D'Alembert operator in GR/DG

In summary, this is related to a course in differential geometry, so I am having some trouble reproducing a result.
ChrisJ
Was not sure weather to post, this here or in differential geometry, but is related to a GR course, so...

I am having some trouble reproducing a result, I think it is mainly down to being very new to tensor notation and operations.

But, given the metric ##ds^2 = -dudv + \frac{(v-u)^2}{4} \left( d\theta^2 + \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2 \right)##

[tex]
g_{\alpha\beta} =

\begin{pmatrix}
0 & -\frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 \\
-\frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \frac{(v-u)^2}{4} & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & \frac{(v-u)^2}{4} \sin^2 \theta
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

and given this definition of the d'Alambert operator ##\Box := g^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}## , reproduce the following given the d'Alambert acting on a function ##f(u,v)##

[tex]

\Box f(u,v) = 4 \left( -\frac{1}{v-u} \frac{\partial f}{\partial u} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial v} - \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial u \partial v} \right)
[/tex]

And when I try to to reproduce it, I can see from the definition that the only non-zero parts are where the inverse metric components are ##g^{uv} = -2## and ##g^{vu} = -2 ## . The ##g^{\theta \theta} ## and ##g^{\phi \phi}## bits would be zero since the function is just of ##u## and ##v##.

So what I get is this...
[tex]
\Box := g^{\alpha\beta}\partial_{\alpha}\partial_{\beta}\\
\Box f(u,v) = g^{uv}\partial_{u}\partial_{v} f+ g^{vu}\partial_{v}\partial_{u}f = -4 \frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial u \partial v}
[/tex]

And I can't seem to see what I am missing here? Any help is really appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The d'Alembertian is not ##\Box = g^{\alpha\beta} \partial_\alpha \partial_\beta##, it is ##\Box = \nabla^a \nabla_a##, which for scalar fields reduces to
$$
\Box f = g^{ab} \nabla_b \nabla_a = g^{ab} \nabla_b \partial_a f = g^{ab}(\partial_b\partial_a f - \Gamma_{ba}^c \partial_c f).
$$

Likes ChrisJ
Orodruin said:
The d'Alembertian is not ##\Box = g^{\alpha\beta} \partial_\alpha \partial_\beta##, it is ##\Box = \nabla^a \nabla_a##, which for scalar fields reduces to
$$
\Box f = g^{ab} \nabla_b \nabla_a = g^{ab} \nabla_b \partial_a f = g^{ab}(\partial_b\partial_a f - \Gamma_{ba}^c \partial_c f).
$$
Oh. Ok.. thanks will give that a go!

ChrisJ said:
Oh. Ok.. thanks will give that a go!

Previous to trying this I found all of the christoffel symbols for the metric define in the OP, so now trying with this new definition, it still simplifies to ##g^{ab}\partial_a \partial_b ## because ##a## and ##b## can only take on ##u## or ##v## since there are not partials wrt to the others, and there are no non-zero Christoffel symbols for ##\Gamma^c_{uv}## , so I must still be missing something

Do you have any Christoffel symbols of the form ##\Gamma^u_{ab}##?

Orodruin said:
Do you have any Christoffel symbols of the form ##\Gamma^u_{ab}##?

Yes, but only for ##\Gamma^u_{\theta\theta}## and ##\Gamma^u_{\phi\phi} ## (and the same, but with with ##v## as ##c##). But that would lead to partials wrt to ##\theta## and ##\phi##, which don't appear in what I am trying to reproduce.

ChrisJ said:
But that would lead to partials wrt to ##theta## and ##\phi##
No, this is wrong.

Edit: To be more specific, for example ##\Gamma^u_{\theta\theta}## leads to the term
$$
-\Gamma^{u}_{\theta\theta} g^{\theta\theta} \partial_u f,
$$
which includes a derivative wrt ##u##.

Orodruin said:
No, this is wrong.

Sorry! Yes, I just saw it, the ##\partial_c## bit,
Orodruin said:
No, this is wrong.

Edit: To be more specific, for example ##\Gamma^u_{\theta\theta}## leads to the term
$$
-\Gamma^{u}_{\theta\theta} g^{\theta\theta} \partial_u f,
$$
which includes a derivative wrt ##u##.

Thank you! I just saw it, ok, so the terms with ##\Gamma^u_{\theta\theta}## and ##\Gamma^u_{\phi\phi}## lead to ##\frac{-4}{v-u}\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}## (and the same for the ones with ##\Gamma^v_{\theta\theta}## and ##\Gamma^v_{\phi\phi}## lead to ##\frac{4}{v-u}\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}##. And then the one that I already found in the OP with the zero christoffel symbol, leads to ##-4\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial u \partial v}##

So everything works out now?

Orodruin said:
So everything works out now?

Yes, thank you!

1. What is the D'Alembert operator in General Relativity/Differential Geometry?

The D'Alembert operator, also known as the wave operator, is a differential operator used in General Relativity and Differential Geometry to describe the propagation of waves in a curved spacetime. It is represented by the symbol □ and is defined as the sum of the Laplace-Beltrami operator and the inverse metric tensor.

2. What is the significance of the D'Alembert operator in GR/DG?

The D'Alembert operator plays a crucial role in the study of gravitational waves and their behavior in a curved spacetime. It is also used in the wave equation, which is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the propagation of waves in a medium.

3. How is the D'Alembert operator used in solving Einstein's field equations?

The D'Alembert operator is used to simplify and solve Einstein's field equations, which describe the curvature of spacetime caused by matter and energy. It is used to calculate the Ricci tensor, which is a key component of the field equations, and to derive the equations of motion for particles in a gravitational field.

4. Can the D'Alembert operator be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, the D'Alembert operator can be extended to higher dimensions in a straightforward manner. In four-dimensional spacetime, it is defined as the sum of the four-dimensional Laplacian and the inverse metric tensor. In higher dimensions, it is defined as the sum of the n-dimensional Laplacian and the inverse metric tensor.

5. What are some applications of the D'Alembert operator in other fields of science?

The D'Alembert operator has applications in various fields of science, including electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is used to solve the wave equation in these fields and to describe the behavior of waves in different mediums. It is also used in the study of heat transfer and diffusion processes.