Decay of Roe Meson: Conservation Laws Explained

In summary: In any case, I'm really stuck and I would really appreciate any help you can provide!In summary, the student is trying to figure out why a decay is not allowed and is looking for help from an expert. The student is familiar with LaTex, but needs help with a problem in particle physics.
K8181
I just started a class in particle physics this semester, and I really need help on one of our first homework problems. We are supposed to show that while the following decays are allowed:

roe(+) --> pi(0)pi(+)
roe(-) --> pi(0)pi(-)
roe(0) --> pi(+)pi(-)

the following decay is not allowed:

roe(0) --> pi(0)pi(0)

I am pretty sure the reason is that it violates a conservation law, but I don't know which one. We have barely touched on what quantities are conserved in lecture. I can see that charge is conserved in all cases, so no problem there.

We are also told that the roe meson is a spin 1 particle, so I think that should play a role. However, the part of quantum mechanics that dealt with angular momentum and spin was a bit treacherous for me. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This all sounds pretty fishy to me... Oh perhaps you mean [itex] \rho [/itex] that is rho!

You might benifit by reading This thread.

Fantastic! I am already familiar with LaTex.

For anyone reading this thread, that link was just about using LaTex for math symbols...I still REALLY need help with this problem!

:biggrin:

I'm not an expert in particle physics, but have you checked

1.) spin
2.) parity

I think rho mesons have both their quark and antiquark aligned, whereas pions have them antiparallel so one rho can't make two pions.

From what I have deduced, I think the culprit is parity. Could you explain what you know about parity? I have always found it a mysterious concept.

Related to Decay of Roe Meson: Conservation Laws Explained

1. What is the decay of Roe Meson?

The decay of Roe Meson refers to the process in which the Roe Meson particle breaks down into other particles, releasing energy in the form of radiation. This is a natural process that occurs in all subatomic particles and is governed by the laws of conservation.

2. What are conservation laws?

Conservation laws are fundamental principles in physics that state that certain quantities, such as energy, momentum, and charge, remain constant in a closed system. In other words, these quantities cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

3. How do conservation laws apply to the decay of Roe Meson?

In the decay of Roe Meson, the conservation laws of energy, momentum, and charge all play a role. The total energy of the initial particle must be equal to the total energy of the decay products, the total momentum must be conserved, and the total charge must remain constant.

4. What is the significance of conservation laws in understanding subatomic particles?

Conservation laws provide a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles. They help us determine the possible outcomes of particle interactions and can be used to make calculations and predictions in particle physics experiments.

5. Are there any exceptions to conservation laws in the decay of Roe Meson?

While conservation laws are generally observed in the decay of Roe Meson, there are some exceptions. For example, the total angular momentum of the system may not be conserved in certain cases due to the uncertainty principle. However, these exceptions are well understood and do not invalidate the overall principles of conservation laws.