Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curing of "odorless" silicone caulk

1. Jun 17, 2017 #1

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What causes the "odorless" type of silicone caulk to cure once it has been extruded from its tube, but allows it to remain uncured while it is in the tube.

My understanding is that the type of silicone caulk that smells like vinegar cures outside the tube because it is exposed to moisture - but what activates the cure of caulk that is "odorless" or "low oder" or "GE silicone II" ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Most likely it is still a moisture that is necessary for polymerization.

4. Jun 17, 2017 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

There are many water based things that can be mixed with non-odorless silicone caulk that make it cure quickly - such as acrylic paint, glycerine, soapy water. (Videos on the web show doing this to make flexible molds. I've tried these methods and they do work.) However, when those things are mixed with GE Silicone II caulk, it either doesn't cure or cures to a very weak material. This is why I'm curious about curing process for odorless silicone caulk.

5. Jun 17, 2017 #4

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know the exact process, but when in doubt, check the MSDS:
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/2d/2d9622c5-268d-4ab0-8dce-32dd186b8b72.pdf
    The main component is MPDMS, which is formed by a condensation reaction of PDMS and the trimethylsiloxane. The HMDS is probably an initiator (it tends to methylate SiOH groups). But HMDS is quite reactive with water. It's possible that humid air is enough to start breaking down the HMDS to initiate polymerization, whereas mixing water directly simply destroys all the HMDS at the outset. But again, this is just a guess.

Edit: abbreviations are as follows.
    HMDS = hexamethyldisilazane
    PDMS = polydimethylsiloxane
    MPDMS = methoxypolydimethylsiloxane
    For completeness:
    MSDS = material safety data sheet
    SiOH = silanol functional group

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted