Proving LHS = RHS: d2y/dx2 and 1/2(y'^2)

• Thread starter quietrain
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of showing that the left-hand side (LHS) is equal to the right-hand side (RHS) when dealing with the equation d2y/dx2 = d/dy [1/2 (y'^2)]. The lecturer shows that the RHS can be simplified to dy/dx * y' * d/dy, which then needs to be integrated to get 1/2 (y'^2). The question arises about the step of converting dy/dx to y' and what d/dy y' represents. It is explained that d/dy y' is equivalent to d/dx (dy/dx) and the resulting integration would be 2x-1.
quietrain
d2y/dx2 = d/dy [1/2 (y'^2)]

so how do we show that the LHS = RHS? starting from the LHS?

i don't really understand.

my lecturer made it become d2y/dx2 = dy/dx * d/dy * y' and he showed it equals RHS

i understand how he get to dy/dx * d/dy * y'

but shouldn't that become dy/dx *y' * d/dy which is (y')^2 * d/dy? so where did the 1/2 from the RHS come from?

any help? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi quietrain! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
quietrain said:
my lecturer made it become d2y/dx2 = dy/dx * d/dy * y' and he showed it equals RHS

i understand how he get to dy/dx * d/dy * y' …

(first, never write " d/dy * ", it makes no sense, either write " d/dy(y') " or " dy'/dy " :wink:)

now convert dy/dx to to y', and it's y' * d/dy (y'), = d/dy (1/2 y'2) :smile:

oh i see.

so d2y / dx2 = d/dx dy/dx = d/dy dy/dx *dy/dx = y' * d/dy y'

so i integrate y' * d/dy y' = 1/2 y'2

so the differiential form of 1/2 y'2 = y' *d/dy y'

but i don't understand this, what is d/dy y'?

i know d/dx of y' = d/dx of dy/dx which means differientiate dy/dx one more time with respect to x

but if i have d/dy of y' then i am differientiating dy/dx with respect to y ?

so for example y = x3

dy/dx = 3x2

so d/dx dy/dx = 6x

but what is d/dy dy/dx ?

quietrain said:
… if i have d/dy of y' then i am differientiating dy/dx with respect to y ?

so for example y = x3

dy/dx = 3x2

so d/dx dy/dx = 6x

but what is d/dy dy/dx ?

d/dy dy/dx = d/d(x3) 3x2

= d/dx3 3[x3]2/3

= 3*(2/3)*[x3]-1/3

= 2x-1

so y' d/dy dy/dx = 3x2 2x-1 = 6x :wink:

oh isee...

so that's why we need to put in a y' for partial differientiation...

so we have to convert the x2 term into a x3 term so that we can differientiate.

thanks a lot tim!

1. What does LHS and RHS stand for in the equation?

LHS stands for "left-hand side" and RHS stands for "right-hand side". In this equation, LHS represents the second derivative of y with respect to x (d2y/dx2) and RHS represents half of the square of the first derivative of y with respect to x (1/2(y'^2)).

2. Why is it important to prove that LHS = RHS?

Proving that LHS = RHS in this equation is important because it shows that there is a relationship between the second derivative of y with respect to x and half of the square of the first derivative of y with respect to x. This can help in understanding the behavior of the function y and its derivatives, and can also be useful in solving differential equations.

3. How do you prove that LHS = RHS?

To prove that LHS = RHS in this equation, you can use the definition of the second derivative and the chain rule to expand the LHS and then simplify it to match the RHS. You can also use the fundamental theorem of calculus to relate the two sides of the equation.

4. Can you give an example of proving LHS = RHS?

Yes, for example, if y = x^3, then the first derivative of y with respect to x (y') is 3x^2 and the second derivative of y with respect to x (d2y/dx2) is 6x. Plugging these values into the equation, we get LHS = d2y/dx2 = 6x and RHS = 1/2(y'^2) = 1/2(3x^2)^2 = 9x^4/2 = 4.5x^4. By simplifying the LHS, we get 6x = 4.5x^4, which is equal to the RHS. Hence, we have proved that LHS = RHS in this example.

5. What are the applications of this equation in science?

This equation has many applications in science, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used in analyzing the motion of objects and understanding the behavior of systems in various fields such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electricity. It is also used in solving differential equations that describe physical phenomena, making it a valuable tool in scientific research and problem-solving.