Circuit Current: How to Calculate IA, IB, IC, ID

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the current in a circuit at various points and how a circuit draws current based on voltage specifications and drops. It is suggested to model the circuit with ideal components to accurately calculate the current.
sandeep agari
hello,
while making a circuit ( uploaded pic) ,the specifications of leds are 50mA/2V, i found the current ( ID )just before the leds to be around 180mA. i just want to know how to determine the currents in the circuit at various points( IA, IB , IC, ID). in general i want to know how to determine how a circuit draws current . do we have to take care of only voltage speciafications, voltage drops only and it will draw current automatically? just confused with the current calculations in this circuit. i hope if this will be cleared then it will help a lot in all others:) must respond.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 432
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 406
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The circuit powered from a voltage source will draw a current automatically (up to the limits of the equipment)... potential difference and current are related.
Typically you would model the real-life circuit as a circuit of ideal components - for this you need to know the equivalent impedences of the real components and how to model them as ideal components. How far you take it depends on how much detail you need.

1. What is circuit current?

Circuit current refers to the flow of electric charge through a closed electrical circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is essential for the functioning of any electrical device or system.

2. How do I calculate circuit current?

To calculate circuit current, you need to know the voltage (V) and the resistance (R) of the circuit. You can use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage divided by resistance (I = V/R). Alternatively, you can use the power equation (P = IV) and solve for current by dividing power by voltage.

3. What are IA, IB, IC, and ID in circuit current calculations?

In circuit current calculations, IA, IB, IC, and ID refer to the current values in different branches of a parallel circuit. IA is the total current in the circuit, while IB, IC, and ID are the currents in each individual branch. These values can be calculated using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL), which states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node.

4. Can circuit current be negative?

Yes, circuit current can be negative. This occurs when the direction of current flow is opposite to the conventional current direction. In other words, if the current is flowing from the negative to the positive terminal of a battery, it will be considered negative. This is commonly seen in circuits with diodes or transistors.

5. How does circuit current affect the overall performance of a circuit?

Circuit current is a crucial factor in determining the performance of a circuit. It affects the power consumption, voltage drop, and heat dissipation in the circuit. Excessive current can cause components to overheat and fail, while insufficient current can lead to underperformance. Therefore, it is important to calculate and monitor the circuit current to ensure proper functioning of the circuit.