1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Damped Oscillation

1. Sep 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given: "In a science museum, a 110 kg brass pendulum bob swings at the end of a 15.0-m-long wire. The pendulum is started at exactly 8:00 a.m. every morning by pulling it 1.5 m to the side and releasing it. Because of its compact shape and smooth surface, the pendulum's damping constant is only 0.010 kg/s."

Questions:

(1) At exactly 12:00 noon, how many oscillations will the pendulum have completed?

(2) And what is its amplitude?

2. Relevant equations

None Given

3. The attempt at a solution

I used the equation x=A[tex]_{}0[/tex] e [tex]^{}-(b/2m)t[/tex] cos( [tex]\varpi[/tex] [tex]\acute{}[/tex] t+[tex]\phi[/tex])

I used the first bit of the equation to find the exact amplitude t(x) when x=14400 (x=A[tex]_{}0[/tex]e[tex]^{}-(b/2m)t[/tex] to find the amplitude)

But the trouble I'm having is the number of oscillations in the 4 hour period.

I took the angular frequency ([tex]\varpi\acute{}[/tex]) and multiplied that by the number of seconds (14400), but the resulting answer was incorrect. Since [tex]\phi[/tex]=0, taking the cosine of ([tex]\varpi\acute{}[/tex]) gives another answer, but I'm not confident that it is the correct answer, and I don't want to stab in the dark until I get it right.

I'm a bit stuck.

Since this is damped oscillation, and the initial period is greater than one second, the number HAS to be less than 14400.

Any help? Am I on the right track? Is there something I'm missing?

Note: It doesn't seem that the latex is putting superscripts in the correct locations, so please bear with me.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

have a look at the thread in intro physics.

4. Sep 11, 2007 #3
    Thank you! All solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?