Decrease in entropy atoms problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entropy and its relation to temperature. The participants also discuss a specific scenario where a chunk of ice melts and whether this process results in an increase or decrease in entropy. It is concluded that an increase in entropy usually corresponds to an increase in temperature and that the melting of ice would result in an increase in entropy.
pkossak
If one could observe the individual atoms making up a piece of matter and note that during a process of change their motion somehow became more orderly, than one may assume which of the following in regard to the system?
a. increase in entropy b. decrease in entropy c. gains in thermal energy d. positive work done on

I know the answer is b. decreases in entropy, but my question is why? This may seem like a silly question, but I just wanted to make sure I understood what's going on here. If there is a decrease in entropy, that would mean that temperature is going up, correct? I'm also not quite sure on what they mean by "orderly," the atoms would be speeding up if this was the case, but I don't see what that has to do with being "orderly." Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
A decrease in entropy will usually mean a decrease in temperature. Remember the definition of entropy: [itex]dS=dq_{rev}/T[/itex]. This means that an infintisimal change in entropy is equal to the heat supplied in a reversible path. Since a positive change in entropy coresponds to a positive intake of heat, this most often means that the temperature will increase with an increase in entropy (although exceptions are not difficult to find), and conversely that a decrease in entropy usually coresponds to a decrease in temperature.

I understand what you're saying, but for some reason I just don't understand how that works. Entropy = deltaQ/T, it just seems to make sense that if you plug in a higher number for T, entropy is going to decrease. What am I missing here? Thanks a lot for your help, sorry I'm making this so difficult! I just want to make sure I understand.

Also, just to see if I'm on the right track, could someone tell me if I'm right here.

A 1.0 kg chunk of ice at 0 C melts, absorbing 80000 cal of heat in the process. Which of the following best describes what happens to this system?
A. increased entropy b. lost entropy c. entropy maintained constant d. work converted to energy

It would be a. increased entropy, because as this happens, the process has an effect on its surroundings. This means the process is irreversible, and if its irreversible, the total entropy always increases.

Is that right?

Thanks again for your patience

I see what the problem is. Notice that the equation is [itex]dS=dq_{rev}/T[/itex] and not [itex]S=dq_{rev}/T[/itex]. This means that a change in entropy will be lower at higher temperature. So if the entropy is already, say, 5J/K then a higher temperature will mean this: If you add a little more heat the entropy will not increase by as much as it would at a lower T. One analogy to this is if you have a neat room and throw a sock on the floor it will increase the messiness of the room more than if you threw the same sock on the floor of a sloppy room. The sloppy room is still messier than the neat one, but the one additional sock just doesn't increase it by that much.

At the same pressure, the same pure substance will always have a higher entropy at higher temperatures. You can see this because the third law implies that we can take the entropy of a crystaline pure substance at 0°K to be 0. This means:
[tex]S=\int_{0}^{T_1}dS=\int_{0}^{T_1}\frac{dq_{rev}} {T}[/tex]
So if [itex]S_1[/itex] is the entropy at [itex]T_1[/itex] and [itex]S_2[/itex] is the entropy at [itex]T_2[/itex] and [itex]T_1<T_2[/itex], then:
[tex]S_2=\int_{0}^{T_2}\frac{dq_{rev}} {T}= \int_{0}^{T_1}\frac{dq_{rev}} {T} + \int_{T_1}^{T_2}\frac{dq_{rev}} {T}[/tex]
[tex]=S_1 + \int_{T_1}^{T_2}\frac{dq_{rev}} {T}[/tex]
Since the last integral is positive [itex]S_2[/itex]>[itex]S_1[/itex]

Last edited:
pkossak said:
Also, just to see if I'm on the right track, could someone tell me if I'm right here.

A 1.0 kg chunk of ice at 0 C melts, absorbing 80000 cal of heat in the process. Which of the following best describes what happens to this system?
A. increased entropy b. lost entropy c. entropy maintained constant d. work converted to energy

It would be a. increased entropy, because as this happens, the process has an effect on its surroundings. This means the process is irreversible, and if its irreversible, the total entropy always increases.

Is that right?

Thanks again for your patience
I didn't see this before I started my rather long previous post, so I appologize for not answering it.

If the heat is supplied at 0°C, then the process is reversible, since for the system we have
[tex]\Delta S_{sys}=\int \frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}[/tex]
T is constant, so:
[tex]\Delta S_{sys}=\frac{Q}{T}=\frac{Q}{273.15°K}[/tex]
Whille for the surroundings, we have
[tex]\Delta S_{surr}=\int \frac{dQ_{rev}}{T}=\frac{-Q}{T}=\frac{-Q}{273.15°K}[/tex]
And these clearly sum to zero. However, notice that the question asked for the change in entropy in the system. This means that what happened in the surroundings is not relevant. Since the heat flowed into the system, its entropy increased.

Thank you very much for clearing all this up. I'm not sure if I'm grasping a complete understanding quite yet, but this has definitely helped a ton.

What is entropy and how does it relate to atoms?

Entropy is a measure of the randomness or disorder of a system. In terms of atoms, it refers to the number of ways in which the atoms can be arranged within a given space. The higher the entropy, the more disordered the system is.

Why do atoms tend to increase in entropy?

Atoms tend to increase in entropy because there are more ways for them to be arranged in a disordered state. As atoms move and interact with each other, they can take on a variety of positions and orientations, resulting in an increase in entropy.

What causes a decrease in entropy for atoms?

A decrease in entropy for atoms can occur when they are forced into a more ordered arrangement. This can happen through processes such as cooling, crystallization, or chemical reactions that result in the formation of more structured compounds.

How does a decrease in entropy affect the behavior of atoms?

A decrease in entropy can result in a decrease in the freedom of movement and interactions of atoms, making them more likely to form bonds and become part of a larger structure. This can also affect the physical and chemical properties of the atoms, as well as the overall behavior of the system they are a part of.

Can a decrease in entropy be reversed for atoms?

Yes, a decrease in entropy can be reversed through processes that increase disorder and randomness, such as heating, melting, or dissolving. However, it requires an input of energy to overcome the forces holding the atoms in a more ordered state.