Sketching the Curve: An Analysis of (x^2-3x+4)/(x^2+2x-1)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding first and second derivatives, asymptotes, symmetry, and max/min to sketch a curve for a calculus project. The chosen equation is (x^2-3x+4)/(x^2+2x-1) and there is discussion about the number of max/min points and the presence of an asymptote at y=1. The conversation also touches on the possibility of a point of inflection and finding local maximum.
dorkee

Homework Statement

This is for my calculus project and we have to pick an equation and go through the process of finding first and second derivatives, asymptotes, symmetry, and max/min to sketch the curve.

Homework Equations

I chose (x^2-3x+4)/(x^2+2x-1) as my equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the first derivative and solved it for find the max or min. I got 1+square root of 2 and 1-square root of 2, but shouldn't there be only one max or min (based on the graph - I used my graphing calculator and this http://my.hrw.com/math06_07/nsmedia/tools/Graph_Calculator/graphCalc.html to check)?

And then the second problem is.. when I calculated to find the asymptote, my horizontal asymptote is y=1. If I look at the graph, There is certainly an asymptote at y=1 when X<0 but not when it's x>0. How does that happen? I'm so stuck right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
dorkee said:

Homework Statement

This is for my calculus project and we have to pick an equation and go through the process of finding first and second derivatives, asymptotes, symmetry, and max/min to sketch the curve.

Homework Equations

I found the first derivative and solved it for find the max or min. I got 1+square root of 2 and 1-square root of 2, but shouldn't there be only one max or min (based on the graph - I used my graphing calculator and this http://my.hrw.com/math06_07/nsmedia/tools/Graph_Calculator/graphCalc.html to check)?

And then the second problem is.. when I calculated to find the asymptote, my horizontal asymptote is y=1. If I look at the graph, There is certainly an asymptote at y=1 when X<0 but not when it's x>0. How does that happen? I'm so stuck right now.

The horizontal asymptote is for x < 0 and x >0. You're not looking far enough to the right with your calculator.

Your work at finding the derivative is correct, and there are two points at which the derivative is 0. You might need to change the size of the window you're using to view the graph so that you can see more of it.

dorkee said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Check your graph again with a larger range for x. y drops below 1 for x= 1 but then rises again toward y= 1 as asymptote for x positive.

Hmm okay because I know when x=1, y=1, so does that mean I have to note that the asymptote y=1 is for when X<0 and X>0?

Thanks for helping!

A horizontal asymptote is relevant to behavior in the limit, as x gets large or as x gets very negative. It's not relevant to small values of x, such as 1.

For your function, the dominant terms in the numerator and denominator are x^2, which means that the graph of the function approaches y = 1 as x gets large and as x gets very negative.

Sorry for bumping this thread but I have another question.
Is there a point of inflection? I got my second derivative and set it equal to 0 and I got this x^3-3x^2-3x-3=0.
How do you factor it to prove that there is or isn't a point of inflection.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there's not an inflection point for your function. There are a couple of points where the concavity changes sign, but these occur at the vertical asymptotes, so these values of x aren't in the domain of this function.

You didn't show the work you did to get the equation x^3 -3x^2 -3x -3 = 0, and I suspect you made a mistake in it. This equation has a root around 4.95 or so, but there's nothing going on in the graph of your function that would suggest that concavity changes from negative to positive there.

For question 2 (BTW you should write the interval as [-1, 0], not the other way around), assuming your equation is correct, you're not likely to find any solutions by factoring it. (On the other hand, your equation might not be correct.) I'm assuming you're trying to find the local maximum, which is around -0.5. To get this you'll most likely need to use some sort of approximating method rather than an algebraic method that would give an exact result.

Haha yeah. I realized I put it the other way.. that's why I couldn't factor it, which is why I deleted it from my post ^^ Silly me.

Hmm okay I will go check my work on my second derivative. Thank you so far!

1. What is the purpose of sketching the curve of (x^2-3x+4)/(x^2+2x-1)?

The purpose of sketching the curve is to visually represent the behavior of the given function (x^2-3x+4)/(x^2+2x-1) and to analyze its properties.

2. How do you determine the domain and range of the function?

The domain of the function is all the possible values of x that can be plugged into the function without creating undefined values. To determine the domain, we need to look for any restrictions on the values of x, such as division by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. The range of the function is all the possible output values of the function. To determine the range, we can use the graph of the function or algebraic methods.

3. What information can be obtained from the x and y intercepts of the curve?

The x-intercepts of the curve are the points where the function crosses the x-axis, meaning the y-value is equal to zero. This can help us determine the roots or solutions of the function. The y-intercept is the point where the function crosses the y-axis, and it represents the value of the function when x is equal to zero.

4. How do you identify the critical points of the curve?

The critical points of the curve are the points where the slope of the curve is equal to zero or undefined. These points can be found by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. The x-values of these points are also known as the stationary points of the function, and they can help us determine the maximum and minimum values of the function.

5. What are the steps to sketching the curve of (x^2-3x+4)/(x^2+2x-1)?

The steps to sketching the curve are as follows:

1. Determine the domain and range of the function.
  2. Find the x and y intercepts.
  3. Identify the critical points by taking the derivative of the function.
  4. Determine the concavity of the curve by finding the second derivative of the function.
  5. Plot the points on a graph and connect them to create the curve.
  6. Analyze the behavior of the function at the critical points and the concavity of the curve to determine the maximum and minimum values.