What is the limit of g'(x) on the interval (a, ∞) as x approaches infinity?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the limit of a function g'(x) as it approaches infinity, given that g(x) is decreasing on the interval. The participants are unsure of which direction to go in and what topic this would fall under. It is mentioned that to talk about a limit at infinity, the function must be known on an unbounded interval, and without more information about the function, the limit could be any negative number.
Sethka
When a question asks along the lines of :
"If a function (g) is decrasing on the interval {x,x)...What would the limg'(x) be (As it approaches infinity)"

What are they looking for? and whatequation am I using? I'm not looking for too much info on how to do, but which direction should I go in? I'm not sure what topic this would lie in.

Physics news on Phys.org
If g(x) is decreasing on the interval, say [tex]x\in \[ a,\infty)[/tex] then, unless you know more about the function g(x), all you can say is [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}g^{\prime}(x)<0,[/tex] at least that I can tell.

"decreasing on the interval {x, x)" makes no sense. In any case, it order to talk about a limit at infinity, we would have to know what happens on some unbounded interval, say [itex](a, \infty)[/itex] as benorin said. And you still can't answer the question except as he said.

For example, if g(x)= ax, with a any negative number, then g'(x)= a for all x and so has limit a. Without more information about g, the limit could be any negative number.

What does "decreasing on the interval" mean?

"Decreasing on the interval" refers to a function or data set that shows a consistent decrease in values over a specific interval or range of values. This means that as the input values increase within the interval, the output values decrease.

How do you identify if a function is decreasing on a given interval?

To determine if a function is decreasing on a given interval, you can calculate the slope of the function over that interval. If the slope is negative, then the function is decreasing. You can also graph the function and visually observe if the line is sloping downwards within the given interval.

Can a function be decreasing on one interval and increasing on another?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be decreasing on one interval and increasing on another. This can happen when a function has multiple local minimums and maximums within its overall domain.

What is the difference between decreasing on an interval and decreasing over the entire domain?

When a function is decreasing on an interval, it means that the decrease in values only occurs within that specific interval. However, if a function is decreasing over the entire domain, it means that the values decrease consistently throughout the entire range of input values.

How is the concept of decreasing on an interval used in real-world applications?

The concept of decreasing on an interval is commonly used in various fields of science, such as economics, physics, and biology. It can help to analyze trends and patterns in data and make predictions about future behavior. For example, studying the decrease in population over a certain time interval can help predict the future population trend.