Calculating Capacitance for a Rolled Capacitor

• Thread starter Runaway
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a capacitor with two strips of aluminum. The initial attempt at solving the problem involved setting up the equation and finding the value of L, but upon further discussion with the teacher, it was realized that the problem was misread and the correct answer was found by considering the initial capacitance before rolling the capacitor.
Runaway

Homework Statement

2yma7iv.png

Homework Equations

C = k *[tex]\epsilon[/tex]0 * A / d

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted setting the equation up as:
C/2 (because rolling the capacitor doubles C) = k * [tex]\epsilon[/tex]0 * L * W / d
9.49 * 10-8 F/2 = 3.9 * 8.85 * 10-12C2 / (N * m2) * L * 7.43cm / .00282 mm
9.49 * 10-8 F/2 * .00282 mm = 3.9 * 8.85 * 10-12C2 / (N * m2) * L * 7.43cm
(9.49 * 10-8 F/2 * .00282 mm)/(3.9 * 8.85 * 10-12C2 / (N * m2) *7.43cm) = L
L= 0.05218 meters

It's an online assignment and it says .05218 isn't the right answer, can someone show me where I've messed up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the problem again: what should be d, the distance between the metal surfaces? Is it equal to the thickness of the metal foil or that of the paper?

ehild

Ok, I tried:
(9.49 * 10^-8 F/2 * .0246 mm)/(3.9 * 8.85 * 10^-12C^2 / (N * m^2) *7.43cm)
Instead and got 0.4552 meters, but it still says the answer is incorrect

I talked with the teacher and I was misreading the problem, it wants it to have the 9.49 E-8 F capacitance before it's rolled, not after, and the part about C being doubled when it is rolled was just put there to explain why there is a difference before and after it's rolled.
Thanks for your help ;)

Related to Calculating Capacitance for a Rolled Capacitor

1. What is a rolled capacitor?

A rolled capacitor is a type of electrical component that stores energy in an electric field between two conductive plates. It is called "rolled" because it consists of two conductive plates that are rolled together, with a dielectric material in between them.

2. How is a rolled capacitor created?

A rolled capacitor is created by first cutting two sheets of metal foil, such as aluminum or copper, into rectangular shapes. These sheets are then coated with a thin layer of dielectric material, such as paper or plastic. The two sheets are then rolled together, with the dielectric material in between them, to form a cylindrical shape. The ends of the rolled capacitor are then connected to terminals for use in an electrical circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using a rolled capacitor?

A rolled capacitor has several benefits, including its compact size, high capacitance, and low cost. It can hold a large amount of energy in a small space, making it ideal for use in electronic devices. It also has a high capacitance, meaning it can store a large amount of charge. Additionally, rolled capacitors are relatively inexpensive to produce, making them a cost-effective choice for many applications.

4. What are some common uses for rolled capacitors?

Rolled capacitors have a wide range of uses in electronic circuits, including in power supplies, audio equipment, and motor control systems. They are also commonly used in filters, timing circuits, and energy storage applications. In addition, rolled capacitors are often used in high voltage and high frequency circuits due to their compact size and high capacitance.

5. What are the limitations of rolled capacitors?

While rolled capacitors have many advantages, they also have some limitations. One limitation is their relatively low voltage rating compared to other types of capacitors. They are also sensitive to temperature changes, which can affect their performance. Additionally, rolled capacitors may have a shorter lifespan compared to other types of capacitors, especially if they are exposed to high voltage or high frequency conditions.