Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Create GUI using Visual Basic/any software and program into PIC18F2550 through USB

1. Mar 26, 2010 #1
    I am sorry because i recreate this post because the old thread is missing =(

I need to create a GUI using Visual basic to get input from user.A simple button click will be enough for the GUI.After i get the input, i need to load the input into PIC18F2550 through USB. This will then control my servo motor as i am creating an ASRS system. So anyone here can give me some advices/guidelines on how to create the GUI and how am i going to load the input from user into the PIC?
    I need to use Visual basic to do all the programming or program it separately by using Visual basic to create GUI and use software like MPLAB to load my user input into PIC?

St3

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2
    Re: Create GUI using Visual Basic/any software and program into PIC18F2550 through US

This may be a little bit complicated depending on your experience. There are a number of different things that must be done to accomplish this.

1) The PIC should probably be programmed first so that the GUI creation will be easier. You'll need to determine what type of protocol. You said you wanted USB so you'll have to pick out a PIC that supports USB. I don't know if there are any that would be usable in a PICKIT 2 or whatever you may be using. So the other option would be to use something like this from Microchip: USB-to-UART (http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?dDocName=en546923). Then all you need to do is program the UART serial from whatever PIC you use. Almost every PIC made has UART support.

2) If you end up using UART you must have a protocol, you know a set of commands that will be sent across the bus. This can be anything you want. You'll just have to be able to read it from VB.

3) Finally create the GUI. There is a serial communication control somewhere. I can't remember exactly where it's at but it would basically be serial port (I think). This you may need to do more research on.

Hope this helps at all. Email me or check out my blog for other information

--------------
    Justin Coulston
    justin.coulston@gmail.com
    TheModernEngineer.blogspot.com

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook