How to Perform a Cross Product on Polar Coordinates?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of performing a cross product on polar coordinates. The person asking the question is specifically looking for a general way to perform the operation without having to convert back and forth between coordinate systems. The expert explains that the cross product can be performed the same way as in rectangular coordinates, using unit vectors such as ihat and jhat or rhat and thetahat. The confusion arises from the fact that the cross product is an operation in the tangent space, not in the coordinate space. The expert clarifies that at a particular point, the field has components in the r-hat, phi-hat, and theta-hat directions, which can be used to perform the cross product without any modification.
tekness
I would like to know how to perform a cross product on polar coordinates.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
tekness said:
I would like to know how to perform a cross product on polar coordinates.

Thank You

Hi tekness! :smile:

Can you give us an example of two vectors you're trying to cross-product?

tiny-tim said:

Can you give us an example of two vectors you're trying to cross-product?

Hi tim,

I am just looking for a general way to perform the operation. I will perform a cross product between E and H fields that are in polar coordinates. I don't want to go through the hassle of converting back and forth :).

I hope this explains it, if not please let me know what else I can add.

tekness said:
I am just looking for a general way to perform the operation. I will perform a cross product between E and H fields that are in polar coordinates. I don't want to go through the hassle of converting back and forth :).

Well, so long as the vectors are expressed in terms of perpendicular unit vectors such as ihat and jhat or rhat and thetahat, you just cross-product them the usual way.

The only problem might be converting into unit vectors. :smile:

so for example.
I have |i j k|
|rcos() rsin() Z1|
|r2cos()2 r2sin()2 Z2|

the 2 is for a different value/angle.
So just perform the same cross product operation as rectangular coordinates would require?

tekness said:
so for example.
I have
Code:
|i                 j               k|
|rcos()         rsin()            Z1|
|r2cos()2     r2sin()2            Z2|

the 2 is for a different value/angle.
So just perform the same cross product operation as rectangular coordinates would require?

(have a theta: θ :smile:)

I'm a little confused … those look like vectors from the origin. :confused:

You will generally want to cross-product the fields at a general point.

I will try to verify exactly what I need and respond back. Looks like I need to rethink my question.
Thank you for your help! I will be back asap.

The confusion is that the cross product is an operation in the tangent space, not in the coordinate space. At a particular point, your field has components in the r-hat, phi-hat, and theta-hat directions. These three vectors constitute an orthonormal basis. So you simply take the cross product without any modification at all. For example,

[tex]\hat r \times \hat \theta = \hat \phi[/tex]

and the rest are similar.

Related to How to Perform a Cross Product on Polar Coordinates?

1. What is the definition of a cross product in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the cross product is a mathematical operation that results in a vector perpendicular to the two vectors being multiplied. It is commonly used in 3-dimensional space and can be calculated using the determinant of a 3x3 matrix.

2. How is the cross product calculated in polar coordinates?

The cross product in polar coordinates can be calculated by multiplying the magnitudes of the two vectors being multiplied, multiplying the sine of the angle between them, and calculating the direction using the right-hand rule. This can also be represented using the cross product formula: A x B = |A||B|sin(theta)n, where theta is the angle between the two vectors and n is the unit vector in the direction of the cross product.

3. What is the purpose of using polar coordinates in a cross product?

Polar coordinates are useful for representing vectors that have both magnitude and direction. In a cross product, polar coordinates can help determine the direction of the resulting vector, as well as the angle between the two vectors being multiplied.

4. What are some applications of cross product in polar coordinates?

Cross products in polar coordinates are commonly used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to calculate torque, angular momentum, and magnetic fields, among other things. In computer graphics, they are used to determine the orientation of objects in 3-dimensional space.

5. Are there any limitations to using polar coordinates in a cross product?

One limitation of using polar coordinates in a cross product is that it is only applicable in 3-dimensional space. Additionally, the cross product can only be calculated between two vectors, so it cannot be used to multiply more than two vectors at a time. Lastly, the direction of the resulting vector can only be determined up to a sign, so it is not possible to determine the exact direction using polar coordinates alone.