Define Black Holes w/o Asymptotic Flatness?

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a black hole and the role of asymptotic flatness in that definition. It is argued that asymptotic flatness may not be necessary and that a well-defined null infinity can exist without it. The concept of a singularity and its relationship to null infinity is also explored. The possibility of generalizing the definition of a black hole to other contexts, such as asymptotically anti-deSitter spacetimes, is discussed, with some complexities arising in the case of apparent horizons. It is noted that while the concept of a black hole can be generalized to these contexts, the subtleties involved in this generalization are still an open question in mathematics.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I see statements that in order to define a black hole, we need asymptotic flatness, but this only seems to be necessary because we want to define the horizon as the boundary of a region from which light can't escape to null infinity ([itex]\mathscr{I}^+[/itex]). It seems like you can have a well defined null infinity without having asymptotic flatness. E.g., Hawking and Ellis describe de Sitter space as having a Penrose diagram that looks like a square, and they do refer to the top edge of the square as [itex]\mathscr{I}^+[/itex]. (This means that [itex]\mathscr{I}^+[/itex] in de Sitter space is spacelike rather than timelike.)

So can't we define a black hole simply by saying that light can't escape to [itex]\mathscr{I}^+[/itex]? I guess this raises the point of what general definition we would have in mind for [itex]\mathscr{I}^+[/itex]. H&E don't actually give an explicit definition, but it seems like the thrust of it is that it's the graveyard of lightlike geodesics on a Penrose diagram, and implicitly I think the intention is that a singularity isn't part of [itex]\mathscr{I}^+[/itex], even though light rays can end up there. So I suppose we want the definition to be that it's the graveyard of complete lightlike geodesics.

If asymptotic flatness really is necessary in order to define black holes, then it seems like we can't, for example, define black holes in de Sitter space. This seems silly to me -- if we lived in de Sitter space, we could certainly tell what was and what wasn't a black hole, couldn't we?

[EDIT] Hmm... possibly this answers my question: http://relativity.livingreviews.org/open?pubNo=lrr-2001-6&page=articlese2.html "Similar definitions of a black hole can be given in other contexts (such as asymptotically anti-deSitter spacetimes) where there is a well defined asymptotic region." Geroch is talking about a-dS, not dS, but the concept seems the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that seems reasonable and consistent with generalization of ADM/Bondi mass to any spacetime with a well defined, open, asymptotic region.

For horizons, even in a closed spacetime, it would seem that some definitions of apparent horizon would work. It also seems like singularity defined as curvature becoming infinite should work.

There are some subleties with apparent horizons in the context of asymptotic AdS or DS spacetimes. But in principle, you can generalize Reissner Nordstrom and Schwarzschild black holes to the case of a nonvanishing cc without too much fuss, at least naively.

For a treatment more in the spirit of Hawking and Ellis (for instance trying to generalize the singularity theorems and cosmic censorship) is of course far more subtle and I believe still an open mathematics question.

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is due to the immense mass of the object, which causes a distortion in the fabric of space-time.

What is meant by "asymptotic flatness" in the definition of black holes?

Asymptotic flatness refers to the assumption that the spacetime surrounding a black hole is flat at infinity. This means that the curvature of space-time approaches zero as you move away from the black hole, similar to the concept of a flat surface in Euclidean geometry.

Why is asymptotic flatness important in defining black holes?

Asymptotic flatness is important because it allows us to define the properties of a black hole based on its boundary, known as the event horizon, without having to consider the complex curvature of space-time near the singularity. This simplifies the mathematical calculations and makes it easier to study and understand black holes.

How do scientists detect black holes if they cannot be seen?

Scientists use various methods to detect the presence of a black hole, such as observing its effects on the surrounding matter and light. This can include studying the motion of stars and gas around the black hole, detecting X-ray emissions from the accretion disk, and observing gravitational lensing effects on distant objects.

Can black holes be destroyed or disappear?

Based on our current understanding, black holes cannot be destroyed or disappear. They can only grow larger by absorbing matter and merging with other black holes. However, there are theories that suggest black holes may eventually evaporate due to Hawking radiation, but this process would take an incredibly long time for any significant changes to be observed.