What Does d/dt g(t) and d/dt D_X Y Mean in Riemannian Manifold Calculations?

• Thread starter Sajet
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding a calculation involving a smooth family of metrics and the Levi-Civita connection on a Riemannian manifold. The conversation also explores the difference between two terms in the calculation and provides clarification on the derivative of a product of functions.
Sajet
Hi!

I'm reading this script* and I fail to understand a rather simple calculation. I assume the problem lies in me not understanding the notation that is used, and I was unable to figure it out or find it in literature.

We have a smooth family of metrics [itex]g = g_t[/itex] on a Riemannian manifold, and we set [itex]h := \frac{\partial}{\partial t}g_t[/itex].

First question:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \nabla_X Y[/itex]: Does this mean [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \nabla_X^t Y[/itex], where [itex]\nabla^t[/itex] is the Levi-Civita connection w.r.t [itex]g_t[/itex]?

Second question:

The script says:

[itex]\langle \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \nabla_X Y, Z\rangle = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}g(\nabla_X Y, Z\rangle - h(\nabla_X Y, Z)[/itex]

I don't understand this step. Also I don't see the difference between the two terms

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}g(\nabla_X Y, Z\rangle[/itex] and

[itex]h(\nabla_X Y, Z)[/itex]

In class we defined

[itex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial t}(X, Y) := \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(g_t(X, Y))[/itex].

Therefore those two terms seem the same to me.

I would appreciate any help :)

* http://homepages.warwick.ac.uk/~maseq/RFnotes.html , p. 32.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sajet said:
Does this mean [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t} \nabla_X^t Y[/itex], where [itex]\nabla^t[/itex] is the Levi-Civita connection w.r.t [itex]g_t[/itex]?
That's what I would guess too. (I don't see what else it could mean).

Sajet said:
[itex]\langle \frac{\partial}{\partial t} \nabla_X Y, Z\rangle = \frac{\partial}{\partial t}g(\nabla_X Y, Z\rangle - h(\nabla_X Y, Z)[/itex]

I don't understand this step.
I haven't done this sort of thing in a while, but I think that the first term on the right is equal to a sum of three terms (as if we're taking the derivative of a product of three functions), with the d/dt acting on a different "factor" in each term. The term with d/dt acting on the Z is zero.

Sajet said:
Also I don't see the difference between the two terms

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}g(\nabla_X Y, Z\rangle[/itex] and

[itex]h(\nabla_X Y, Z)[/itex]
I interpret the first one as $$\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(g(\nabla_X Y, Z)\right)$$ and the second one as
$$\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}g\right)(\nabla_X Y, Z).$$

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= Thank you!

Fredrik said:
I interpret the first one as $$\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(g(\nabla_X Y, Z)\right)$$ and the second one as
$$\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial t}g\right)(\nabla_X Y, Z).$$

So what exactly is the difference between them?

I would interpret:

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(g(\nabla_X Y, Z)\right)$$

as $$\frac{\partial}{\partial t} (t \mapsto \left(g_t(\nabla_X Y, Z)\right))$$

But then, how is the other one different? As I said, we defined:

[itex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial t}(X, Y) := \frac{\partial}{\partial t}(g_t(X, Y))[/itex]

Which would lead me to the same equation as the first one?

##\left(\frac{d}{d t}g\right)(\nabla_X Y, Z)## is just one of the three terms you get when you compute ##\frac{d}{d t}\left(g(\nabla_X Y, Z)\right)##.

I don't understand your definition. Are you sure the left-hand side isn't supposed to be ##\frac{d}{dt}g(X,Y)##? That would make sense if it's not really a definition, and your teacher was just trying to explain that the notation ##\frac{d}{dt}g(X,Y)## is to be interpreted as ##\frac{d}{dt}\left(g(X,Y)\right)## and not as ##\left(\frac{d}{dt}g\right)(X,Y)##.

Mhh, the definition is definitely the same in my notes. It was supposed to define what exactly is meant when writing ##\frac{\partial g}{\partial t}## in the Ricci Flow-equation.

Would you mind telling me what those three terms are when I compute ##\frac{d}{d t}\left(g(\nabla_X Y, Z)\right)##? Maybe my problem is that I don't understand how this derivative is calculated.

For all vector fields X,Y, we have
$$g(X,Y)=g(X,Y)=g(X^\mu\partial_\mu,Y^\nu\partial_\nu) =g_{\mu\nu}X^\mu Y^\nu,$$ where the ##\partial_\mu## are the tangent vector fields associated with an arbitrary coordinate system. The right-hand side is just a product of three functions, so if we want to compute a derivative of the left-hand side, we can use the product rule on the right-hand side.
$$\frac{d}{dt}g(X,Y) =\left(\frac{d}{dt}g_{\mu\nu}\right) X^\mu Y^\nu + g_{\mu\nu}\left(\frac{d}{dt}X^\mu\right) Y^\nu + g_{\mu\nu}X^\mu \left(\frac{d}{dt}Y^\nu\right).$$

Ah, I didn't think of that. Thanks for all your help!

1. What is the difference between D/dt g(t) and d/dt D_X Y?

D/dt g(t) is the derivative of a function g(t) with respect to time, while d/dt D_X Y is the derivative of the directional derivative of a function Y in the direction of the vector X with respect to time.

2. How do you calculate D/dt g(t)?

To calculate D/dt g(t), you use the standard definition of a derivative, which is the limit of the change in the function over the change in time as the change in time approaches 0.

3. What does the directional derivative represent?

The directional derivative represents the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It measures how fast the function is changing in that particular direction.

4. Can you give an example of using d/dt D_X Y in real life?

One example of using d/dt D_X Y in real life is calculating the rate of change of temperature at a specific point in a room over time, where the direction vector X represents the direction of air flow.

5. How does D/dt g(t) relate to the slope of a graph?

D/dt g(t) is essentially the slope of the graph of g(t) at a given point. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point.