1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current density

1. May 13, 2014 #1
    2881_zps6cec47b2.png
    that is my solution:
    I=J.A=J.∏r^2
    Since r =a => J=0 => I=0 ≠ Io
    I think this is wrong but i cant answer why this solution was wrong. Help me Please

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You need to write and solve the integral equation in order to show that the total current = Io...

4. May 13, 2014 #3
    I read solution, and they also used the integral equation. I do other exercise, i only took I=J.A, and i had a right result. But in this problem, i did not know use the integral equation, why i need to use that?

5. May 13, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Because the current density varies with radius. When something varies like that, to calculate the total accurately, you need to use integration. Does that make sense?

6. May 13, 2014 #5

tms

You need to use the integral because that is what you need to do to solve the problem. You are given the current density as a function of radius, and need to find the total current. When you have a problem like that, you integrate. That's what integration is, a kind of sum, and you here have to sum up a bunch of little bits of current into the total current.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted