Defining electrostatic potential field

In summary: Thanks! I'll try that. In summary, the electric field cannot be defined as an electrostatic potential field because the divergence of the field is not zero.
oneofmany850

Homework Statement

In a device called a betatron, charged particles in a vacuum are accelerated by the electric
field E that necessarily accompanies a time-dependent magnetic field B(t).
Suppose that, in cylindrical coordinates, the magnetic field throughout the betatron at
time t can be approximated by
$$B = Kr^nt e_z$$
where K and n are positive constants. Assuming that the companion electric field takes the
form
$$E = E_φ(r) e_φ$$
express E in terms of r, K and n.
What mathematical feature of the electric field makes it impossible to define an
electrostatic potential field in this case? Explain your answer in two or three sentences.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Faradays law I get
$$E= -\frac{1}{2} Kr^{n+1} e_\phi$$
I'm not sure which feature of the field makes it impossible to define an electrostatic potential field. I'm thinking it might be that the E field is not conservative but I'm not sure why. Also the field is being generated by moving charges so I'm not sure how that can generate an electrostatic field. I wondered if the power of r had something to do with it.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
Think you're doing fine. First part is answered. And you're thinking in the right direction. But
oneofmany850 said:
Also the field is being generated by moving charges
isn't the idea with betatrons. They get their field from some external current supplier. So stick to the conservativeness. In integral form it gets you a potential function. What's the derivative form for the comfortable choice of coordinates here ?

BvU said:
Hi,
Think you're doing fine. First part is answered. And you're thinking in the right direction. But
isn't the idea with betatrons. They get their field from some external current supplier. So stick to the conservativeness. In integral form it gets you a potential function. What's the derivative form for the comfortable choice of coordinates here ?
The question asks for just a few sentences as explanation which is throwing me off thinking they don't want me to do an operation on the E field to determine if the field is conservative by E=-gradV or to show CurlE=0. I'm assuming it can be done by inspection. I have this written down so far:
The circular field lines mean that is has a non zero circulation and so it is not a conservative E field. Thus CurlE is not equal to zero and so the region is not simply connected therefore we cannot define an electrostatic potential field.
Is there a feature of the E field equation which I can use to justify it not being a simply connected region?

I should add that the field lines being circular is inferred from another part of the question which suggests this by asking if they point clockwise or anticlockwise from a particular viewpoint. I don't think this is the right way to go about this question though.

Check your Maxwell ! ##\nabla \times \vec E## can be nonzero (##\vec B## varies in time !). But ##\nabla\cdot\vec E## should be zero. Hence my
BvU said:
What's the derivative form for the comfortable choice of coordinates here ?
for ##\vec E = E_φ(r) e_φ##

oneofmany850 said:
The question asks for just a few sentences as explanation which is throwing me off thinking they don't want me to do an operation on the E field to determine if the field is conservative by E=-gradV or to show CurlE=0. I'm assuming it can be done by inspection. I have this written down so far:
The circular field lines mean that is has a non zero circulation and so it is not a conservative E field. Thus CurlE is not equal to zero and so the region is not simply connected therefore we cannot define an electrostatic potential field.
Is there a feature of the E field equation which I can use to justify it not being a simply connected region?
BvU said:
Check your Maxwell ! ##\nabla \times \vec E## can be nonzero (##\vec B## varies in time !). But ##\nabla\cdot\vec E## should be zero. Hence my

for ##\vec E = E_φ(r) e_φ##
So $$divE = \frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{d\psi}-\frac{1]{2}Kr^{n+1} = 0$$
It equals zero as K, r and n are constants and there is no psi component to differentiate. Thus the divergence being zero implies that it is rotational and therefore is not conservative so we can't define an electrostatic potential field?

Well now! How did you determine this divergence ?
$$ \nabla\cdot\vec E = \frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{d\psi}-\frac{1}{2}Kr^{n+1} = 0 \ \ ?$$

BvU said:
Well now! How did you determine this divergence ?
$$ \nabla\cdot\vec E = \frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{d\psi}-\frac{1}{2}Kr^{n+1} = 0 \ \ ?$$
I think I'm dong the divergence in cylindrical coordinates incorrectly. I assumed because the E field is given for just the unit vector e_\phi then E_r and E_z equal zero. So just doing the partial differentiation on the phi component of E gives zero as there is no phi to differentiate?? Or am I supposed to differentiate r here?

BvU said:
Think you're doing fine. First part is answered
Have to come back on that. How do you go from the given ##B_z## to ##E_\phi ## ?

And what you meant to typeset in ##\LaTeX## was of course
$$\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial\phi}\left (-\frac{1}{2}Kr^{n+1} \right) $$ wasn't it ? And it's zero alright.

