Current carrying wire and Earth’s magnetic field directions

In summary, a telephone cable with 4 current-carrying wires in the same direction of 1 ampere at a location with .39G Earth's magnetic field, 35° angle of dip, and nearly zero magnetic declination will result in a magnetic field magnitude of 2x10-5T at points 4cm below the cable. The components of the Earth's magnetic field are BHcos35° = 3.19x10-5T along the horizontal and BVsin35° = 2.24x10-5T along the vertical. The right hand rule shows that the magnetic field above the wires should be going into the plane and below should be coming out. A diagram can help visualize the direction
Qaztgbe

Homework Statement

A telephone cable at a place has 4 long straight horizontal wires carrying a current of 1 ampere in the same direction east to west. The Earth's magnetic field at the place is .39G, the angle of dip is 35°, and the magnetic declination is nearly zero. What are the resultant magnetic fields (magnitude and direction) at points 4cm below the cable?

Homework Equations

μI/2∏r

The Attempt at a Solution

Magnitude of the field due to the current carrying wires is 2x10-5T
Components of the earth’s magnetic fields –
Along the horizontal is BHcos35° = 3.19x10-5T
Along the vertical is BVsin35° = 2.24x10-5T

According to the right hand rule the magnetic field above the wires should be going into the plane and below should be coming out. I can’t ‘visualise’ the directions of the Earth's magnetic field so I can’t go any further.

I have numerous questions like this one but I can never see the direction of the earth’s field when it has different angles of dip.

Attachments

• 2.bmp
    186.4 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This diagram may help you.

Attachments

• ddiag.doc
    33 KB · Views: 277
Definitely helped. If only I could 'see' it for myself everytime I get one of these questions. Thanks.

Related to Current carrying wire and Earth’s magnetic field directions

1. How does a current carrying wire interact with Earth's magnetic field?

When a current carrying wire is placed in Earth's magnetic field, the two fields interact with each other. This interaction creates a force on the wire, causing it to move in a direction perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

2. What is the direction of the force on a current carrying wire in Earth's magnetic field?

The direction of the force on a current carrying wire in Earth's magnetic field is dependent on the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. The force will always act in a direction perpendicular to both the current and the magnetic field.

3. How can the direction of the force on a current carrying wire in Earth's magnetic field be determined?

The direction of the force on a current carrying wire in Earth's magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, your palm will face the direction of the force.

4. What is the relationship between the strength of the current and the force on a current carrying wire in Earth's magnetic field?

The force on a current carrying wire in Earth's magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the current. This means that as the current increases, the force on the wire will also increase.

5. How does the direction of Earth's magnetic field affect the force on a current carrying wire?

The direction of Earth's magnetic field determines the direction of the force on a current carrying wire. If the magnetic field is parallel to the wire, there will be no force. If the magnetic field is perpendicular to the wire, the force will be at a maximum.