Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Creating Chemical and Electromagnetic Energy

1. May 20, 2006 #1
    I am supposed to make a machine that encompasses different types of energies. I just have no idea what I can do for chemical energy and electromagnetic energy using household materials, for the most part. I was thinking possibly using a match for the chemical energy. Would have a solar powered object be electromagnetic because it uses sunlight (perhaps UV rays)?

Do you guys have any better ideas?

Thanks
    Colby

P.S. I know that I cannot produce nuclear energy, but is there any process that would be easy to simulate using everyday objects?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Strictly speaking, there are only as many different energies as there are forces. So there is gravitational energy, electro-magnetic energy and nuclear energy. Chemical energy is electro-magnetic as it derives from the electrical interactions of atoms.
    Mechanical energy can be the result of gravitational energy, chemical energy and/or nuclear energy.

Gravitational/mechanical energy should be easy to show with weights and springs; Electrical with a battery and motor (the battery being chemically generated electro-magnetic energy); for nuclear you could use solar energy (which is electro-magnetic but has its source in the nuclear fusion in the sun).

AM

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook