Current in wire loop inside a solenoid

In summary, the conversation involves finding the magnetic field inside a larger solenoid with given dimensions and current increasing at a rate of 1.0 kA/s. The approach is to use Faraday's law and relate the current to the B-field produced. The only difference when considering a larger loop is the area of the loop. The conversation ends with encouragement to continue working on the problem and offering further assistance if needed.
gills

Homework Statement

A 2.1m -long solenoid is 13.0cm in diameter and consists of 2200 turns of wire. The current in the solenoid is increasing at the rate of 1.0 kA/s .

The Attempt at a Solution

Any help to point me in the right direction would be great.

I'm thinking that i need to find the magnetic field inside that of a larger solenoid. Then i somehow manage to put that into faradays law equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump^^

That is exactly what you have to do. Good thinking.

HINT: How can you relate the current in the solenoid to the B-Field produced?

G01 said:
That is exactly what you have to do. Good thinking.

HINT: How can you relate the current in the solenoid to the B-Field produced?

how do i treat the current since it is given per unit time? That is throwing me off.

B(solenoid) = [tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{0}[/tex]*n*I ---> ??

ok this is what I've got

dB/dt = [tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{0}[/tex]*n*[tex]\frac{dI}{dt}[/tex]

gills said:
ok this is what I've got

dB/dt = [tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{0}[/tex]*n*[tex]\frac{dI}{dt}[/tex]

ok, got the first part.

What about when there's a loop that is larger than the solenoid? Would the current in that loop be zero since the magnetic field outside of solenoid is almost neglible?

The diameter of the larger loop is 19.5cm

gills said:
ok, got the first part.

What about when there's a loop that is larger than the solenoid? Would the current in that loop be zero since the magnetic field outside of solenoid is almost neglible?

The diameter of the larger loop is 19.5cm

ok, nevermind on that one. Would i just be changing the area of the loop from the equation i derived in the first problem or is there more to it?

gills said:
ok, nevermind on that one. Would i just be changing the area of the loop from the equation i derived in the first problem or is there more to it?

Yes, the only difference when the loop is bigger than the solenoid is the area of the loop. (The magnetic flux still goes through the loop if it's bigger than the solenoid.)

Keep working at it, you seem to be making some nice progress on this problem. Keep it up!:approve: If you have any more questions I'll answer them as soon as I can.

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire that is typically used in electronic devices to generate a magnetic field.

2. How does a current pass through a wire loop inside a solenoid?

When a current is passed through the wire loop inside a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field which then induces a current in the wire loop. This current then creates its own magnetic field, causing the wire loop to experience a force and move.

3. What is the purpose of having a wire loop inside a solenoid?

The wire loop inside a solenoid is used to increase the strength of the magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field created by the current in the wire loop adds to the magnetic field generated by the solenoid, resulting in a stronger overall magnetic field.

4. How is the strength of the magnetic field in the wire loop inside a solenoid determined?

The strength of the magnetic field in the wire loop inside a solenoid depends on a few factors, including the number of turns in the wire loop, the current flowing through the wire loop, and the material of the wire. The more turns in the wire loop and the greater the current, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

5. What are some practical applications of a wire loop inside a solenoid?

A wire loop inside a solenoid has many practical applications, including in electromagnets, speakers, and electric motors. It is also used in devices such as doorbells, MRI machines, and particle accelerators.