Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DC to AC

1. Jan 29, 2009 #1
    Hello guys
    Does any one know how to change from DC [Direct current] to AC [Alternating Current]?
    Which circuit did I need to use?
    I will use it for my solar panel … it only generate a DC and I need to change it to AC
    A web sit …blue print of the circuit … any thing will be good

is it possible

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Well, that's gonig to be tricky. Do your panels put out enough power? AC to DC isn't hard because you're often going from 100 watts to 1 Watt (eg: 110VAC @ 1amp to 12VDC @ .8amp) but gonig the other way, you're starting with just a few watts.

Anyeay, Google power inverters.

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    An oscillator is such a converter. You can also drive a transformer with an oscillator to step up or down the voltage.

5. Jan 29, 2009 #4
    3000 watt DC

6. Jan 29, 2009 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's probably best to start by looking at commercially-available inverters:

http://www.mrsolar.com/content/solar-power-inverters.php

We had a thread a while back here on the PF about the optimum power point for solar panel inverter operation, but I'm having trouble finding it with searches (including google's site: Advanced search).... The optimum power point converter adjusts the Vin and Iin operating point of the solar panel, to get the optimum power output.

7. Jan 29, 2009 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Oh. Ah. I stand corrected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?