Mastering the Cup-and-Ball Physics Problem in First Semester Kinematics Class

• Thread starter scozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, The problem given is to solve for the initial velocity, vo, of a ball connected to a cup by a string, in order for the ball to land in the cup. This problem covers topics such as projectile motion, rotational motion, and energy. The only provided equation is ƩF=ma, and synthetic division may be involved. The solution involves finding the critical angle, which then becomes a simple projectile problem. However, there are three unknowns: vo, v2, and θc, making it challenging to solve. Some possible approaches include using energy equations or finding the critical angle using a force diagram.
scozzy
So, I'm in a first semester physics class (kinematics is the gist of what's covered), and my professors gave me a problem that, if I can solve it, will cover every major point that will be in the first exam (projectile motion, rotational motion, energy). I've been working on it for the past few days, but I keep getting stuck early on.

Homework Statement

If you're familiar with the cup-and-ball game, you have a cup... and a ball. The ball is connected to the cup by a string, and the objective is to swing the ball around to land it in the cup. I am trying to solve for the initial velocity, vo, such that it lands in the cup (origin) [look at the diagram at the bottom for clarification. vo is pointed down]. There are no hard numbers given. Of course, values can be thrown in, like R=0.5m, or m=0.02kg, but I've been trying to do it with just variables.

Homework Equations

Projectile motion
Rotational motion
Energy
The only 'equation' our professor ever gives us is ƩF=ma. We're expected to know how to derive the rest, so there's no memorization here. I can't really give you any equations like you might expect from other kinematics classes.

Side note on the equations and math bit, somebody who did this problem last semester told me synthetic division was involved somewhere. Exciting!

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I've written down so far. http://i.imgur.com/jJZ5fa0.jpg

You can see my force diagram in the middle, which I'm fairly sure is accurate. The vector resultant in the x-axis is the centripetal acceleration, which would mean T1=(mvo2)/2. Easy enough. And in the y axis, gravitational force is the only force acting upon the ball, thus (since my positive y is going down) acceleration = g. I was thinking, maybe I need more points? So I drew more force diagrams, derived the components, but nothing helped. Points I tried were at the bottom of the circular motion, and somewhere between the bottom and middle of the circular motion.

On the bottom was my attempt at finding the critical angle, which I think is the bulk of the problem here. As soon as I find the critical angle, it becomes a simple projectile problem.

I thought, since we aren't given a time, that's indicative of needing energy, right? So I laid out the equations (with GPE=0 at origin level), but now I'm stuck with three unknowns (vo, the initial velocity) (v2, the velocity at the critical angle) and (θc, the angle at which tension will become zero, AKA when the string goes slack, AKA there is no more centripetal force acting on the ball).

Lastly, here's some quick projectile equations derived from the critical point. http://i.imgur.com/KMFiYDA.jpg?1

I think something just isn't clicking? Like, I'm comfortable with projectile, rotational motion, and energy by themselves. But adding them all together is daunting. Any nudges in the right direction would be super helpful!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Normally getting the ball into the cup is done with an upwards linear motion to get the ball to move upwards, then to maneuver the cup to catch the ball near the peak of it's nearly vertical path.

rcgldr said:
Normally getting the ball into the cup is done with an upwards linear motion to get the ball to move upwards, then to maneuver the cup to catch the ball near the peak of it's nearly vertical path.

We're assuming the cup's location remains static throughout the problem. Kind of like if the ball was held out horizontally, then hit down with some force to give it an initial velocity downwards.

1. What is the cup-and-ball physics problem?

The cup-and-ball physics problem is a classic physics problem that involves a ball attached to a string and a cup. The goal is to swing the ball and catch it in the cup. The challenge lies in understanding the forces and motion involved in the swing and predicting where the ball will land.

2. What are the main factors that affect the outcome of the cup-and-ball physics problem?

The main factors that affect the outcome of the cup-and-ball physics problem are the initial position and velocity of the ball, the length and tension of the string, and any external forces acting on the ball such as air resistance or friction.

3. How can the cup-and-ball physics problem be used to teach physics?

The cup-and-ball physics problem is an excellent tool for teaching concepts such as projectile motion, conservation of energy, and Newton's laws of motion. By understanding the forces and motion involved in the problem, students can apply these principles to other real-world situations.

4. Are there any real-life applications of the cup-and-ball physics problem?

While the cup-and-ball physics problem may seem like a simple game, it has practical applications in sports such as tennis, baseball, and badminton. It also has applications in engineering, where understanding the forces and motion involved in swinging objects is important.

5. How can I improve my success rate in solving the cup-and-ball physics problem?

To improve your success rate in solving the cup-and-ball physics problem, you can experiment with different initial conditions, such as changing the length or tension of the string. You can also practice and improve your prediction skills by understanding the principles of physics involved in the problem.