and zero cases for July 24, 25, 26. For the week starting July 16 through July 22, Florida reports 73,199 news COVID-19 cases, or about 10,457 per day. The current week is expected to by greater. The numbers in Florida appear to be increasing, but it is difficult to understand how given the sporadic reporting.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html
http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_p..._archive/covid19-data/covid19_data_latest.pdf

The Wall Street Journal reports Florida accounts for 1 in 5 new cases in the US:
MIAMI—Florida is recording more Covid-19 cases than any other U.S. state, as hospitalizations in some areas increase at the fastest rate since the start of the pandemic.

The state accounts for one in five new infections in the U.S. and logged 73,181 cases over the past week, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Florida had 341 cases per 100,000 people over the past week, second only to Louisiana. The weekly total of new cases reported by Florida jumped more than fourfold between July 1 and July 22, reaching its highest point since mid-January.

Deaths in Florida totaled 319 over the past week, the most among states, with a rate of 1.5 per 100,000 people, the fourth-highest, according to the CDC.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/florid...9-cases-as-hospitalizations-surge-11627131600

As of July 24, HHS said 6639 people are in the hospital with COVID-19 in Florida, up from 1880 on July 3.
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...spitalizations-tripled-in-florida-in-3-weeks/
https://www.news4jax.com/news/local...g-hospitalized-for-covid-19-is-getting-worse/

Last edited:
CarlB said:
Wow, if minorities had bad Covid numbers before vaccination, and they've been avoiding vaccinations more due to religious reasons, then their current numbers have to be incredible.
I said forget religion, I should have known better. Your link is from 2020, it's outdated, I asked for data on the vaccinated numbers, before I realized that your post was meaningless due to useless data. You did not provide the information.

Please furnish/discuss only CURRENT data. Thank you.

Astronuc said:
Is the 23,500 the daily case number?
Yes.

Re: "Please furnish/discuss only CURRENT data. Thank you."

Some of the documentation for the website is from 2020 but the data is as of July 21, 2021. You can use their tool to extract various time series, for instance:
49to64.png

On the website, I ordered the data by month but this silly laptop doesn't actually take a "screenshot" when you do "screenshot" so it reorders the time confusingly to the default. Your mileage may vary.

Likes Evo