How Does the Curl Operator Relate to Angular Momentum in Vector Calculus?

In summary: Substituting this back into the original equation, we get:\vec{r} \nabla^2 - \nabla(1 + r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}) = \vec{r} \nabla^2 + \nabla \times (\nabla \times (1 + r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}))Now, we can use the BAC-CAB rule to simplify the right-hand side:\nabla \times (\nabla \times (1 + r \frac{\partial}{\partial r})) = \nabla \times ((r \frac{\partial}{\
rado5

Homework Statement

I want to prove this: [itex] \vec{r} \nabla^2 - \nabla(1+r \frac{\partial}{\partial {r}})=i \nabla \times \vec{L} [/itex]

Homework Equations

BAC-CAB rule:

[itex] \nabla \times (\vec{A} \times \vec{B}) = (\vec{B} . \nabla) \vec{A} - (\vec{A} . \nabla ) \vec{B} - \vec{B} (\nabla . \vec{A} ) + \vec{A} (\nabla . \vec{B}) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We know that [itex] i \nabla \times \vec{L}= \nabla \times (\vec{r} \times \nabla) [/itex].

Now how can I continue with [itex] \nabla \times (\vec{r} \times\nabla) = [/itex]?

Can I use BAC-CAB rule? When I use BAC-CAB, I will have this: [itex] \nabla \times (\vec{r} \times\nabla) = \vec{r} (\nabla . \nabla) - \nabla (\nabla . \vec{r}) + (\nabla . \nabla) \vec{r}- (\vec{r} . \nabla) \nabla [/itex]

And as we know [itex] \nabla (\nabla . \vec{r}) = \vec{0} [/itex].

Now how can I continue? If my method is wrong, please tell me why!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in proving the given equation. I would like to suggest a different approach to solving this problem.

Firstly, let's rewrite the given equation in a more general form:

\vec{A} \nabla^2 - \nabla(\vec{B}) = i \nabla \times \vec{C}

where \vec{A} = \vec{r}, \vec{B} = 1 + r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}, and \vec{C} = \vec{L}.

Now, let's use the identity \nabla \times (\nabla \times \vec{A}) = \nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec{A}) - \nabla^2 \vec{A} to rewrite the left-hand side of the equation:

\vec{A} \nabla^2 - \nabla(\vec{B}) = \vec{A} \nabla^2 - \nabla(\nabla \cdot \vec{B}) + \nabla \times (\nabla \times \vec{B})

Substituting the expressions for \vec{A} and \vec{B}, we get:

\vec{r} \nabla^2 - \nabla(1 + r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}) = \vec{r} \nabla^2 - \nabla(\nabla \cdot (1 + r \frac{\partial}{\partial r})) + \nabla \times (\nabla \times (1 + r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}))

Using the product rule for differentiation, we can expand the second term:

\nabla \cdot (1 + r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}) = \nabla \cdot 1 + \nabla \cdot (r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}) = 0 + r \nabla \cdot (\frac{\partial}{\partial r})

Since \nabla \cdot (\frac{\partial}{\partial r}) = 0, we can simplify the above expression to:

\nabla \cdot (1 + r \frac{\partial}{\partial r}) = r \nabla \cdot

Related to How Does the Curl Operator Relate to Angular Momentum in Vector Calculus?

1. What is curl and how is it different from angular momentum?

Curl is a mathematical operation that measures the rotation or circulation of a vector field. It represents the infinitesimal rotation of a vector at a specific point. On the other hand, angular momentum is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity and is related to the moment of inertia and angular velocity of the object.

2. How is curl calculated?

The curl of a vector field is calculated by taking the cross product of the gradient of the field and the vector itself. Mathematically, it is represented as ∇ x F, where ∇ is the gradient operator and F is the vector field. The resulting vector represents the direction and magnitude of the rotation at a specific point in the field.

3. What is the physical significance of curl?

Curl has many physical applications, such as in fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. In fluid mechanics, it represents the vorticity or rotational motion of a fluid. In electromagnetism, it is related to the magnetic field and can be used to calculate the induced electromotive force. In quantum mechanics, it is used to describe the angular momentum of particles.

4. What is angular momentum conservation?

Angular momentum conservation is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in the absence of external torques, the total angular momentum of a system will remain unchanged. This law is applicable in many physical systems, such as planets orbiting around a star, spinning tops, and rotating objects.

5. How is angular momentum related to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is directly related to rotational motion. It is defined as the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity. This means that the faster an object rotates and the more mass it has, the greater its angular momentum will be. Additionally, the direction of the angular momentum vector is perpendicular to the plane of rotation, following the right-hand rule.