Calculating Checksum: Frame Length vs Generator Polynomial

In summary, if you want to encode a message with m bits of data, corresponding to the polynomial M(x), the frame must be longer than the generator polynomial. Without encoding the data bits, the message would consist of more bits than the generator polynomial, wasting space or bandwidth.
prashantgolu
To compute the checksum for some frame with m bits, corresponding to the polynomial M(x), the frame must be longer than the generator polynomial.
Why...?

Technology news on Phys.org
The encoded frame will be longer. If G(x) is a r+1 bit polynomial, then a polynomial modulo G(x) produces an r bit remainder. An encoded frame will consist of d + r bits, where d is the number of data bits to be encoded. The encode process appends r zeroes to the data to create a polynomial, then divides this poynomial by G(x) to produce a r bit remainder. The encoded frame then consists of d bits of data followed by the r bit remainder. Note that the number of data bits, d, can be just 1 bit.

Last edited:
I get it...but it says that M(x) should be longer than G(x)
i.e without encoding the data bits should be more than the generator polynomial...
(i think they are talking about the initial data bits and not after adding the check bits which it will obviously be longer than the generator polynomial as we are adding r bits to it in any case)

I updated my previous post to use your terminology with G(x).

prashantgolu said:
I get it...but it says that M(x) should be longer than G(x)
There's no rule that the number of data bits needs to be greater than the number of redundancy bits. You might want to check and make sure that M(x) doesn't mean an encoded message as opposed to the data portion of an encoded message.

It might waste space or bandwidth, but in some cases, such as communications from distant sattelites, where the time it takes for the message to travel between the Earth and the satellite makes it impractical to use a scheme that relies on status responses and re-transmission of data, there are more reduncancy bits than data bits for each message, perhaps 2 or 3 times as many reduncancy bits than data bits (a corrective code is used instead of crc).

For magnetic media, if the goal is to maximize effective user data density, there is a trade off between increasing bit density and increasing the redundancy required to support the increased bit density while maintaining some unrecoverable read error rate (usually 1 in 1014 for most computer peripherals). Usually some form of Reed-Solomon ecc code is used versus crc.

Last edited:
thanks a lot...it makes sense to have it that way :)

1. What is a checksum?

A checksum is a numerical value calculated from a set of data to detect errors during data transmission or storage. It is used to ensure data integrity and accuracy.

2. What is frame length in calculating a checksum?

Frame length refers to the number of bits in a data frame that are used to calculate the checksum. It is important to use the correct frame length to ensure accurate error detection.

3. What is a generator polynomial?

A generator polynomial is a mathematical function used in the calculation of a checksum. It is used to generate a unique checksum for each data frame, making it more difficult for errors to go undetected.

4. How does frame length affect the calculation of a checksum?

The frame length directly affects the size of the checksum. A longer frame length will result in a larger checksum, which can improve error detection but also requires more resources to calculate.

5. What is the importance of choosing the right generator polynomial?

The generator polynomial plays a crucial role in the accuracy of a checksum. Choosing the wrong polynomial can result in a higher chance of undetected errors. It is important to select a polynomial that is appropriate for the specific data being transmitted or stored.