1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Decreasing on the interval

1. Sep 1, 2006 #1
    When a question asks along the lines of :
    "If a function (g) is decrasing on the interval {x,x).....What would the limg'(x) be (As it approaches infinity)"

What are they looking for? and whatequation am I using? I'm not looking for too much info on how to do, but which direction should I go in? I'm not sure what topic this would lie in.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

If g(x) is decreasing on the interval, say [tex]x\in \[ a,\infty)[/tex] then, unless you know more about the function g(x), all you can say is [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}g^{\prime}(x)<0,[/tex] at least that I can tell.
  4. Sep 2, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"decreasing on the interval {x, x)" makes no sense. In any case, it order to talk about a limit at infinity, we would have to know what happens on some unbounded interval, say [itex](a, \infty)[/itex] as benorin said. And you still can't answer the question except as he said.

For example, if g(x)= ax, with a any negative number, then g'(x)= a for all x and so has limit a. Without more information about g, the limit could be any negative number.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?