Only I got ##E_\phi = - \displaystyle {Kr^{n+1}\over n+2}## -- small detail. Divergence ##{1\over r} {\partial E_\phi\over \partial \phi}## is zero.​

And we can't write ##\vec E ## as a gradient of a potential because the curl of a gradient is zero and the curl of this ##\vec E## is not. The non-conservativeness you started out with.

BvU said:
Have to come back on that. How do you go from the given ##B_z## to ##E_\phi ## ?

$$\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial\phi}\left (-\frac{1}{2}Kr^{n+1} \right) $$ wasn't it ? And it's zero alright.

Only I got ##E_\phi = - \displaystyle {Kr^{n+1}\over n+2}## -- small detail. Divergence ##{1\over r} {\partial E_\phi\over \partial \phi}## is zero.​

And we can't write ##\vec E ## as a gradient of a potential because the curl of a gradient is zero and the curl of this ##\vec E## is not. The non-conservativeness you started out with.
the line integral of E equals the negative derivative of the surface integral of B. So

$$E_\phi 2\pi r = -\frac{d}{dt}[Kr^n t \pi r^2] = -K\pi r^{n+2}$$
so $$E_\phi = -\frac{1}{2}K r^{n+1}$$ since we took the 2pi r over.

Yes the phi component of the divergence was meant to be as you typed. But I can't find any examples of taking the divergence of a vector field in cylindrical coordinates so I'm not sure why it equals zero. But the last statement you made is helpful and explains the answer.

oneofmany850 said:
the line integral of E equals the negative derivative of the surface integral of B. So

$$E_\phi 2\pi r = -\frac{d}{dt}[Kr^n t \pi r^2] = -K\pi r^{n+2}$$
so $$E_\phi = -\frac{1}{2}K r^{n+1}$$ since we took the 2pi r over.

Yes the phi component of the divergence was meant to be as you typed. But I can't find any examples of taking the divergence of a vector field in cylindrical coordinates so I'm not sure why it equals zero. But the last statement you made is helpful and explains the answer.
oh I see lol I forgot to do the integral. So yes your answer is correct. But why does the divergence of this equal zero and how do we know the curl of E is zero also?

Re
oneofmany850 said:
examples of taking the divergence of a vector field in cylindrical coordinates
When I google "divergence in polar", I end up here

And there I found the curl for the Maxwell eq ##\nabla\times \vec E = -{\partial \vec B\over \partial t}## (so the curl of ##\vec E## is not zero!), as well as ##{1\over r}{\partial E_\phi\over \partial \phi}## for ##\nabla\cdot\vec E##, which is zero.

BvU said:

BvU said:
Re
When I google "divergence in polar", I end up here

And there I found the curl for the Maxwell eq ##\nabla\times \vec E = -{\partial \vec B\over \partial t}## (so the curl of ##\vec E## is not zero!), as well as ##{1\over r}{\partial E_\phi\over \partial \phi}## for ##\nabla\cdot\vec E##, which is zero.
okay, I think I have finally wrapped my head around it now haha. Thanks for all your help. I see that it is because this magnetic field is time dependent which means that the curl of E is not zero which means that we can't write the E field as a gradient since the curl of a gradient is zero. This leads us to the conclusion that this E field is non conservative because the electric field is irrotational and it produces circular field lines and thus defining an electrostatic potential field in this case is impossible.

Likes BvU

1. What is an electrostatic potential field?

An electrostatic potential field is a region of space where electrically charged particles, such as electrons or protons, experience a force due to their electric charges. This force is caused by the interaction between the charges and the electric field present in the space.

2. What is the difference between an electrostatic potential field and an electric field?

An electrostatic potential field is a scalar field, meaning it has a magnitude but no direction. It describes the potential energy of a charged particle at a specific point in space. On the other hand, an electric field is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. It describes the force that a charged particle would experience at a specific point in space.

3. How is an electrostatic potential field defined mathematically?

An electrostatic potential field is defined as the negative gradient of the electric potential function. In other words, it is the rate of change of electric potential with respect to distance. Mathematically, it can be represented as: E = -∇V, where E is the electrostatic potential field, V is the electric potential function, and ∇ is the gradient operator.

4. What are the units of measurement for an electrostatic potential field?

The units of measurement for an electrostatic potential field depend on the units used for electric potential. In SI units, electric potential is measured in volts (V), so the units for electrostatic potential field would be volts per meter (V/m). In CGS units, electric potential is measured in statvolts (statV), so the units for electrostatic potential field would be statvolts per centimeter (statV/cm).

5. What are some real-life applications of electrostatic potential fields?

Electrostatic potential fields have numerous real-life applications, including in the design and functioning of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors. They are also used in electrostatic precipitators to remove particulates from industrial exhaust gases. Additionally, electrostatic potential fields are essential in medical imaging techniques like electrocardiography and electroencephalography.