Gravitational Waves: Definition & General Overview

In summary, gravitational waves are disturbances in the gravitational field that transmit energy. They can occur in both weak and strong gravitational fields, and their existence can be determined by computing the Bondi news function or using the Petrov classification in special cases. However, there is no general definition for gravitational waves in all spacetimes due to the lack of a universal definition for the energy of the gravitational field.
martinbn
Science Advisor
What are gravitational waves in general, not just in the weak field/linearized theory?

Likes bcrowell
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question.

I'm not sure that the issue is really the weak field approximation. Isn't the real issue something that occurs in other contexts, e.g., plain old E&M on a flat background? Say I have a space that's empty except for a point charge. In the rest frame of the charge, this is a static field. In a frame where the charge is moving, an observer at a particular point will see a time variation in the field, and will probably interpret this as a wave disturbance passing by. Indeed, according to this observer, energy is being transported by the field. However, there is no energy being transported to infinity.

For gravity, in spacetimes with special symmetries, I guess one way to go is to use the Petrov classification. This is analogous to defining (pure) EM waves as null fields (although there are exceptions).

If the spacetime is asymptotically flat, I believe you can compute the Bondi news function to decide whether there is radiation.

I doubt that there is a definition that works in general. To call something a gravitational wave, you want it to be something that's transmitting energy. But in GR we don't have a definition of the energy of the gravitational field, except in special cases such as asymptotically flat spacetimes.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and martinbn

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

2. How are gravitational waves detected?

Gravitational waves are detected using specialized instruments called interferometers. These instruments use lasers to measure tiny changes in distance caused by passing gravitational waves.

3. What is the significance of detecting gravitational waves?

Detecting gravitational waves allows us to study the universe in a completely new way. It provides us with a new tool for observing and understanding some of the most violent and energetic events in the universe, such as black hole mergers and supernova explosions.

4. Can gravitational waves travel through anything?

Gravitational waves can travel through any medium, including empty space. They are not affected by electromagnetic forces and can pass through objects that would block other forms of radiation, such as light.

5. Are there different types of gravitational waves?

Yes, there are three types of gravitational waves: continuous, burst, and stochastic. Continuous waves are produced by slowly rotating objects, burst waves are produced by sudden and violent events, and stochastic waves are produced by the collective effects of many sources.