Wavelength of a Tennis Ball at 0 Velocity

In summary: However, when the velocity is known to be very small, for example when probing the behavior of subatomic particles, then the wavelength can be considered infinite. This is because the particles can be found at any point in space, even if their exact position is not known.
Thejas15101998
In the De Broglie equation : λ = h / (m v) what happens when the velocity of an object is zero? I see that we get ∞ wavelength . It is not making any sense to me. Could anyone please help me. Let's take the object to be a tennis ball say.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you put some numbers in. For v, uise one micron per century. That's pretty close to zero.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why don't you put some numbers in. For v, uise one micron per century. That's pretty close to zero.
why not zero itself for velocity? What is the significance of infinite wavelength? what does it convey?

I was trying to teach you something, But never mind.

Likes bhobba
De Broglie's theory is outdated for about 91 years now. Why do you bother with it. The right place to start is non-relativistic quantum mechanics, which you can formulate as "wave mechanics" a la Schrödinger. Then think about the question, whether there is a state represented by a momentum eigenvector. Note that wave functions can only represent true states if they are square integrable, i.e., for which you can normalize the wave function such that
$$\langle \psi|\psi \rangle=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} |\psi(\vec{x})|^2=1.$$

Likes bhobba and tjej
Thejas15101998 said:
In the De Broglie equation : λ = h / (m v) what happens when the velocity of an object is zero? I see that we get ∞ wavelength . It is not making any sense to me. Could anyone please help me. Let's take the object to be a tennis ball say.
The De Broglie relation makes sense only when combined with Heisenberg uncertainty principle. If velocity v is known with certainty (be it 0 or any other definite value), then position is totally unknown. The infinite wavelength (or any other well defined wavelength) expresses the fact that the particle can be found anywhere.

In a realistic situation the velocity is never known with absolute precision, and consequently the wavelength is also not known with absolute precision.

Likes bhobba, tjej, TuBa and 1 other person

1. What is the wavelength of a tennis ball at 0 velocity?

The wavelength of a tennis ball at 0 velocity is not a measurable quantity. Wavelength is a property of waves, and since a tennis ball is not a wave, it does not have a wavelength.

2. Can the wavelength of a tennis ball at 0 velocity change?

No, the wavelength of a tennis ball at 0 velocity cannot change because it does not have a wavelength to begin with. The wavelength of a wave can change depending on the medium it travels through, but this does not apply to a tennis ball.

3. How does the wavelength of a tennis ball at 0 velocity compare to the wavelength of light?

Since a tennis ball is not a wave, it cannot be compared to the wavelength of light. Light is an electromagnetic wave and has a measurable wavelength, while a tennis ball is a solid object that does not exhibit wave characteristics.

4. Is there a relationship between the wavelength of a tennis ball at 0 velocity and its size?

No, there is no relationship between the wavelength of a tennis ball at 0 velocity and its size. The size of an object does not affect its wavelength, as wavelength is a property of waves and not solid objects.

5. How is the wavelength of a tennis ball at 0 velocity determined?

As previously mentioned, a tennis ball does not have a wavelength at 0 velocity. Therefore, it cannot be determined. However, the size and material of the tennis ball can affect its behavior and properties when in motion.