1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating Chemical and Electromagnetic Energy

1. May 20, 2006 #1
    I am supposed to make a machine that encompasses different types of energies. I just have no idea what I can do for chemical energy and electromagnetic energy using household materials, for the most part. I was thinking possibly using a match for the chemical energy. Would have a solar powered object be electromagnetic because it uses sunlight (perhaps UV rays)?

Do you guys have any better ideas?

P.S. I know that I cannot produce nuclear energy, but is there any process that would be easy to simulate using everyday objects?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Strictly speaking, there are only as many different energies as there are forces. So there is gravitational energy, electro-magnetic energy and nuclear energy. Chemical energy is electro-magnetic as it derives from the electrical interactions of atoms.
    Mechanical energy can be the result of gravitational energy, chemical energy and/or nuclear energy.

Gravitational/mechanical energy should be easy to show with weights and springs; Electrical with a battery and motor (the battery being chemically generated electro-magnetic energy); for nuclear you could use solar energy (which is electro-magnetic but has its source in the nuclear fusion in the sun).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?