Beliefs Gone Wrong: Win Free Cheese!

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses crazy things that the participants used to believe but now realize are wrong. These beliefs range from Santa Claus eating cookies and milk left out for him, to babies coming down a rainbow slide from the sky, to the government protecting individuals from evil. Some even believed that toilets were electric until a power outage proved otherwise. Despite the potential for others to laugh, the conversation also highlights the value of entertaining people.
Mk
What are some crazy things you've believed in your life you now think are wrong? Winner gets free cheese.

Physics news on Phys.org
That Santa Claus actually ate the cookies and milk I left on the table for him?

Never talk about crazy things you've believed in your life. :tongue2: (because others may laugh at you, but it's wrong. What's wrong with entertaining people?)

i thought babies came down a rainbow colored slide from the sky and into the hospital room until i was about 5 :tongue2:

mezarashi said:
Oh, that was for Santa? They were good cookies anyway.

I used to believe the government was protecting me from all the evil in the world.

I used to think that all the evil in the world was 'outside' of me.

o:)

that you can hand cheese to people in cyberspace

I realized during a power outage when I was 5 that toilets weren't electric. :redface:

mezarashi said:
Cookies and milk? I believed the Santa preferred rum and Coke!

I use to think up until 3 seconds ago that toilets were electric.

Evo said:
I realized during a power outage when I was 5 that toilets weren't electric. :redface:
Yeah, those internet toilets don't work without electricity.

I believed this thread would be good :(

But I believed Gravity was an angel holding you down to prevent you from going to heaven

before you die that is

What is "Beliefs Gone Wrong: Win Free Cheese!"?

"Beliefs Gone Wrong: Win Free Cheese!" is a hypothetical experiment that explores the influence of beliefs on decision making. It is not a real experiment, but rather a thought experiment used for educational purposes.

How does the experiment work?

Participants are presented with a scenario where they have the opportunity to win free cheese by choosing between two options: Option A, where they have a 50% chance of winning, and Option B, where they have a 100% chance of winning. The catch is that Option A is associated with a belief that is known to be false, while Option B is associated with a belief that is known to be true.

What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to explore how beliefs can influence decision making, even when those beliefs are known to be false. It also highlights the potential dangers of blindly following beliefs without considering the evidence or facts.

What are the expected results?

It is expected that a significant number of participants will choose Option A, despite the fact that it is associated with a false belief. This illustrates how beliefs can override rational decision making and lead to suboptimal outcomes.

What can we learn from this experiment?

This experiment highlights the importance of critical thinking and evaluating beliefs based on evidence and facts rather than blindly accepting them. It also demonstrates the potential for beliefs to influence our behavior and decision making, even when they are known to be false.