Cumulative distribution problem Statistics

In summary, given a continuous random variable X with cumulative distribution function F(x), we can define a new random variable U=F(X) and find the support of U to be [0,1] as F(x) ranges from 0 to 1 and thus U must also range from 0 to 1. Additionally, the median of U is 1/2, the 25th percentile is 1/4, and the third percentile is 3/4. It is important to note the correspondence between X and U in the form of X=x0 and U=u0=F(x0). A picture may be useful in understanding this relationship.
stats_student

Homework Statement

Let X be a continuous random variable with cumulative distribution function given by F(x) = P(X<x).
Define a new random variable U=F(X).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK so to solve this problem I first say U=F(X).

F(u)=P(F(X)<u)

which means

F(u)=P(U<u)

is this how i should solve this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't stated what question is being asked of you.

Also, you will need to use more careful notation to avoid getting confused between the cdf of X and the cdf of U.
I suggest using a subscript, so that ##F_U## is the cdf of U, ie ##F_U(u)=Pr(U<u)##.

OK so to solve this problem I first say U=F(X).

F(u)=P(U<u)

which means

F(u)=P(F(X)<u)

is this how i should solve this problem?

ignore that top post mis clicked.

However the questions asks to find the supports of U and the median.

I'm a little confused how to approach but can i say that u<x?

If that's not the case can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Well, start with the support. What are the maximum and minimum possible values for F(X)? The support of U will be the interval between those.

By the way, there's a big hint in the choice of the variable name U. Can you think of a simple distribution whose name starts with the letter U?

the possible values for F(X) is negative infinity to infinity.

Uniform distribution?

Also would i be able to say that U ranges from negative infinity to infinity also?

Last edited:
stats_student said:
the possible values for F(X) is negative infinity to infinity.
F(X) is a probability. What is the range of possible values for a probability?

Uniform distribution?
What is the range of possible values for a random variable whose distribution is the standard uniform distribution? How does that compare to the range of F(X)?

oh i see, so F(X) the range would be 0 to 1.

the range of values for a random variable whose distribution is the standard uniform distribution is negative infinity to infinity.

not should what you mean when you say compare the two?

The range of possible values for a standard uniform random variable is the real interval [0,1]. If you've never come across standard uniform random variables before then it won't help you to realize that U is one, so perhaps don't worry about that side of it. Go back to your equation:
$$F_U(u)=Pr(F_X(X)<u)$$

Now since ##F_X## is a monotonic increasing function, you can invert it. What happens if you apply ##{F_X}^{-1}## to both sides of the inequality inside the parentheses?

After that you'll have one more step, which involves using the fact that ##Pr(X<x)=F_X(x)##.

Fu(u)=Pr(F(U)<x)?

No.

What is ##{F_X}^{-1}\big(F_X(X)\big)##?

X?

inverse of u equals F(u)?

ok so would it be correct to say that U=F(X)

then the support of this must be U[0,1]

and thus the median will be 1/2

and the 25th percentile would be 1/4 and the third percentile would be 3/4?

stats_student said:
ok so would it be correct to say that U=F(X)

then the support of this must be U[0,1]

and thus the median will be 1/2

and the 25th percentile would be 1/4 and the third percentile would be 3/4?

You tell us.

well because U is essentially the height of the function and F(X) can only be between 0 and 1. then it must be so that the height U must be equal to [0,1]? is that sound reasoning?

anyone?

or should i say that because F(U) ranges from 0 to 1 then u must range from 0 to 1?

stats_student said:
anyone?

Always start with a picture; it will help you straighten out your thinking. Look at the correspondence between ##X = x_0## and ##U = u_0 = F(x_0)##:

Attachments

• CDF_graph.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 184

1. What is a cumulative distribution function (CDF)?

A cumulative distribution function (CDF) is a mathematical function that shows the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a specific value. It is used to describe the distribution of a set of data and is often graphically represented as a cumulative frequency curve.

2. How is a cumulative distribution function different from a probability density function (PDF)?

A cumulative distribution function (CDF) and a probability density function (PDF) are both ways to describe the distribution of a set of data. However, a CDF shows the probability of a random variable being less than or equal to a specific value, while a PDF shows the probability density at a specific value. In other words, a CDF gives the cumulative probability, while a PDF gives the probability density at a specific point.

3. How do you calculate the cumulative distribution function?

The cumulative distribution function (CDF) can be calculated by taking the sum of the probabilities of all values less than or equal to a specific value. It can also be calculated by integrating the probability density function (PDF). For a discrete distribution, the CDF can be found by summing the probabilities of all values up to a specific value. For a continuous distribution, the CDF is found by taking the integral of the PDF.

4. What is the relationship between a cumulative distribution function and percentiles?

A percentile is a measure that indicates the value below which a given percentage of observations in a set of data falls. The cumulative distribution function (CDF) can be used to find the percentile of a specific value by finding the probability associated with that value. This probability will be the percentile of that value.

5. How is the cumulative distribution function used in statistics?

The cumulative distribution function (CDF) is used in statistics to describe the distribution of a set of data. It can be used to find probabilities, percentiles, and other important measures. It is also used to compare different data sets and determine which has a larger or smaller spread of data. Additionally, the CDF is used to test hypotheses and make inferences about a population based on a sample of data.