Create Coolness Without Heat: Exploring Alternative Cooling Methods

In summary: However, since you mention thermoelectric devices, I'm assuming you are saying that those would be a better option regardless of efficiency?
NickPerry
ok, we have a really efficient way to make heat (adding energy into a system) all we have to do is pass a current through a high resistance wire, boom, close to %100 heat generation.

however, from what I can tell there is no way to create coolness (take energy away from a system) like that.

we have:
Phase change: (requires a lot of energy, generates a lot of heat that needs to be transferred else where)
peltier effect: (requires there to be a temperature differential to already exist)
sterling engine: (See peltier effect)

and on the fringe we have
%230 efficient LED (made in the MIT lab) which uses power + some heat to make light, but still takes power

and I think the closest we have is an Optical rectenna which takes visible and infrared wavelengths and turns it into power, however, it only works with RF waves, not particle movement.

is there a way to simply absorb particle movements and convert it straight into electricity like some ultra-small piezo generator? where it would generate power from a room simply by sucking the heat out of it & without needing a place to dump any excess heat.

Engineering news on Phys.org
of course right after I post this I find the answer I'm looking for.
apparently it sort-of exists, and it's called a phonovoltaic (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonovoltaic) which converts the lattice vibrations into energy, but apparently it only works in high energy environments, in a narrow band... but it's a good starting point.

NickPerry said:
is there a way to simply absorb particle movements and convert it straight into electricity like some ultra-small piezo generator? where it would generate power from a room simply by sucking the heat out of it & without needing a place to dump any excess heat.

Hmm... I'm not super familiar with this area, but I don't think so. This sounds sort of like Maxwell's[/PLAIN] Demon. You certainly wouldn't be able to convert all of the thermal energy into electricity, but perhaps you can convert some of it. No matter what you do you will have "excess heat" that needs to be removed or dealt with. The phonovoltaic cell runs into the problem that high energy phonons get converted into multiple low energy phonons, lowering the efficiency. In fact, the pV cell is limited to a maximum efficiency approaching the Carnot limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
NickPerry said:
ok, we have a really efficient way to make heat (adding energy into a system) all we have to do is pass a current through a high resistance wire, boom, close to %100 heat generation.

however, from what I can tell there is no way to create coolness (take energy away from a system) like that.
Well, air conditioners run about 300% efficiency, so I'd say that's better!

Likes anorlunda
wow, I should probably check this forum more often, Thank you for the answers (although they are perhaps not what I want to hear :p)

"The phonovoltaic cell runs into the problem that high energy phonons get converted into multiple low energy phonons, lowering the efficiency. In fact, the pV cell is limited to a maximum efficiency approaching the Carnot limit."

That is very unfortunate.. but doesn't Carnot's limit basically state that the effect would be limited to the temperature differential? but since we aren't using a temperature differential would that not mean that does not apply?"Well, air conditioners run about 300% efficiency, so I'd say that's better! "

HA! yeah, got to love that marketing wank :p (but I must say that I haven't heard companies advertise those kinds of figures in a while now)

NickPerry said:
That is very unfortunate.. but doesn't Carnot's limit basically state that the effect would be limited to the temperature differential? but since we aren't using a temperature differential would that not mean that does not apply?

I confess I do not know. :cry:

NickPerry said:
"Well, air conditioners run about 300% efficiency, so I'd say that's better! "

HA! yeah, got to love that marketing wank :p (but I must say that I haven't heard companies advertise those kinds of figures in a while now)
No, they advertise COP or SEER...which people often understand even less. But my point was that your opening post implied to me that cooling can't be done as efficiently as heating, which isn't true. In terms of output vs input, cooling is much better than heating.

If what you are after is just solid state cooling, regardless of efficiency, try thermoelectric (peltier) devices.

russ_watters said:
No, they advertise COP or SEER...which people often understand even less. But my point was that your opening post implied to me that cooling can't be done as efficiently as heating, which isn't true. In terms of output vs input, cooling is much better than heating.

If what you are after is just solid state cooling, regardless of efficiency, try thermoelectric (peltier) devices.
My apologies, I probably shouldn't have used the word 'efficiency' and the only reason I did is because if you have an air conditioner inside a room with no way for it to vent out, the amount of heat it outputs would be greater than the amount it can cool.

what sparked this question was the fact I was trying to think of a way to cool down components on a Venus rover where everything is fairly hot, and to try and pump out hot air of a standard air conditioner system doesn't strike me as the best way to go about it. rather it would be better if you could make a sealed compartment with something to cool the air (a peltier wouldn't really work because any heat-sink designed to whisk away the hot side would work in reverse, heating up the peltier as a whole instead. perhaps if I used a series of progressively cooler chambers..)
and that got me trying to think of other methods, hence this question.

1. How does alternative cooling work without using heat?

Alternative cooling methods use different mechanisms, such as evaporation or absorption, to remove heat from a space. These methods do not require a direct use of heat to cool the area.

2. What are some examples of alternative cooling methods?

Examples of alternative cooling methods include evaporative cooling, absorption cooling, and thermoelectric cooling. Evaporative cooling uses the process of evaporation to cool air, while absorption cooling uses a refrigerant and absorbent solution to remove heat. Thermoelectric cooling uses an electric current to create a temperature difference and cool the area.

3. Are alternative cooling methods more energy efficient?

In general, alternative cooling methods can be more energy efficient compared to traditional cooling methods that use heat. For example, evaporative cooling does not require electricity to function, and absorption cooling can use waste heat as its energy source.

4. Are there any limitations to alternative cooling methods?

Alternative cooling methods may have some limitations depending on the specific method used. For example, evaporative cooling may not be effective in humid climates, and absorption cooling may require a higher initial cost for installation. It is important to consider the specific needs and conditions of a space before choosing an alternative cooling method.

5. How can I incorporate alternative cooling methods in my home or office?

There are various ways to incorporate alternative cooling methods in a space, such as using a portable evaporative cooler or installing a solar-powered thermoelectric cooling system. It is recommended to consult with a professional to determine the best alternative cooling method for your specific needs and budget.