De-embedding cables using s4p files

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of de-embedding s4p files for different types of cables using Matlab. The suggested steps include converting the de-embedded transfer function to s-parameters, writing them to a touchstone file, combining them with the test fixture's s-parameters, and exporting the new combined s-parameters to a touchstone file. The speaker also offers further assistance and wishes good luck with the research.
jeiB
Hello everyone,

I am working on de-embedding s4p files for different types of cables. I have an s2p file for the test fixture alone. The s4p files obviously includes the cable and the test fixture.

Using Matlab, I was able to get the transfer function of the de-embedded cables by dividing the tf of the cable by the tf of the fixture.

Now I would like to calculate the new s-parameters and export them to a new s4p file.

Im a bit confused on the procedure. Can I convert the de-embedded tf back to s-parameter? Or do I want to use the deembedsparams function in Matlab ?

Also, does Matlab have a function that writes a file with the touchstone format?

Thanks a lot for the help,

Physics news on Phys.org

As a scientist familiar with signal processing and Matlab, I would suggest the following steps for calculating the new s-parameters and exporting them to a touchstone file:

1. Convert the de-embedded transfer function to s-parameters using the "tf2s" function in Matlab. This will give you the new s-parameters for the cable.

2. Use the "s2pwrite" function in Matlab to write the s-parameters to a touchstone file. This function allows you to specify the frequency range and format of the touchstone file.

3. To combine the s-parameters of the de-embedded cable with the test fixture, you can use the "s2padd" function in Matlab. This will add the s-parameters of the cable to the s-parameters of the test fixture, giving you the complete s-parameters for the entire system.

4. Finally, use the "s2pwrite" function again to write the new combined s-parameters to a touchstone file.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the purpose of de-embedding cables using s4p files?

The purpose of de-embedding cables using s4p files is to remove the effects of the cable from the measured data. This allows for more accurate measurements and analysis of the device under test.

2. What is an s4p file?

An s4p file is a Touchstone file that contains the frequency domain data for a 2-port network. It includes information about the magnitude and phase of the signals transmitted and received by the network.

3. How do I obtain s4p files for my cables?

S4p files can be obtained through calibration of the cables using a vector network analyzer (VNA). The VNA measures the characteristics of the cable and generates the s4p file.

4. Can s4p files be used for any type of cable?

Yes, s4p files can be used for any type of cable as long as it is a 2-port network. This includes coaxial cables, microstrip lines, and waveguides.

5. What are the limitations of de-embedding cables using s4p files?

De-embedding cables using s4p files can only remove the effects of the cable itself. It cannot account for any additional components or effects in the measurement setup, such as connectors or fixtures. Additionally, the accuracy of the de-embedding process depends on the accuracy of the VNA used for calibration.