1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crate sliding down a ramp

1. Feb 27, 2014 #1
    "A 4.00-kg crate slides down a ramp. The ramp is 1.80 m in length and inclined at an angle of 28.0° as shown in the figure. The crate starts from rest at the top, experiences a constant friction force of magnitude 4.50 N, and continues to move a short distance on the horizontal floor after it leaves the ramp.
    https://www.webassign.net/serpse8/8-figure-10-alt.gif (figure)
    (A) Use energy methods to determine the speed of the crate at the bottom of the ramp.

(B) How far does the crate slide on the horizontal floor if it continues to experience a friction force of magnitude 4.50 N?"

so i solved part A for the speed of the crate at the bottom of the ramp and got 3.54m/s.

Using the speed, i then solved part B for the distance it traveled on the floor and got 5.57m using 1/2*mv2 = ffd
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then the problem asks, what will be the final speed at the bottom of the ramp if it has an initial speed of .6m/s?

and this is where I get stuck, im not sure how to calculate that into the equation.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

Welcome to PF :wink:
    Use the template please.
    Where's the figure?

4. Feb 27, 2014 #3
    thanks, Just updated the thread with the figure hopefully it works for you.

5. Feb 27, 2014 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't check your numbers, but with an initial velocity, the crate has initial kinetic energy. So use the same energy equation, and include the initial KE when calculating the kinetic energy change.

6. Feb 28, 2014 #5
    woww that totally worked, thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted