Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Debroglie wavelength equation

1. Mar 22, 2013 #1
    So for my AS specification I need to know how to use the debroile wavelength equation which is fair enough and easy.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why do all particles have a wavelength or wave function? Or even like a tennis ball?

Thanks,

PS: I know it's a weird question, sorry!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Its not a silly question, but the answer probably isn't helpful either. All particles can be viewed as having a wave nature and as a consequence all things made of particles can be viewed as having a wave nature. This is the basis for Quantum Mechanics.

We can't explain why only that it is a testable fact of nature.

4. Mar 22, 2013 #3
    Do you know how DeBroglie came up with his equation?....it is so simple but brilliant.
    He knew that E = mc2 gave the energy equivalent of a particle and that E = hf = hc/λ gave the energy of a wave (photon) By equating these 2 equations he came up with the relationship mc = h/λ or momentum = h/λ. This gave the link between waves and particles that has been confirmed for all particles.

5. Mar 22, 2013 #4

jedishrfu

I think it was his PhD thesis paper and it was one page long. They almost didn't want to give him the degree.

6. Mar 24, 2013 #5
    the original eqn which De-broglie took was E=[m^2c^4 +(pc)^2]^1/2.
    He assumed m=0(i.e for photon),
    What my ques is that , if he derived the equation for a photon ,than how can we apply this theory to any particle.

7. Mar 24, 2013 #6

jedishrfu

By not setting m=0

8. Mar 24, 2013 #7

DrClaude

The typeset version I have is 109 pages long. Indeed, the evaluators (including Langevin) weren't sure what to make of it and passed on a copy to Einstein, who was positive about the work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook