Crystal Structure Lattice Problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to use powder XRD data to show that a substance has a face centred cubic structure. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving the problem, with the final solution being to use selection rules and structure factor calculations to confirm the lattice type.
s_gunn
1. Homework Statement

Using the powder XRD data below, show that the substance has a face centred cubic structure. (xray lamda = 0.154056 nm)

Peak No.------2(theta)
1 -------------38.06
2 -------------44.24
3 -------------64.34
4 -------------68.77
5 -------------73.07

2. Homework Equations

[tex] 2dsin\theta = n\lambda[/tex]

[tex] d = \frac{a}{\sqrt{N}}[/tex]

[tex] \Delta sin\theta = \left(\frac{\lambda}{4a^{2}}\right)N_{2} - N_{1}[/tex]

[tex] N= h^{2}+k^{2}+l^{2} [/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out sin theta for each sin theta squared and delta sin theta:

Peak------2(theta)------sin theta----sin squared theta---delta sin squared theta
1-----------38.06-------0.32606-------0.10632------------
2-----------44.24-------0.37655-------0.14179------------0.03547
3-----------64.34-------0.53243-------0.28349------------0.1417
4-----------68.77-------0.56475-------0.31894------------0.03545
5-----------73.07-------0.59531-------0.35440------------0.03549

The only example we've covered is with a primitive cubic structure which I almost knew what I was doing(!) and the only advice that the lecturer gave was to "look for the highest common factor of values in the list delta sin squared theta to find

I obviously noted that the difference between peak 2 and 3 was the same value as Peak 2 but what I'm meant to do with that information I'm not so sure about!?

I know that a fcc structure only has N values of 3,4,8,11 etc but really could do with some advice as where to go from here!?

PS sorry that this is repeated from adv
anced physics - i felt it is more relevant here and didn't know how to move it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help at all would be appreciated! I've spent ages searching for answers and the people that I've spolen to at uni have no clue either so i'd love to be able to pass on the knowledge!

s_gunn said:
2. Homework Equations

[tex] 2dsin\theta = n\lambda[/tex]

[tex] d = \frac{a}{\sqrt{N}}[/tex]

[tex] \Delta sin\theta = \left(\frac{\lambda}{4a^{2}}\right)N_{2} - N_{1}[/tex]

[tex] N= h^{2}+k^{2}+l^{2} [/tex]

[tex] d = {{n\lambda}\over{2sin\theta}}=\frac{a}{\sqrt{N}}[/tex]

[tex] {{n^{2}\lambda^{2}}\over{4sin^{2}\theta}}=\frac{a^2}{N}[/tex]

[tex] {{n^{2}\lambda^{2}}\over{4a^{2}}}=\frac{sin^{2}\theta}{N}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{sin^{2}\theta_1}{N_1}=\frac{sin^{2}\theta_i}{N_i}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{N_i}{N_1}=\frac{sin^{2}\theta_i}{sin^{2}\theta_1}[/tex] This might be more useful?

Last edited:
You have left out the most important part of identifying the lattice type, which is the selection rules. fcc lattices have non-zero intensity where the planes have h,k,l all even or all odd. so you can use trial and error and this equation:
[tex]\sin^{2}\theta = \left(\frac{\lambda}{4a^{2}}\right)[h^{2}+k^{2}+l^{2}][/tex]
to get the h,k and l for your planes, and compare to the selection rule and... you're done!

Thanks so far! I have since been told that the values for peak 4 and 5 are wrong so to ignore them.

Therefore I got N values for the first three peaks of 3,4,8 which I know are right for a fcc cube so now I just have the second part which says I need to confirm my findings with structure factor calculations so I'll see how they go and let you know when it's solved!

thanks everyone! I'm handing in tomorrow - still not sure what structure factor calculations are - I thought that's what I'd been doing all along!

1. What is a crystal structure lattice problem?

A crystal structure lattice problem refers to the challenge of determining the arrangement of atoms or molecules within a crystal lattice. This involves analyzing the positions and connections between the particles in order to understand the structure of the crystal.

2. How is the crystal structure lattice problem solved?

The crystal structure lattice problem is solved through a combination of experimental techniques, such as X-ray diffraction, and computational methods, such as molecular dynamics simulations. These techniques allow scientists to visualize and analyze the arrangement of particles within a crystal lattice.

3. Why is understanding crystal structure important?

Understanding crystal structure is important because it provides valuable insights into the physical and chemical properties of a material. The arrangement of particles within a crystal lattice can affect properties such as strength, conductivity, and reactivity, making it crucial for various scientific and industrial applications.

4. What are some common challenges in solving crystal structure lattice problems?

Some common challenges in solving crystal structure lattice problems include dealing with imperfect or incomplete data, identifying the correct symmetry of the crystal lattice, and handling the large amount of data that needs to be analyzed. Additionally, some materials may have complex or unique crystal structures that require specialized techniques.

5. How does the crystal structure lattice problem relate to other fields of science?

The crystal structure lattice problem is relevant to various fields of science, including materials science, chemistry, and physics. It plays a crucial role in understanding the properties of materials and their behavior under different conditions, and it also has applications in fields such as drug design, mineralogy, and nanotechnology.