1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Definition of Capacitance

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I would really appreciate clarification on the definition of capacitance in this context: Suppose I have 3 concentric metal spherical shells and they have charges Q1,Q2,Q3 and potentials 0,V,0 and radii a,b,c respectively, what is the capacitance of the configuration?

2. Relevant equations
    C=Q/V

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know what the capacitance is with only 2 spheres but I am not sure what it means with 3.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2
    Don't worry, I have figured it out! :)

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    I am inclined to answer although I am not 100% this solution is correct so please tell me if this is wrong.

As I'm sure your aware we calculate the capacitance for two concentric circles by
    [itex]C=Q/V \; , [/itex]
    where from Gauss's law we draw a sphere around the smallest shell.
    [itex]V=\int_{a}^{b}E dr = \frac{Q_{enc}}{4 \pi \epsilon} \int_{a}^{b} r^{-2} dr =\frac{Q_{enc}}{4 \pi \epsilon} \left(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b} \right)[/itex]
    Since we are explicitly given the charges on each sphere, I believe the enclosed charge should be that of the innermost sphere. Now here is where I am stuck, the charge described in the capacitance equation refers normally to have a charge q and -q on each side, I am therefore going to assume that Q=abs(Q1-Q2)/2. This is probably wrong but I can't see any other way.
    [itex]C_{a \rightarrow b}=\frac{2 \pi \epsilon |Q_{1}-Q_{2}|}{Q_{1}\left(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b} \right)} [/itex]

This result holds in the three sphere setup since we only considered the enclosed charge (from Gauss). Therefore this could be easily extended for the third shell giving a second capacitance seen between b and c.

Hope that helps, and isn't completely wrong!

5. Feb 13, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the implication if the inner and outer shells have the same ("zero") potential?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook