DE question involving a falling object

In summary: Now the question is asking you to sketch the graph of v(t) using the equation you found. How you sketch the graph will depend on how familiar you are with functions and the properties of exponential functions. If you're familiar with these, then you should have no problem.
Emethyst

Homework Statement

Note that this is a first year, Calculus 12 DE question:
The velocity,v, of an object falling through the Earth's atmosphere obeys the DE dv/dt=g-kv, where k is the called the drag constant and g is the gravitational constant. This equation states that the acceleration of the object is g reduced by an amount that represents air resistance (kv). Air resistance is proportional to the velocity of the object.
a) Find the function v(t) assuming that v(0)=0.

Homework Equations

All first year calculus methods used to find DE's.

The Attempt at a Solution

I just seem to be lost on how to convert the derivative given into an equation that contains the variables given by dv/dt. I have no problems finding antiderivatives, it just seems to be the introduction of variables instead of numbers here that is throwing me off. If anyone can point me along in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you take kv on the other side than you could see that it is a linear diff equation

That's what I originally tried to do, but I am not sure if I can then integrate both sides, as from what I did:

dv/dt + kv = g
dv + (dt)(kv) = (g)(dt)

I don't know if I am going wrong somewhere here, as I thought for this to be integrated I would have to get it into the form (kv)(dv) = (g)(dt), and from what I did it doesn't look like it will get into that form easily :tongue:

You need to look at this as two separate equations:
1) v' + kv = 0 (the homogeneous linear DE)
2) v' + kv = g (the nonhomogeneous linear DE)

Can you find the set of solutions vh for the first equation? Hint: There will be a bunch of them, and they are multiples of the same exponential function.

Now can you find a particular solution vp to the second equation?

Your general solution vg will be vh + vp.

Be sure to use your initial condition, v(0) = 0.

Havent you been taught to solve linear diff equation with the help of integration factor?

There is another way of doing this, however depending on whether you're a maths or physics student this may or may not be allowed. So I would ask you to check up on this method with your professor since this method is usually frowned upon by mathematicians. Physicists however use it all the time.

Divide by g-kv on both sides and multiple both sides with dt gives

[tex]\frac{dv}{g-kv}=dt[/tex]

This is easily integrated, don't forget the constant!

Cyosis said:
There is another way of doing this, however depending on whether you're a maths or physics student this may or may not be allowed. So I would ask you to check up on this method with your professor since this method is usually frowned upon by mathematicians. Physicists however use it all the time.

Divide by g-kv on both sides and multiple both sides with dt gives

[tex]\frac{dv}{g-kv}=dt[/tex]

This is easily integrated, don't forget the constant!
This is a better, and simpler approach than the one I suggested. I was thinking that the equation was separable, but for some reason this very simple step didn't come to me.

Thanks for all of that help, I managed to find the equation, but now I'm having problems with b) of this question, which states: Let vT=g/k. When v=vT, the acceleration, dv/dt, is zero and thus the object maintains a constant terminal velocity. Rewrite v(t) in terms of vT, and sketch the graph of v(t).

Graphing is no problem for me, I am just not sure how to find the new equation in terms of vT. So far I have the equation written as v(t)=vT(1-e^-kt), but don't know how to continue on with the question. Any help pointing me in the right direction here would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You've done what they asked of you, rewritten the equation in terms of v_T.

1. How does the weight of an object affect its rate of falling?

The weight of an object does not affect its rate of falling. According to the equation of motion, the acceleration of an object due to gravity is constant (9.8 m/s²) regardless of its weight. This means that all objects, regardless of their weight, will fall to the ground at the same rate.

2. Does air resistance play a role in the falling of objects?

Yes, air resistance does play a role in the falling of objects. As an object moves through the air, it experiences a force in the opposite direction of its motion due to air resistance. This force can slow down the object's rate of falling, especially for objects with a large surface area, such as a parachute.

3. How does the height from which an object is dropped affect its falling speed?

The height from which an object is dropped does not affect its falling speed. According to the equation of motion, the initial velocity of an object (which is zero when dropped) does not depend on the height from which it is dropped. The rate of falling, however, does depend on the height as it determines the time it takes for the object to reach the ground.

4. What is the difference between free fall and falling with air resistance?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity only, with no other forces acting on it. This means that the object is falling without any resistance from the air. Falling with air resistance, on the other hand, involves the object experiencing a force due to air resistance, which can affect its rate of falling.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its falling speed?

The mass of an object does not affect its falling speed. As mentioned earlier, the acceleration due to gravity is constant, regardless of the mass of the object. However, a heavier object will experience a greater force due to gravity compared to a lighter object, which can affect the impact it makes when it reaches the ground.