Solving a Matrix Problem with Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a matrix and its non-trivial solution when a+b+c=0. The highlighted word "NO" indicates that the only solution to the matrix is [0]. The solution to the problem involves finding the determinant of the matrix, which is shown to be equal to 0 when using trigonometric functions. Suggestions are made to use trigonometric rules and substitutions to make the equation more manageable.
mathsTKK
Hi, everyone, I am mathstkk, I am new to the Physics Forum, but I think, at my first sense, this forum is going to be helpful to me^^

Recently, I met one problem about matrix.
The problem is as follow:
Show that the matrix below has NO non-trivial solution if a+b+c=0
The matrix is
1 cos(c) cos(b)
cos(c) 1 cos(a)
cos(b) cos(a) 1

With the highlighted word 'NO', is it means that the only solution to the matrix is [0]?
If it is so, I would have to find the determinant of the matrix, right?
But still I find that the working was rather complicated with the trigonometric function as the element of the matrix.

So, can someone help me to solve this problem?
I appreciate those who offers help to me^^
Thank you very much to all of you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey mathsTKK and welcome to the forums.

In terms of a non-trivial solution I think, but I may be wrong, that the trivial solution to
a + b + c = 0 is a = 0, b = 0, c = 0 and any other solutions are the non-trivial ones.

If you put in the non-trivial solution you'll get a matrix full of 1's and since they are linearly independent you get det(A) = 0 in this case.

Thanks Chiro for that reply^^

Btw, I have tried to find its det too, but it ends up with a mess, the result was as follow:

det=1-cos^2(a)-cos^2(b)-cos^2(c)+2cos(a)cos(b)cos(c)

from a+b+c=0, do I need to substitute c=-a-b to the det equation? But I think that will end up messier,haha!

I have to prove that det=0 but no matter how I try to plug in the unknowns, it jz end up messier.

I dunoe how to continue the equation.

Can u help me? or someone else has any suggestion?

I appreciate all of you^^

Are you are aware of the trig rules like cos(a+b) cos(a-b) and so on? If you use the substitution c =-a-b you can get everything in terms of sin and cos of a and b. For things like -a you can use properties that sin(-a) = -sin(a) and cos(-a) = cos(a).

You'll get everything in terms of sin and cos in a and b and you should get something that is reducible so that you can solve it.

Oh, Okay, I will try and see and will type the solution here if I solve it.

Btw, from the equation of the det, is there a possible that the terms after the first term, i.e 1 is equals to -cos(a+b+c) which =-cos(0)=-1, then 1-1 will be equals to 0=det?

I try to expand the term cos(a+b+c), but it ends up to
cos(a)cos(b)cos(c)-sin(a)sin(b)cos(c)-sin(a)cos(b)sin(c)-cos(a)sin(b)sin(c),
how to simplify this expansion?

So complicated! haha!

1. How do I solve a matrix problem with trigonometric functions?

To solve a matrix problem with trigonometric functions, you will need to use the properties of matrices and the trigonometric functions. First, write out the matrix problem and then use the appropriate matrix operations to solve it. Next, use the trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, or tangent) to manipulate the values in the matrix and solve for the unknown variables.

2. What are the basic trigonometric functions used in solving matrix problems?

The basic trigonometric functions used in solving matrix problems are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used to manipulate the values in the matrix and solve for the unknown variables. Other trigonometric functions such as cosecant, secant, and cotangent may also be used depending on the specific problem.

3. Can I use inverse trigonometric functions in solving matrix problems?

Yes, you can use inverse trigonometric functions in solving matrix problems. Inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, are used to find the angle measure given a specific trigonometric ratio. These functions can be used to solve for the unknown variables in a matrix problem.

4. Are there any special rules for solving a matrix problem with trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are some special rules that you should keep in mind when solving a matrix problem with trigonometric functions. For example, when using trigonometric functions in a matrix problem, the angle measure should be in radians. Also, when multiplying matrices with trigonometric functions, the order of multiplication matters and may result in a different solution.

5. Is it possible to solve a matrix problem with only one trigonometric function?

No, it is not possible to solve a matrix problem with only one trigonometric function. In order to solve for the unknown variables in a matrix problem, you will need to use a combination of matrix operations and trigonometric functions. Using only one trigonometric function will not provide enough information to solve the problem.