DE for motion of a particle

In summary, Newton's law of motion tells us that the x-component of the force is -x(t)mω^2. The solution to this differential equation is x(t) = c1cos(ωt) + c2sin(ωt).
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is confined to a horizontal plane. It is elastically bound to its equilibrium position by an isotropic elastic force,

F=mω^2r
Where r is the displacement of the particle from equilibrium and ω is a real constant parameter.

From Newton's law, we obtain the equation of motion:

r'' + ω^2r = 0.

In rect. coordinates r(t) = ix(t) + jy(t).

Obtain expressions for x(t) and y(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The x-component of force :

Fx = -x(t)mω^2 = mx''(t)
x''(t) + x(t)ω^2 = 0
The solution to this DE is x(t) = c1cos(ωt) + c2sin(ωt)
Then I'll apply the initial conditions given in the problem to obtain the constants.

Here's the part I'm unsure about
When I solve the differential equation for the y component I get
y(t) = a1cos(ωt) + a2sin(ωt). I'm thinking I have to multiply this by t so that the solutions are linearly independent:

y(t) = a1*tcos(ωt) + a2*tsin(ωt). Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
bcjochim07 said:
Here's the part I'm unsure about
When I solve the differential equation for the y component I get
y(t) = a1cos(ωt) + a2sin(ωt). I'm thinking I have to multiply this by t so that the solutions are linearly independent:

y(t) = a1*tcos(ωt) + a2*tsin(ωt). Is this correct?

No. Don't multiply by t.

I don't understand why. Could you please explain?

Thanks.

You don't understand why? What makes you think you should? It certainly can't be because x depends on those functions- the y-coordinate has nothing to do with the x-coordinate. They are completely indepedent.

There's no need to multiply by [tex] t [/tex]. Yes, [tex] x(t) [/tex] and [tex] y(t) [/tex] are solutions to the same ODE, but there's no reason for them to be linearly independent; you're not going to use them as a basis in which to express other solutions of the ODE. In fact, you already used such a basis to get [tex] x [/tex] and [tex] y [/tex], i.e., [tex] \cos(\omega t) [/tex] and [tex] \sin(\omega t) [/tex].

You're probably confusing this with a similar-looking situation encountered with some second-order linear ODEs, which can be converted to a system of coupled linear first-order equations; if the associated matrix of this system is degenerate (that is, has repeated eigenvalues), then a basis for the solution space may include such elements as [tex] t \sin(\omega t) [/tex]. (The reason for this is best understood as a consequence of the fact that the "degenerate" real canonical form of a matrix is the sum of the identity and a nilpotent matrix. Thus, when exponentiated, such a matrix yields a prefactor of [tex] e^t [/tex] times the identity and a sum of higher-order terms in [tex] t [/tex] that eventually terminates.)

As a final note, it's usually preferable to express solutions like [tex] c_1 \cos(\omega t) + c_2 \sin(\omega t) [/tex] in the form [tex] A \cos(\omega t + \phi) [/tex] for some phase [tex] \phi [/tex].

1. What is DE for motion of a particle?

The DE for motion of a particle is a differential equation that describes the motion of a particle in terms of its position, velocity, and acceleration. It is commonly used in physics to model the behavior of objects in motion.

2. How is DE for motion of a particle derived?

The DE for motion of a particle is derived by applying Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This equation can then be rearranged to express the acceleration in terms of the position and velocity of the particle, resulting in a second-order differential equation.

3. What are the key variables in DE for motion of a particle?

The key variables in DE for motion of a particle are the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle. These variables can be represented as functions of time, giving us a mathematical description of the particle's motion over time.

4. How is DE for motion of a particle solved?

DE for motion of a particle can be solved through various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using initial conditions. The solution will typically involve integrating the equation and finding a function that satisfies the given conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of DE for motion of a particle?

DE for motion of a particle is used in a variety of real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, modeling the behavior of a pendulum, and studying the motion of planets and satellites in space. It is also used in engineering to design and analyze systems with moving parts, such as cars and machines.