DE - Solutions By Substitutions (algebraic manipulation problem)

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manipulation
In summary: So what happened here? It doesn't come out to x^2+2x-4 like I was trying to say before.In summary, the author tried to solve a problem but was lost and did not understand how to distribute the terms.
Nano-Passion
I can't for the life of me understand how the book went from step A to step B--even though I realize its just a pesky algebraic manipulation.

Step A

[tex] M(1,u) dx +N(1,u)[u dx+ x du] = 0 [/tex]

Step B

[tex] [M(1,u) + uN(1,u) ]dx + xN(1,u)du = 0[/tex]

Step A to Step B? I tried factoring and tinkering around here and there but all was in vain.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:
I can't for the life of me understand how the book went from step A to step B--even though I realize its just a pesky algebraic manipulation.

Step A

[tex] M(1,u) dx +N(1,u)[u dx+ x du] = 0 [/tex]

Step B

[tex] [M(1,u) + uN(1,u) ]dx + xN(1,u)du = 0[/tex]

Step A to Step B? I tried factoring and tinkering around here and there but all was in vain.
You'll be embarrassed if we work it out for you !

[itex] M(1,u) dx +N(1,u)[u dx+ x du] = 0 [/itex]  [itex] M(1,u) dx + u N(1,u) dx+ x N(1,u) du = 0 [/itex]

SammyS said:
You'll be embarrassed if we work it out for you !

[itex] M(1,u) dx +N(1,u)[u dx+ x du] = 0 [/itex]  [itex] M(1,u) dx + u N(1,u) dx+ x N(1,u) du = 0 [/itex]

To me it just seems that you wrote step B in an extremely similar form. I don't understand how you got to that step either. There must be something I'm misinterpreting because it seems like your missing at least a couple terms (if you factor).

Nano-Passion said:
To me it just seems that you wrote step B in an extremely similar form. I don't understand how you got to that step either. There must be something I'm misinterpreting because it seems like your missing at least a couple terms (if you factor).
Distribute the N(1,u):
[itex]N(1,u)[u dx+ x du][/itex]​

SammyS said:
Distribute the N(1,u):
[itex]N(1,u)[u dx+ x du][/itex]​

I always thought one must distribute everything? Given how we have two polynomials, shouldn't you always foil? Take for example:

[tex] (x+2)(x-2) [/tex] It wouldn't make sense to only distribute the 2 in the first bracket and say the expression is equal to
[tex]x+2x-4[/tex]

Nano-Passion said:
I always thought one must distribute everything? Given how we have two polynomials, shouldn't you always foil? Take for example:

[tex] (x+2)(x-2) [/tex] It wouldn't make sense to only distribute the 2 in the first bracket and say the expression is equal to
[tex]x+2x-4[/tex]
Actually, that's [itex]x^2+2x-4[/itex]

but for your problem ...

a + b(c+e) is a + bc + be . --- Right ?

The a is M(1,u)dx ,

the b is N(1,u) ,

the c is u dx ,

and the e is x du

SammyS said:
Actually, that's [itex]x^2+2x-4[/itex]

I know it is x^2+2x-4. But I was saying that by your method it would have been x+2x-4.

a + b(c+e) is a + bc + be . --- Right ?

The a is M(1,u)dx ,

the b is N(1,u) ,

the c is u dx ,

and the e is x du

Your logic is spot on. But something is still bothering me.

a + b(c+e) is a + bc + be

The a is x
The b is +2
The c is x
The e is -2

So then it would follow
[tex]a+bc+be[/tex]
[tex]x+2x-4[/tex]

So What happened here? It doesn't come out to x^2+2x-4 like I was trying to say before.

The correct answer would have been ac+bc+be. I know what you said is consistent but something is being mixed up here.

Edit:

Maybe what makes the difference is that there aren't brackets aroudn the first two terms. So that

[tex] (a+b) (c+e) ≠ a+b(c+e)[/tex]

Is this correct?

Nano-Passion said:

[tex]x+2x-4[/tex]
I misread what you said here.

Yes, of course [itex] (x+2)(x-2) [/itex] is the same as [itex]x^2+2x-4\ .[/itex]

What you have in this problem is more like [itex] x+2(x-2)\,, [/itex] which is indeed the same as [itex]x+2x-4\ .[/itex]

In Step A) of your original post, the M(1,u) does not get distributed through anything.

Last edited:
Nano-Passion said:
Maybe what makes the difference is that there aren't brackets aroudn the first two terms. So that

[tex] (a+b) (c+e) ≠ a+b(c+e)[/tex]

Is this correct?

That's correct. Parentheses can make all the difference in an answer.

SammyS said:
I misread what you said here.

Yes, of course [itex] (x+2)(x-2) [/itex] is the same as [itex]x^2+2x-4\ .[/itex]

What you have in this problem is more like [itex] x+2(x-2)\,, [/itex] which is indeed the same as [itex]x+2x-4\ .[/itex]

In Step A) of your original post, the M(1,u) does not get distributed through anything.

Oh thanks!

Bohrok said:
That's correct. Parentheses can make all the difference in an answer.

Wow, that is a really important algebraic property to know. I find it funny that I learn it now while in differential equations! :rofl:

What is "DE - Solutions By Substitutions"?

"DE - Solutions By Substitutions" is a problem-solving technique in algebra involving the substitution of a variable with another expression to simplify and solve a differential equation (DE).

Why is solving DEs important?

Differential equations are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, heat transfer, and motion. Solving DEs allows us to understand and predict the behavior of these systems.

What is the process for solving a DE using substitutions?

The process for solving a DE using substitutions involves substituting a new variable for the original variable in the DE, manipulating the equation to eliminate the original variable, and then solving for the new variable. Finally, the substitution is reversed to find the solution for the original variable.

What are some common substitution techniques used in solving DEs?

Some common substitution techniques used in solving DEs include trigonometric substitutions, exponential substitutions, and power substitutions. These techniques are chosen based on the form of the DE and the type of solution desired.

What are some tips for successfully solving DEs using substitutions?

Some tips for successfully solving DEs using substitutions include carefully choosing the substitution to eliminate the original variable, being familiar with algebraic manipulation techniques, and double-checking the final solution by substituting it back into the original DE.