Curing of "odorless" silicone caulk

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, the "odorless" type of silicone caulk cures outside the tube due to exposure to moisture, while remaining uncured inside the tube. It is likely that a moisture source is still necessary for polymerization to occur. The main component in odorless silicone caulk is MPDMS, which is formed by a condensation reaction of PDMS and trimethylsiloxane. The HMDS component may act as an initiator, but it is highly reactive with water and may be broken down by humid air to initiate polymerization. Mixing water directly with the caulk may destroy all the HMDS and prevent curing. Further information can be found in the material safety data sheet.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
What causes the "odorless" type of silicone caulk to cure once it has been extruded from its tube, but allows it to remain uncured while it is in the tube.

My understanding is that the type of silicone caulk that smells like vinegar cures outside the tube because it is exposed to moisture - but what activates the cure of caulk that is "odorless" or "low oder" or "GE silicone II" ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Most likely it is still a moisture that is necessary for polymerization.

There are many water based things that can be mixed with non-odorless silicone caulk that make it cure quickly - such as acrylic paint, glycerine, soapy water. (Videos on the web show doing this to make flexible molds. I've tried these methods and they do work.) However, when those things are mixed with GE Silicone II caulk, it either doesn't cure or cures to a very weak material. This is why I'm curious about curing process for odorless silicone caulk.

I don't know the exact process, but when in doubt, check the MSDS:
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/2d/2d9622c5-268d-4ab0-8dce-32dd186b8b72.pdf
The main component is MPDMS, which is formed by a condensation reaction of PDMS and the trimethylsiloxane. The HMDS is probably an initiator (it tends to methylate SiOH groups). But HMDS is quite reactive with water. It's possible that humid air is enough to start breaking down the HMDS to initiate polymerization, whereas mixing water directly simply destroys all the HMDS at the outset. But again, this is just a guess.

Edit: abbreviations are as follows.
HMDS = hexamethyldisilazane
PDMS = polydimethylsiloxane
MPDMS = methoxypolydimethylsiloxane
For completeness:
MSDS = material safety data sheet
SiOH = silanol functional group

1. How does silicone caulk become odorless?

Silicone caulk is made up of a combination of silicone polymers, solvents, and curing agents. When the caulk is exposed to air, the solvents and curing agents evaporate, leaving behind the silicone polymers. This process is called curing and it results in the caulk becoming odorless.

2. How long does it take for silicone caulk to cure and become odorless?

The time it takes for silicone caulk to cure and become odorless depends on several factors such as temperature, humidity, and the thickness of the caulk layer. On average, it can take anywhere from 24 hours to 72 hours for silicone caulk to fully cure and become odorless.

3. Can I speed up the curing process of silicone caulk?

Yes, the curing process of silicone caulk can be sped up by increasing the temperature and decreasing the humidity in the environment. This can be done by using a heat gun or a hair dryer. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not overheat the caulk as it may result in cracking or other damage.

4. Is it safe to use odorless silicone caulk?

Yes, odorless silicone caulk is safe to use. The solvents and curing agents used in the production of silicone caulk may have a strong odor, but once they have evaporated, the remaining silicone polymers are non-toxic and safe for use.

5. Can I use odorless silicone caulk in wet areas?

Yes, odorless silicone caulk is waterproof and can be used in wet areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, and outdoor spaces. However, it is important to ensure the caulk is fully cured before exposing it to water to ensure a strong and long-lasting seal.