Current status of gravitational collapse (full quantum mechanical treatment).

In summary: According to the summary, formation of a black hole is questioned in classical and quantum mechanical treatments. It is unknown whether black holes exist in either theory.
arroy_0205
We know about formation of (stellar mass) black hole under gravitational collapse in classical theory. But what is the result according to full quantum mechanical treatment? Can anybody tell? I have found one paper according to which, formation of trapping horizon can be questioned in semiclassical treatment (see arXiv:0712.1130). very recently I found another paper where even in classical theory formation of black hole has been questioned under certain conditions (see arXiv:0801.0294). I have not read the details, but I admit this type of issues depress me because if black holes do not exist, some really interesting problems in theoretical physics will go away.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since Matt Visser is a co-author, I have had a bit of a look at

http://arxiv.org/abs/0712.1130

The first thing that came to mind was that no journal reference is give. the second thing was: Is this related to

http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0609024 (Accepted for publication in Phys. Rev. D.)

Both the above papers are high speculative.

In 0712.1130, presently unknown high-energy physics slows down collapse until Hawking radiation takes over, while in gr-qc/0609024, Hawking radiation alone prevents the formation of black holes.

0712.1130 is interesting, but, because of its reliance on unknown high-energy physics, I wonder how seriously it will be taken.

gr-qc/0609024 is discussed a little in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1534827#post1534827".

Why did gr-qc/0609024 make a big media splash, e.g.,

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=5715

and 0712.1130 didn't?

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously, from the thread he just referenced, I'm biased toward the idea of a black hold evaporating before it ever forms. I'm no physicist, so I shouldn't really have any say in the matter. It seems to make a lot of sense to me conceptually, though. If a black hole evaporates in finite time from an external viewpoint, and yet takes infinite time to collapse from an external viewpoint, I can't think of any reason this causality should be reversed from the viewpoint of an observer falling into the black hole. Either way, the evaporation takes place at the event horizon, and either way, the observer is outside the event horizon. But then again, I'm clueless. Really.

Forgot to mention that, yes, it is quite strange that one would get so much media attention, and the other wouldn't.

1. What is gravitational collapse?

Gravitational collapse refers to the process by which a massive object, such as a star, collapses under its own gravitational force, leading to a highly dense and compact object, such as a black hole.

2. How is the current status of gravitational collapse being studied?

The current status of gravitational collapse is being studied using a full quantum mechanical treatment, which takes into account the principles of quantum mechanics to better understand the behavior of matter under extreme gravitational forces.

3. What are some key findings from the full quantum mechanical treatment of gravitational collapse?

Some key findings from the full quantum mechanical treatment of gravitational collapse include the existence of a critical mass threshold for black hole formation, the possibility of quantum effects preventing complete collapse, and the potential for information to be preserved in black hole evaporation.

4. How does the full quantum mechanical treatment differ from previous approaches to studying gravitational collapse?

The full quantum mechanical treatment differs from previous approaches by considering the behavior of matter at a microscopic level, rather than just at a macroscopic level. This allows for a more accurate understanding of the complex dynamics involved in gravitational collapse.

5. What are the implications of the current understanding of gravitational collapse?

The current understanding of gravitational collapse has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws. It also has practical applications, such as in the study of black holes and their potential for energy extraction, as well as in the development of a theory of quantum gravity.