Damped oscillation and time between displacement maximums

In summary, this person tried to solve for when dampened oscillation equals zero but got stuck. They would greatly appreciate any help.
NihalRi

Homework Statement

[/B]
Question 3.9
upload_2017-9-19_19-59-4.png

Homework Equations

equation for dampened ocillation[/B]
upload_2017-9-19_19-58-28.png

The Attempt at a Solution

In case this might appear confusing, I derived(with respect to t) the equation for dampened oscillation given above and tried to solve for when it equaled zero expecting this to happen for periodic values of t.
The constant A is removed in my derivation because it is unnecessary to find the maximum points.
I got stuck when trying to solve the derived equation for zero and I do not think I am heading in the right direction. I would greatly appreciate any any all help.

Thank you in advance.
[/B]

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-19_19-54-33.png
    upload_2017-9-19_19-54-33.png
    37.1 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
My attempt at a solution did not show up. Here it is
upload_2017-9-19_20-12-32.png

You can also get rid of phi as that is just a phase shift and does not change the period between maxima. That may help you figure out what you need to do next.

Likes NihalRi
Look at where you have:

##\omega\sin\left(\omega t+\phi\right)+\dfrac{\gamma}{2}\cos\left(\omega t+\phi\right)=0##

Now, apply a linear combination identity for sine and cosine. What do you have?

Likes NihalRi
Andrew Wildridge said:
You can also get rid of phi as that is just a phase shift and does not change the period between maxima. That may help you figure out what you need to do next.
MarkFL said:
Look at where you have:

##\omega\sin\left(\omega t+\phi\right)+\dfrac{\gamma}{2}\cos\left(\omega t+\phi\right)=0##

Now, apply a linear combination identity for sine and cosine. What do you have?

I tried to take what both of you said into account and it seemed to work. I was able to solve for t but it is not what I expected as is seems to still depend on the dampening constant ##\Upsilon##. Did I make a mistake somewhere?
upload_2017-9-20_7-19-4.png

If you apply a linear combination identity to:

you get a sinusoid of the form:

##\sqrt{\omega^2+\left(\dfrac{\gamma}{2}\right)^2}\sin\left(\omega t+\phi+\varphi\right)=0##

What is the period of this function?

Likes NihalRi
MarkFL said:
If you apply a linear combination identity to:

you get a sinusoid of the form:

##\sqrt{\omega^2+\left(\dfrac{\gamma}{2}\right)^2}\sin\left(\omega t+\phi+\varphi\right)=0##

What is the period of this function?
Oh I see. The period is, ##\dfrac{2\pi}{\omega}##, which means that the equation becomes zero at this period meaning that the peaks occur at this period which is independent of ##\varphi##.

Thank you all.

Likes MarkFL

What is damped oscillation?

Damped oscillation refers to a type of motion where an object or system experiences a decrease in amplitude over time. This decrease is caused by the dissipation of energy through friction or other resistive forces.

What causes damped oscillation?

Damped oscillation is caused by the presence of a resistive force, such as friction or air resistance, in a system that is undergoing oscillatory motion. This force dissipates energy from the system, resulting in a decrease in amplitude over time.

How is the time between displacement maximums calculated?

The time between displacement maximums, also known as the period of oscillation, can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant. This equation applies to simple harmonic motion, which is a type of oscillatory motion that does not experience damping.

What factors affect the time between displacement maximums in a damped oscillation?

The time between displacement maximums in a damped oscillation can be affected by several factors, including the amount of damping present, the spring constant of the system, and the mass of the object. A higher amount of damping or a higher spring constant can result in a shorter time between displacement maximums, while a higher mass can result in a longer time between displacement maximums.

How does the amplitude change over time in a damped oscillation?

In a damped oscillation, the amplitude decreases over time due to the dissipation of energy. This decrease in amplitude follows an exponential decay curve, where the amplitude decreases by a certain factor with each oscillation. Eventually, the amplitude will decrease to zero and the object will come to rest.