Cross a River: Time Needed for 1.5km Distance at 6.6km/h Speed

• Thread starter megamax48
  • Start date
  • Tags
    River
In summary, the problem involves a hunter trying to cross a 1.5 km wide river with a flow speed of 6.6 km/h using a powerboat that has a maximum speed of 14 km/h with respect to the water. The goal is to find the time it takes for the boat to cross the river directly. To solve this, the net velocity acting on the boat must be calculated by finding the angle between the boat's speed vector and the river's speed, using the distance formula to determine the distance needed to travel, and then using the calculated distance and net velocity to find the time. Conversion of units must also be taken into account.
megamax48

Homework Statement

A hunter wishes to cross a river that is 1.5 km
wide and that flows with a speed of 6.6 km/h.
The hunter uses a small powerboat that moves
at a maximum speed of 14 km/h with respect
to the water.
What is the time necessary for crossing if
the boat goes directly across the river? An-
swer in units of min.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to PF megamax48 :smile:

you need to find the net velocity acting on the boat, calculate the angle with respect to the boat speed vector [theta=tan[SUP]-1[/SUP] vy/vx=tan-1 vriver/vboat], get the distance using the angle and the river’s width, finally calculate the time using the calculated distance and the net velocity. you better draw this so you can understand it well

ps. don't forget to convert the units

Last edited:

I would first gather all the necessary information and data in order to solve this problem. I would start by converting all the speeds to a common unit, such as meters per second. 6.6 km/h is equivalent to 1.83 m/s and 14 km/h is equivalent to 3.89 m/s.

Next, I would use the equation d = vt to calculate the distance the boat needs to travel across the river. In this case, the distance (d) is 1.5 km or 1500 meters and the velocity (v) is 3.89 m/s. Solving for time (t), we get t = d/v = 1500/3.89 = 385.8 seconds.

Since the answer is required in minutes, we can convert seconds to minutes by dividing by 60. So the time necessary for crossing the river is approximately 6.4 minutes.

It's important to note that this is a simplified calculation and does not take into account factors such as the direction and speed of the current, as well as any other potential obstacles in the river. I would also consider these factors and conduct further analysis to provide a more accurate and comprehensive answer.

1. How long does it take to cross a river if the distance is 1.5km and the speed is 6.6km/h?

It would take approximately 13.64 minutes to cross a river with a distance of 1.5km at a speed of 6.6km/h.

2. Is the time needed to cross a river affected by the speed of the current?

Yes, the time needed to cross a river is affected by the speed of the current. If the current is against you, it will take longer to cross the river compared to if the current is with you.

3. What is the formula for calculating the time needed to cross a river?

The formula for calculating the time needed to cross a river is: time = distance / speed.

4. Can I use this formula for any distance and speed?

Yes, this formula can be used for any distance and speed. However, it is important to make sure that the units for distance and speed are consistent (e.g. both in kilometers or both in miles).

5. Will this calculation be accurate for all types of rivers?

This calculation is based on the assumption that the river has a relatively uniform width and depth. However, it may not be accurate for rivers with strong currents, varying depths, or obstacles in the water.