1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cross product question.

1. Jun 9, 2006 #1
    heres the problem.

im supposed to use geometric definition to find. (i+J)cross(i-j)

I know: v x w=IIvIIIIwIISin[theta] and that The answer comes out to be -2k

But what i dont get is looking at the solution manual they show [theta]=pi/4 which i have know clue where that comes from.

I was thinking that i could use (v)dot(w) =Cos[theta] to get[theta] but that ends up being pi/2 not pi/4 like the solution manual says.

I think the solution maunual is wrong after futher review [Theta} should equal pi/2, not Pi/4

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2006 #2
    I take it you did not preview your post. Or maybe I'm drunk and don't know it.... but what are you saying?

4. Jun 9, 2006 #3
    well i think i may have wasted an hour due to 2 things,
    1: the soution manual is wrong [theta]=pi/2
    2:the dot product equals 2 and for somereason i was taking the inverse sign instead of the inverse cosine wheni entered it so that was confusing me. I think i can chaulk this mistake up to dyslexia possibly though.

if im still wrong please correct me(ps but not on my spelling/grammer that has always sucked only slightly improves every yr).

5. Jun 9, 2006 #4
    Oh wait...

IIvII = [itex] |\vec v | [/itex]

6. Jun 9, 2006 #5
    I guess I'm confused with this:

[tex] (i+J) \times (i - j) [/tex]

is [itex] i [/itex] supposed to be [itex] \hat i [/itex], or a complex number, or what?

You also have [itex] J [/itex] and [itex] j [/itex] so that is confusing...

you're grammar seems to be fine, it the way you express the mathematical statements that I'm unsure...

7. Jun 9, 2006 #6
    i totally need this latex thing to simplify life
    no but i think this may be right
    [itex] ||\vec v || [/itex]

8. Jun 9, 2006 #7
    sorry about the confusion i should probally go and figure out that whole latex way of writting stuff out as to make it easier to read.

9. Jun 9, 2006 #8
    So here is the question re stated what is the angle between the 2 vectors v and w where:
    v=(i+j)
    w=(i-j)

10. Jun 9, 2006 #9
    How do you find the angle between two vectors in two dimensional space?

11. Jun 9, 2006 #10
    yeah i guess thats another way of saying it, but i think i figued it out.

12. Jun 9, 2006 #11
    what did you get?

In regards to this question:
    So here is the question re stated what is the angle between the 2 vectors v and w where:
    v=(i+j)
    w=(i-j)

I got pi/2... but shoot, it's been awhile. Maybe I'm doing this wrong.

13. Jun 9, 2006 #12
    i think your right its the darn solution manual and the people at Wiley publishing that have no clue what they are doing.

14. Jun 10, 2006 #13
    I hate crap like that. It makes you second guess what you are doing, even when you are doing it right.

15. Jun 10, 2006 #14

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're typing equations in ASCII, you should use the pipe symbol (|) to denote absolute values, norms, and stuff:

||v x w|| = ||v|| ||w|| |sin theta|

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?