Cubic positive solution exists analysis

In summary: This is a good point and I think that it would make for a more readable post.In summary, the attempt at a solution for the homework equation ##\Lambda^3+\Lambda^2+A=0## is to write ##-A=\hat{A}##, then find ##\hat{A}## in (0,\infty)## and then solve for ##\Lambda##. Since ##\Lambda \in (-\infty, \infty)##, it is not guaranteed to be positive.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Question:

For ##\Lambda^3+\Lambda^2+A=0## , show that for ##A<0## there is some real positive ##\Lambda## which solves this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Attempt:

Write ##-A=\hat{A} ##, then ##\hat{A} \in (0,\infty)##
and ##\Lambda^3+\Lambda^2=\hat{A}=\Lambda^2(\Lambda+1)##

Since ##\Lambda \in (-\infty, \infty) ## then ##\Lambda^2 \in (0,\infty)##, and so since ##\hat{A} \in (0,\infty)## then ##(\Lambda-1) \in (0,\infty) \implies \Lambda \in (-1,\infty)##

So this shift by ##-1## means that ##\Lambda## is not guaranteed to be positive?

Solution attached:

assign1sol.png

I understand the solution after the 'claim' ##\Lambda \in (0,\infty)##.

However I don't understand where this comes from, this is part of what we are trying to show and we only have ##\Lambda## is real?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

Question:

For ##\Lambda^3+\Lambda^2+A=0## , show that for ##A<0## there is some real positive ##\Lambda## which solves this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

Attempt:

Write ##-A=\hat{A} ##, then ##\hat{A} \in (0,\infty)##
and ##\Lambda^3+\Lambda^2=\hat{A}=\Lambda^2(\Lambda+1)##

Since ##\Lambda \in (-\infty, \infty) ## then ##\Lambda^2 \in (0,\infty)##, and so since ##\hat{A} \in (0,\infty)## then ##(\Lambda-1) \in (0,\infty) \implies \Lambda \in (-1,\infty)##

So this shift by ##-1## means that ##\Lambda## is not guaranteed to be positive?

Solution attached:

View attachment 205800
I understand the solution after the 'claim' ##\Lambda \in (0,\infty)##.

However I don't understand where this comes from, this is part of what we are trying to show and we only have ##\Lambda## is real?
Your post would be easier to read if you followed the lead of the material you posted, and used lower-case lambda (##\lambda##) instead of upper-case lambda (##\Lambda##). At first I misread ##\Lambda## as A. In TeX, the lower-case Greek letters have spellings that start with lower-case letters; i.e., \lambda versus \Lambda, and \theta versus \Theta.

Consider ##f(\lambda) = \lambda^3 + \lambda^2 + A##, with A < 0.
##f'(\lambda) = 3\lambda^2 + 2\lambda##
On what intervals is f' positive? zero? negative? On these same intervals the original function will be increasing, horizontal, or decreasing, respectively. This should give you a good idea of where any zeroes of the graph of f are.

BTW, two of the intervals in the posted image use nonstandard notation-- ##(0, \infty]##. I've always seen these written as ##(0, \infty)## when an interval extends infinitely far in either direction.

I don't think it even requires calculus. Write it as ##f(x) = x^3+x^2 -a## where ##a>0##. Then ##f(0) = -a<0## and ##f(x) > 0## for ##x>a##.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
It doesn't requiere a lot of analysis, but you need to use intermediate value theorem (Bolzano's).

Actually, this is true for any A, since Complex roots come in pairs, i.e., if z is a root, so is its conjugate z^ , so , by parity alone, there will be a Real root no matter the value of A.

WWGD said:
Actually, this is true for any A, since Complex roots come in pairs, i.e., if z is a root, so is its conjugate z^ , so , by parity alone, there will be a Real root no matter the value of A.
Yes, but will it be positive?

LCKurtz said:
Yes, but will it be positive?
Positive... you got me for not reading carefully; top-down processing, my bad. Good point. Maybe I should just delete my post?

Nah. I wouldn't worry about it. It happens a lot to all of us.

Likes WWGD
Also, some of the algebraics proofs of fundamental theorem of algebra uses the intermediate value theorem in one step (at least the ones that I know with Galois Theory). Then there's are complex analysis proofs that also uses analysis. I think that the less analysis one is the one that only uses the fundamental group of the circle, but intermediate value theorem is more a topological theorem than an analysis one. So I think that using fundamental theorem of algebra to avoid using bolzano's theorem is like a snake bitting it's own tail.

Depending on the level of course in which the intermediate value theorem is used, it may very well be that the IVT is taken as "obvious" or an unproved given statement. A high school algebra student may "know" a "continuous" graph can't go from positive to negative without hitting the ##x## axis.

Yes, you simply justify the afirmation talking about the graphic. But I was saying that it makes sense to put analysis in the tittle, due to that theorem. Of course, it's not mandatory.

1. What does it mean for a cubic equation to have a positive solution?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. A positive solution for a cubic equation means that there exists a value for x that makes the equation equal to a positive number. In other words, when the value of x is substituted into the equation, the result will be a positive number.

2. How do you determine if a cubic equation has a positive solution?

To determine if a cubic equation has a positive solution, you can use the Rational Zero Theorem or the Descartes' Rule of Signs. The Rational Zero Theorem states that the possible rational zeros (or solutions) of a polynomial equation can be found by taking the factors of the constant term and dividing them by the factors of the leading coefficient. If any of the resulting values make the equation equal to zero, then those values are considered as potential solutions. On the other hand, Descartes' Rule of Signs states that the number of positive solutions of a polynomial equation is equal to the number of sign changes in the coefficients or less than that by an even number.

3. Can a cubic equation have more than one positive solution?

Yes, a cubic equation can have more than one positive solution. This is because a cubic equation can have up to three distinct roots (or solutions) depending on the values of its coefficients. It is also possible for a cubic equation to have one, two, or no real solutions at all.

4. How does the graph of a cubic equation with a positive solution look like?

The graph of a cubic equation with a positive solution will have at least one x-intercept (or root) that is located on the positive side of the x-axis. The shape of the graph can vary depending on the values of the coefficients, but it will always have a positive y-intercept (where the graph meets the y-axis).

5. What are the real-world applications of analyzing cubic equations with positive solutions?

Cubic equations with positive solutions have various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. For example, they can be used to model the behavior of a spring, the trajectory of a projectile, or the demand for a product. They can also be used to solve optimization problems, such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function.