Daily life of a theoretical physics PhD student?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
DukeofDuke
Messages
264
Reaction score
1
Hey PF,

I am a third year undergraduate who has been working in a HEP experimental group for two years. So I have had a good deal of experience with the research process, and I know basically what the grad students and postdocs spend their time on in my group.

I am still completely clueless as to what a theory grad student does all day though?!? The experimental guys in my group spend a lot of time designing different analysis programs or doing one analysis or another or playing with monte carlos, etc.

On a day to day basis what would a theory guy be doing? Sitting in front of a chalkboard thinking? Reading papers and writing commentary like a humanities student? Talking?

I really have no idea and that should probably change before I apply for grad school...

Thanks PF.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I'm not doing all theory, but I'm doing some theory and some observation. My days are spent sleeping in, showing up in time for lunch, working until 7 or 8, heading home, working a bit more often, then going to bed. While I'm in the office, I spend a lot of time modeling systems on the computer - writing and running code - and then trying to match it up with my observations (I'm doing astrophysics). There's some reading and there should be a lot of writing involved, but I find it hard to motivate myself to write as often as I should. And yes, a lot of talking with my adviser - I wouldn't seek him out too much on my own, but he doesn't like his office and stops by mine a few times a day.