Braking a Separately Excited DC Motor: Calculation and Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of parameters for a separately excited DC motor being braked by plugging. These parameters include the resistance needed in the armature circuit to limit braking current, the braking torque, and the torque when the speed has fallen to zero. The formula Ea = Ke*wm(rated) is used to calculate the resistance needed, and the formula Va = Ea + (Ia*Ra) is used to calculate the braking torque. However, it is noted that the torque will be zero when the speed has fallen to zero, as the current in the circuit will also be zero.
khedira

Homework Statement

A separately excited DC motor with 220V, 970rpm, 100A and Ra=0.05ohms. It is braked by plugging from an initial speed of 1000rpm.

I need to calculate i)the resistance to be placed in the armature circuit to limit braking current to twice the full load value, ii)the braking torque and iii)torque when speed fallen to zero.

for i),
braking current limit = 200A
Ea(rated) = Va(rated) - [Ia(rated)*Ra]
= 220 - (100*0.05)
= 215V

Ea = Ke*wm(rated)
215 = Ke*(970*2*pi/60)
Ke = 2.1166 V/(rad/s)

For braking by plugging, Va = -220V
Va = Ea + (Ia*Ra)
-220 = (2.1166*1000rpm*2*pi/60) + [-200*(0.05+Rext)]
Rext = 2.158ohms

ii),
braking torque = Ke*Ia
= 2.1166*-200
= -423.23Nm

Are my answers correct for part i and part ii?

For part iii, i have no idea how i can approach to solve the problem. Since torque = Ke*Ia, but when speed fallen to zero, Ia = 0? If Ia = 0, then torque will be 0 too??

Please advise. Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations Ea = Ke*wm(rated) Va = Ea + (Ia*Ra) braking torque = Ke*IaThe Attempt at a Solution For part i, braking current limit = 200AEa(rated) = Va(rated) - [Ia(rated)*Ra] = 220 - (100*0.05) = 215VEa = Ke*wm(rated)215 = Ke*(970*2*pi/60)Ke = 2.1166 V/(rad/s)For braking by plugging, Va = -220VVa = Ea + (Ia*Ra)-220 = (2.1166*1000rpm*2*pi/60) + [-200*(0.05+Rext)]Rext = 2.158ohmsii),braking torque = Ke*Ia = 2.1166*-200 = -423.23Nm

1. How do you calculate the braking torque of a separately excited DC motor?

The braking torque of a separately excited DC motor can be calculated using the formula: Tb = (Vt - Eb)/Ra, where Vt is the terminal voltage, Eb is the back EMF, and Ra is the armature resistance. This formula is based on the principle of conservation of energy, where the energy lost in braking is equal to the energy dissipated in the armature resistance.

2. What is the significance of the armature resistance in braking a separately excited DC motor?

The armature resistance plays a crucial role in braking a separately excited DC motor. It acts as a load and dissipates energy in the form of heat, thereby reducing the rotational speed of the motor. The higher the armature resistance, the greater the braking torque and the faster the motor will come to a stop.

3. How does the back EMF affect the braking of a separately excited DC motor?

The back EMF (Eb) is the voltage generated by the motor when it is rotating. It opposes the source voltage (Vt) and reduces the current flowing through the armature. This, in turn, reduces the braking torque, making the motor slow down gradually instead of coming to an abrupt stop. Therefore, a higher back EMF will result in a slower braking process.

4. What are the different methods for braking a separately excited DC motor?

There are three main methods for braking a separately excited DC motor: dynamic braking, regenerative braking, and plugging. Dynamic braking involves applying a braking voltage to the armature, while regenerative braking uses the motor as a generator to return energy to the supply. Plugging, on the other hand, reverses the polarity of the armature voltage to bring the motor to a quick stop.

5. How can you analyze the braking performance of a separately excited DC motor?

The braking performance of a separately excited DC motor can be analyzed by measuring and comparing the motor's braking torque and time under different conditions. This can be done by varying the armature resistance, back EMF, and braking method. Additionally, plotting a graph of braking torque vs. time can provide valuable insights into the motor's braking capabilities and efficiency.