Cross Section for e+e- in EM interaction - Is it the same?

In summary: Which is only logarithmic divergent.In summary, the cross section for the ##e^+e^- \rightarrow \mu^+ \mu^-## process is given by the equation ##\sigma = \frac{4\pi}{3} \left( \frac{\alpha \hbar c}{W} \right)^2## and it is the same for the ##e^+e^- \rightarrow \tau^+ \tau^-## process. However, for the ##e^-e^+ \rightarrow e^-e^+## process, there are additional diagrams to include which changes the answer. The cross section for the second process is not simply twice of the first, as the factor is infinite due to
unscientific
I was studying my notes and specifically for the ##e^+e^- \rightarrow \mu^+ \mu^-## process, cross section is given by
[tex]\sigma = \frac{4\pi}{3} \left( \frac{\alpha \hbar c}{W} \right)^2 [/tex]
where ##\alpha = \frac{g_{EM}^2}{4\pi}## and ##W## is the centre of mass energy.

Is this the same for ##e^+e^- \rightarrow \tau^+ \tau^-## and ##e^-e^+ \rightarrow e^-e^+## process? I know the vertex factor is the same as they have the same charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is for high energies? Otherwise phase-space is an issue.
For taus you get the same cross-section, but for electrons you have more diagrams to include which changes the answer.

Likes unscientific
mfb said:
This is for high energies? Otherwise phase-space is an issue.
For taus you get the same cross-section, but for electrons you have more diagrams to include which changes the answer.

I know that for the second process ##e^+e^- \rightarrow e^+e^-## you can either have electron-electron scattering, or annihilation-production. So is the cross section for the second process simply twice of the first?

And yeah I think it's reasonable to assume that ##W >> m_\mu c^2## so the mass of the products don't matter.

I would be surprised if it is exactly twice (you have to add amplitudes, not probabilities), but I don't know the factor. You can look it up.

Likes unscientific
mfb said:
I would be surprised if it is exactly twice (you have to add amplitudes, not probabilities), but I don't know the factor. You can look it up.

I think the relation is given by
2012_B4_Q3.png

Calculation is given in http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/feynman/feynman3.pdf

mfb said:
I would be surprised if it is exactly twice

Your intuition is right. It's not a factor of two. It's infinite. You can have arbitrarily low momentum transfer in the electron case (so the cross-section blows up) but not in the muon case.

Why is phase space an issue if it is not "high energies"? The two calculations are the same for mu and tau surely (just use m_lepton). Of course that's assuming stable final state.

Practically for electron scattering you use a small photon mass?

Well, a trivial case is an energy like ##\sqrt{s}=1\, GeV##, where tau production is not possible at all. And even above that, as long as the leptons are not highly relativistic the cross-section looks different.

RGevo said:
Practically for electron scattering you use a small photon mass?
The photon mass is zero. You need the additional approximation of small lepton masses for this simple formula.

So the formula for the cross section changes depending on if "the leptons are not highly relativistic"?

I am aware that the photon mass is zero. Is the cross section for electron (or quark scattering for that matter)? No. In qcd you define the final state in terms of ir safe observables - jets. My question was, so you do the same in qed, and I guessed this could be done by introducing a small photon mass, as is regularly done for 1-loop integrals with collinear divergences...

I don't know your background, but why don't you try to extract the cross section for this process? [itex]e^- e^+ \rightarrow \mu^- \mu^+[/itex] and see by yourself?

Missed an *infinite* there

Well, the Feynman rules don't change, the 2-body phase space doesn't change, and the incoming flux is independent of whether it is muons or taus.

So no, the formula doesn't change.

ChrisVer said:
I don't know your background, but why don't you try to extract the cross section for this process? [itex]e^- e^+ \rightarrow \mu^- \mu^+[/itex] and see by yourself?

Feynman calculations are out my syllabus, so we take a rather holistic approach towards feynman diagrams.

Well OK, I think then some people have already answered you.
The thing is that there are different amplitudes, which for the muon and tau look the same.
The electron-positron has one additional diagram, which corresponds to scattering rather than annihilation.

The differential cross section (I found it here, but I didn't look through the calculations http://www.physics.usu.edu/Wheeler/QFT/PicsII/QFT10Feb23Muon.pdf) for the electron positron to muon-antimuon is:
[itex]\frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega} =\frac{e^4}{64 \pi^2 s} \frac{\sqrt{1- \frac{4m_\mu^2}{s}}}{\sqrt{1-\frac{4m_e^2}{s}}} \Big[ 1+ \frac{4}{s} (m_e^2 +m_\mu^2) + \Big( 1- \frac{4m_e^2}{s} \Big) \Big( 1- \frac{4m_\mu^2}{s} \Big) \cos^2 \theta \Big] [/itex]

Where [itex]s = W^2[/itex] and if you want to put taus as a last product, you have to replace the [itex]m_\mu[/itex] with [itex]m_\tau[/itex].

Now if you use that [itex]m_e, m_\mu \ll W =\sqrt{s} < 90~GeV[/itex] and carry out the integration of the differential cross section you will get to the cross section you posted. But the above limit must be taken and that's why everyone said that the leptons should be relativistic .. I think they avoid to write an [itex]W=90~GeV[/itex] to avoid the creation of [itex]Z^0[/itex] resonance (where the decay via [itex]Z^0[/itex] will become important).

As for the electron positron scattering, you would have a similar term which would correspond to your annihilation diagram squared, and two additional terms: 1 for the scattering and 1 for the interference of amplitudes.
I think this is given by Bhabha cross section.

Likes unscientific
Yup, the ultrarelativistic Bhabha differential cross section is:
[itex] \frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}=\frac{e^4}{32 \pi^2 s} \Big[ \frac{1}{2} (1+\cos^2 \theta) + \frac{1+ \cos^4 (\theta/2)}{sin^4 (\theta/2)} - \frac{2 \cos^4 (\theta/2)}{\sin^2 (\theta/2)} \Big] [/itex]

If you try to integrate it (using right cuts for the angles to avoid the explosion of the cross section at the singular points) [itex] \theta_0 \le \theta \le \pi [/itex], you will get:

[itex] \sigma= \frac{4 \pi \alpha^2}{s} \Big[ \frac{1}{\sin^2(\theta_0/2)} + \log \sin^2 (\theta_0/2) + \frac{4}{3} \Big][/itex]

Likes unscientific

1. What is the definition of "Cross Section" in the context of e+e- interactions?

The cross section in e+e- interactions refers to the probability of an electron and positron colliding and producing a specific outcome, such as the creation of another particle.

2. Is the cross section for e+e- interactions the same for all energies?

No, the cross section for e+e- interactions can vary depending on the energy of the particles involved. At higher energies, the cross section tends to increase due to the increased likelihood of collisions.

3. How is the cross section for e+e- interactions calculated?

The cross section for e+e- interactions is calculated using theoretical models and experimental data. These models take into account factors such as the energy of the particles, the type of interaction, and the properties of the particles themselves.

4. Can the cross section for e+e- interactions be measured experimentally?

Yes, the cross section for e+e- interactions can be measured experimentally by colliding electrons and positrons at a specific energy and observing the resulting particles produced. By repeating these experiments at different energies, scientists can determine the cross section for a range of energies.

5. How does the cross section for e+e- interactions compare to other types of interactions?

The cross section for e+e- interactions is generally smaller than the cross section for other types of interactions, such as hadron collisions. This is due to the small size of electrons and positrons and their relatively weak interactions compared to other particles.