1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DE - Solutions By Substitutions (algebraic manipulation problem)

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    I can't for the life of me understand how the book went from step A to step B--even though I realize its just a pesky algebraic manipulation.

Step A

[tex] M(1,u) dx +N(1,u)[u dx+ x du] = 0 [/tex]

Step B

[tex] [M(1,u) + uN(1,u) ]dx + xN(1,u)du = 0[/tex]

Step A to Step B? I tried factoring and tinkering around here and there but all was in vain.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You'll be embarrassed if we work it out for you !

[itex] M(1,u) dx +N(1,u)[u dx+ x du] = 0 [/itex]  [itex] M(1,u) dx + u N(1,u) dx+ x N(1,u) du = 0 [/itex]

4. May 16, 2012 #3
    To me it just seems that you wrote step B in an extremely similar form. I don't understand how you got to that step either. There must be something I'm misinterpreting because it seems like your missing at least a couple terms (if you factor).

5. May 16, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Distribute the N(1,u):
    [itex]N(1,u)[u dx+ x du][/itex]​

6. May 16, 2012 #5
    I always thought one must distribute everything? Given how we have two polynomials, shouldn't you always foil? Take for example:

[tex] (x+2)(x-2) [/tex] It wouldn't make sense to only distribute the 2 in the first bracket and say the expression is equal to
    [tex]x+2x-4[/tex]

7. May 17, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, that's [itex]x^2+2x-4[/itex]

but for your problem ...

a + b(c+e) is a + bc + be . --- Right ?

The a is M(1,u)dx ,

the b is N(1,u) ,

the c is u dx ,

and the e is x du

8. May 17, 2012 #7
    I know it is x^2+2x-4. But I was saying that by your method it would have been x+2x-4.

Your logic is spot on. But something is still bothering me.

a + b(c+e) is a + bc + be

The a is x
    The b is +2
    The c is x
    The e is -2

So then it would follow
    [tex]a+bc+be[/tex]
    [tex]x+2x-4[/tex]

So What happened here? It doesn't come out to x^2+2x-4 like I was trying to say before.

The correct answer would have been ac+bc+be. I know what you said is consistent but something is being mixed up here.

Edit:

Maybe what makes the difference is that there aren't brackets aroudn the first two terms. So that

[tex] (a+b) (c+e) ≠ a+b(c+e)[/tex]

Is this correct?

9. May 17, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I misread what you said here.

Yes, of course [itex] (x+2)(x-2) [/itex] is the same as [itex]x^2+2x-4\ .[/itex]

What you have in this problem is more like [itex] x+2(x-2)\,, [/itex] which is indeed the same as [itex]x+2x-4\ .[/itex]

In Step A) of your original post, the M(1,u) does not get distributed through anything.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  10. May 17, 2012 #9
    That's correct. Parentheses can make all the difference in an answer.

11. May 17, 2012 #10
    Oh thanks!

Wow, that is a really important algebraic property to know. I find it funny that I learn it now while in differential equations! :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook